Jump to content


Ben Affleck And Henry Cavill are OUT. DC Comics To Rebuild.


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 11512 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:10 PM

The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. The British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.


https://www.hollywoo...hake-up-1142306

Sponsored Post

#2 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 19730 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:09 PM

Joel Schumacher:  “I ruined DC movies.”
Hack Snyder:  “Hold my beer!”

#3 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32173 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:38 AM

Cavill was ok as Superman. I had no complaints about him really.

The best Superman casting in the world wouldn’t have mattered with the pieces of shit that were Batman vs Superman and Justice League.

If it were my choice, I’d get rid of most of those JL actors except for the Wonder Woman babe.

The Flash kid seems like some cheap tv show actor. The TV Flash actor is more suitable for that character.

Momoa Aquaman is just there to be shirtless. I’m not believing him as Aquaman one bit. DC’s weak answer to Marvel’s Hemsworth Thor.

The Cyborg guy...I guess I’d give him a pass only because he wasn’t annoying.

Ben Affleck...yeah, he was a joke in Justice League. Unsurprising.


#4 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 24851 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

I agree, Cavill was fine as Superman.  I don't really like Amy Adams as Lois Lane to be honest, but that's another story.

I don't care for Affleck in general, but I don't think he was as bad as Batman as he could have been.  I liked Batman vs. Superman more than I liked Justice League.  Still, I'm glad they're replacing him as Batman.

With the exception of Gal Gadot, I don't think any of the other actors who played Justice League heroes were all that interesting.  And in all seriousness, Gadot is good at the role, it's not just her appearance.  The others just aren't that good at playing their respective roles.

I suspect the Legion of Doom will be much more interesting.

#5 Todem

Todem

    Brosaucerous

  • Members
  • 2346 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parkland, Florida
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:47 PM

Being a DC comics kid and a huge Superman fan as a kid......the DCU has been a flat out letdown.

But....at least we got Nolan's majestic Dark Knight trilogy. The very best comic book movies ever made IMO were Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. And it is not even close.

I did enjoy Wonder Woman a lot. Very good movie.

Superman vs Batman Directors cut was decent (nothing special)

Justice League was a total bomb and huge let down.

I actually had fun watching the Suicide Squad even though it is universally bashed.

Man Of Steel except the last 30 minutes.....was great.

Edited by Todem, 13 September 2018 - 12:47 PM.


#6 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9503 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:52 PM

I hope they carry on with the storyline that was developing, and not reboot the whole thing once again like they did with Spiderman TWICE. Ad as much as I liked Gal Gadot's acting, I din't think the Wonder Woman film was that well don, to be honest.

#7 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 19245 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:28 PM

Bottom line, they gave the keys to the DCEU to Zack Snyder. The wrong director and visionary for the DC characters.

#8 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6582 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

I never saw Justice League.  What're the main issues?  Too much going on?  No story?

This question from someone who didn't mind B v. S - I didn't find it memorable, but I didn't find it execrable, either.

Edited by toymaker, 13 September 2018 - 04:14 PM.


#9 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

    The Elitist Booby Type

  • Members
  • 9017 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Central KY

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

DC is caught between needing to mimic the near perfect, if not repetitive, mix of drama, comedy & action of Marvel and trying to be a darker, more adult comic movie based on comics that have no need to be dark & serious (outside Batman v. The Joker).

Plus...marvel basically owns the comic book movie genre and has almost worn it out so that there’s seemingly no room for more comic book movies outside of Batman.

#10 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32173 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 13 September 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

DC is caught between needing to mimic the near perfect, if not repetitive, mix of drama, comedy & action of Marvel and trying to be a darker, more adult comic movie based on comics that have no need to be dark & serious (outside Batman v. The Joker).

Plus...marvel basically owns the comic book movie genre and has almost worn it out so that there’s seemingly no room for more comic book movies outside of Batman.

As there are decades of stories to adapt (or original screenplays they’d like to write), there’s plenty of room for comic book movies.

