Condemned Songs

Hi everyone. Hope you are all well enjoying life! I have been away a while engaging in life, honouring responsibilities:)

I have wrote and recorded a few songs. They are leaning towards standard songwriting, and not exactly technical - as I would like to achieve : ). Anyhoo they are o.k. I guess and I hope you get some sort of enjoyment out of them.

All the best!

Dreams Alive;

Fade;

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 3

holy crap, Stephen, those two songs are top notch, great stuff

Are all the songs on that channel yours ?? ..... I will give all of 'em a proper listen when I get home from work tonight

Both are really really good, and Fade has a super chorus with that nice chord progression

I'm impressed!

There's a real kind of melancholic 60s/indie vibe about them, and your voice is great.....I almost hear shades of Roy Orbison in it at times.

The chord progressions are interesting and the stripped back sound is crystal clear.

Well done!

• Like 1

Are all the songs on that channel yours ?? ..... I will give all of 'em a proper listen when I get home from work tonight

Both are really really good, and Fade has a super chorus with that nice chord progression

Thanks Lucas, that means a lot. Yes all the songs on the channel are mine. I wrote Addict and Space, though Space is performed by Karen Money - I've not gone through any procedure lol. Karen Money's voice sounds a bit like Karen Carpenter's, though it's not as beautiful and silky. Karen Money's voice is very soothing and spiritual -. Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.

Addict;

Space performed by Karen Money;

• Like 1

I'm impressed!

There's a real kind of melancholic 60s/indie vibe about them, and your voice is great.....I almost hear shades of Roy Orbison in it at times.

The chord progressions are interesting and the stripped back sound is crystal clear.

Well done!

Thanks for the words, it means a lot coming from people who are so musically aware.

To be honest I was apprehensive about putting them on here for that reason.

It's funny you picked up on the 60's/Indie vibe. I tried to get another sound, but kept veering back to the style here. My mom and dad have a lot to answer for. : )

Roy Orbison? What a complement! I love the big O. He's an inspiration for sure vocally and in another world to me. I'm conscious of getting a vibrato thing going to fill out a little.

I still practice my guitar, scales Legato etc, but you can't stop what results I suppose.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Thanks Lucas, that means a lot. Yes all the songs on the channel are mine. I wrote Addict and Space, though Space is performed by Karen Money - I've not gone through any procedure lol. Karen Money's voice sounds a bit like Karen Carpenter's, though it's not as beautiful and silky. Karen Money's voice is very soothing and spiritual -. Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35uY0jlo_mQ

A lovely song, and yes, total Karen Carpenter (which is not a bad thing -- that woman had an amazing voice, and so does Miss Money).

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35uY0jlo_mQ

A lovely song, and yes, total Karen Carpenter (which is not a bad thing -- that woman had an amazing voice, and so does Miss Money).

Absolutely! Her vocals are wonderful - fitting for this type of material too. Cheers JARG for the comment.

I'm hearing some heavy Radiohead influence, especially the vocals but also the composition/mixing.

Thanks stoopid, that means a lot!

They're strong tracks. Consider that encouragement to do more and maybe put them together as an album someday. There's some minor things I would suggest in the mixes, but overall they're strong enough for family/friends/casual sharing. You could always go back and remix later, with a sharper ear for things after you get through more songs. I've done that a few times with my own material.

• Like 1

I'm hearing some heavy Radiohead influence, especially the vocals but also the composition/mixing.

They're strong tracks. Consider that encouragement to do more and maybe put them together as an album someday. There's some minor things I would suggest in the mixes, but overall they're strong enough for family/friends/casual sharing. You could always go back and remix later, with a sharper ear for things after you get through more songs. I've done that a few times with my own material.

Thank you Stoopid. That's what I am finding. It's a continual, never ending learning process. Things I have done recently have better sonic qualities than songs before, and then you go back like you say, continually sometimes for me : )

I listen back to songs mixed and think what was I hearing or not at that point? I have a lot of material, where I am continually going back (hearing new things learning new techniques) - months, years now even! I listen to their 1st incarnation to be astounded at the change. It can be rewarding, but can also get very obsessive for me.

• Like 1

Thank you Stoopid. That's what I am finding. It's a continual, never ending learning process. Things I have done recently have better sonic qualities than songs before, and then you go back like you say, continually sometimes for me : )

I listen back to songs mixed and think what was I hearing or not at that point? I have a lot of material, where I am continually going back (hearing new things learning new techniques) - months, years now even! I listen to their 1st incarnation to be astounded at the change. It can be rewarding, but can also get very obsessive for me.

It also has to do with acquiring new tools (software in my case) and better playback equipment. My ears were fine in most cases but the equipment being used wasn't up to the task of presenting my ears with the sound in a way I was able to utilize them (my ears). That said, home studio building is a rabbit hole and money suck. So even that has compromises based on budget, room/space and other factors.

My only advice is be flexible and when you can upgrade weakest links in your production chain. Just because you start with a particular DAW doesn't mean you have to stick with it for eternity. Sound interfaces get better by the day, upgrade your old sound interface if it starts to lag behind. If someone recommends a better plugin/software tool and there's a trial available, see if it works better for you. And keep it simple! The tendency is to have a lot of plugin options and want to use them on every track in every song. Learn to only adjust when necessary. JARG for example sends me guitar tracks now that I rarely have to do much with, mostly just a pan tool to fit them into the sound stage. Sometimes that's literally it! What I'm saying is - sometimes less is more. If the input / original take is good, then you shouldn't have to do much with it post production. It's nice having the tools to polish rough tracks, but avoiding the rough track in the first place always yields a better recording in the end.