Saying there’s no more room for comic book movies is the same as saying there’s no more room for horror movies, sci-fi, etc.

#11 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32173 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:39 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 13 September 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

I never saw Justice League.  What're the main issues?  Too much going on?  No story?

This question from someone who didn't mind B v. S - I didn't find it memorable, but I didn't find it execrable, either.

Bats vs Supes was like having a beagle pee on my new shoes.
JL was like having a Great Dane take a dump directly on my face.

My top 4 problems with JL in no particular order:

- poor casting
- lazy resolution to combat the villain...almost as if some 7 year old thought of it
- 2nd rate looking CGI despite the budget being massive
- unfunny jokes and overall weak dialogue

#12 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10256 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:30 AM

The only real issue here is massive relief the Affleck has gone....I can't stand his smug, twattish face at any price.

#13 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32173 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostFridge, on 14 September 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

The only real issue here is massive relief the Affleck has gone....I can't stand his smug, twattish face at any price.

That’s why his best suited role is here:

http://m.youtube.com...eature=youtu.be

http://m.youtube.com...ature=youtu.bet


Even without Affleck, Justice League would’ve been shit.
Look at Gal Gadot [really, look at her! ;) ]. I think she’s quite good as Wonder Woman and it still didn’t have a big enough affect on improving JL.

#14 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9503 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 14 September 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

The only real issue here is massive relief the Affleck has gone....I can't stand his smug, twattish face at any price.

That’s why his best suited role is here:

http://m.youtube.com...eature=youtu.be

http://m.youtube.com...ature=youtu.bet


Even without Affleck, Justice League would’ve been shit.
Look at Gal Gadot [really, look at her! ;) ]. I think she’s quite good as Wonder Woman and it still didn’t have a big enough affect on improving JL.

The Accountant was pretty good.

#15 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17762 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:12 AM

I won't miss Cavil man of steel and batman V superman were both awful.......i'm indifferent to Afflack.  as a matter of fact i don't object to any of this.  DC needs serious work,

Mick

#16 Rushman14

Rushman14

    Mr. Hollywood

  • Members *
  • 11855 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:21 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 14 September 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

I won't miss Cavil man of steel and batman V superman were both awful.......i'm indifferent to Afflack.  as a matter of fact i don't object to any of this.  DC needs serious work,

Mick

The stench of those movies were not the fault of the actors.

#17 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

    Crushed in Rio

  • Members *
  • 9503 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostRushman14, on 14 September 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 14 September 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

I won't miss Cavil man of steel and batman V superman were both awful.......i'm indifferent to Afflack.  as a matter of fact i don't object to any of this.  DC needs serious work,

Mick

The stench of those movies were not the fault of the actors.

They're the last thing to blame, that's for sure. Unless you want to mention how bad Holly Hunter and the dude who played Lex Luthor were in those movies...

#18 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 19730 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 14 September 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 14 September 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostFridge, on 14 September 2018 - 02:30 AM, said:

The only real issue here is massive relief the Affleck has gone....I can't stand his smug, twattish face at any price.

That’s why his best suited role is here:

http://m.youtube.com...eature=youtu.be

http://m.youtube.com...ature=youtu.bet


Even without Affleck, Justice League would’ve been shit.
Look at Gal Gadot [really, look at her! ;) ]. I think she’s quite good as Wonder Woman and it still didn’t have a big enough affect on improving JL.

The Accountant was pretty good.

His first 3 directorial films are great.  Gone Baby Gone is number one on my best of 2007 list which was a great year for movies with classics like No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood And Zodiac.

#19 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10256 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=vln9D81eO60


Prove positive of Afflecks boundless arsewankery.......

#20 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm always here.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostFridge, on 14 September 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=vln9D81eO60


Prove positive of Afflecks boundless arsewankery.......

Affleck's first up for the role of Muhammed in an Islamic take on The Life Of Brian.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users