"Mastering" is a whole 'nother story. Having good equipment is really the key, and understanding proper compression strategies.

Edited by stoopid

It also has to do with acquiring new tools (software in my case) and better playback equipment. My ears were fine in most cases but the equipment being used wasn't up to the task of presenting my ears with the sound in a way I was able to utilize them (my ears). That said, home studio building is a rabbit hole and money suck. So even that has compromises based on budget, room/space and other factors.

Yes my mixing environment is something that is not set up optimally for mixing at the moment, for sure. I'm satisfied with certain results though not entirely. There is always a desire and awareness my audio presentation can improve, if money allowed.To as you say utilse ears effectively, entirely. I do prefer keeping it as simple as possible, whenever possible - close to the original signal source. Always a W.I.P. it seems, but great fun :). Cheers.

• Like 1

Yes my mixing environment is something that is not set up optimally for mixing at the moment, for sure. I'm satisfied with certain results though not entirely. There is always a desire and awareness my audio presentation can improve, if money allowed.To as you say utilse ears effectively, entirely. I do prefer keeping it as simple as possible, whenever possible - close to the original signal source. Always a W.I.P. it seems, but great fun :). Cheers.

Fwiw my ears told me what you confirmed, so the problem is more obvious then you want to realize. ;) Hence my post(s).

In time, if you stick with it and enjoy what you're doing, you'll want to improve the recordings and the inevitable expenditure of money will occur. Until then, you can get fairly good with whatever you have. Just know that it's acceptable at best and with a little strategic spending can bump against professional sounding. Most of us have been-there-done-that at some point in our home recording adventures. I've been through 3, maybe 4 full iterations of software and equipment in the past 17 years I've been actively recording/producing with a computer. The first couple times I tried top stay entirely in the lower budget space, but eventually realized the compromises I was never able to entirely mix away needed to be corrected. Decent usb interface, upgrading my DAW, spending some money on specific plugins (as well as decent guitar and drum virtual instruments), and getting okayish (but still lower end) monitors/studio grade sub finally got me to where I think I can hear most the issues and resolve them. Your headphones also matter, but knowing how far you can take a mix on headphones before needing to run it through the studio monitors is IMO more important.

Hoping you understanding I'm sharing my experience. You can't go wrong with whatever you decide as long as you're having fun doing it. What I'm sharing only applies once you start sharing the output with others, and expect them to treat the recordings seriously (like they would any other commercial release). We're all friendly here, so that isn't and wasn't the expectation when posting tracks to this forum. It would be a shame though if that's all these recordings were to ever become.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Hey stoopid, no worries, I appreciate you taking the time to share - I obviously find it really very interesting and helpful(I'm a bit obsessed with home recording) :). I've been recording music since around 1999/2000. I'm at a point now where I have soaked up insight from various sources but still hear the gap from where it is, to where it could potentially be. Certain areas you mention are the ones I have been constantly thinking of for a while now.To be honest, I don't want to mix too much more until I bring certain areas up a notch - monitors and recording environment, a question of finances. Its like you say I don't want to compromise, knowing that these areas need to be addressed, primarily - I'm always checking out new software and new approaches : ). Cheers :cheers:
  • Like 1

I like the punch of the drums on Phony, but they're VERY dry. A touch of drum room reverb would help unify the drum track(s). The rest of the instruments fit together very well, especially after the chorus kicks in. The drums won't jump so much with a bit of reverb, and should help them sit better with the rest of the instrumentation. That's really the only thing I can hear first listen. Very clean/tight production. Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I like the punch of the drums on Phony, but they're VERY dry. A touch of drum room reverb would help unify the drum track(s). The rest of the instruments fit together very well, especially after the chorus kicks in. The drums won't jump so much with a bit of reverb, and should help them sit better with the rest of the instrumentation. That's really the only thing I can hear first listen. Very clean/tight production.

Thanks Stoopid. I agree with the drums. It was a conscious decision to go for a dry garage sound - Weezer Blue album. I would usually add more reverb especially with a slow tempo song such as this - matching bpm sort of thing. Though not the eighties snare lol : ). Thanks for taking the time to write

I like the punch of the drums on Phony, but they're VERY dry. A touch of drum room reverb would help unify the drum track(s). The rest of the instruments fit together very well, especially after the chorus kicks in. The drums won't jump so much with a bit of reverb, and should help them sit better with the rest of the instrumentation. That's really the only thing I can hear first listen. Very clean/tight production.

Thanks Stoopid. I agree with the drums. It was a conscious decision to go for a dry garage sound - Weezer Blue album. I would usually add more reverb especially with a slow tempo song such as this - matching bpm sort of thing. Though not the eighties snare lol : ). Thanks for taking the time to write

Dry can definitely work, but you also don't want distracting. Not sure if I would quite classify the effect here as distracting, just figure I'd point out what caught my attention. Look forward to more tracks. :)

• Like 1

This song is dedicated to all you 80's metal heads. Treeduck, Fridge, Earl, Ibanezjam anyone else etc

With all the sadness and melancholy going around, I got to thinking about the eighties. The music at least had such joie de vivre about it. Driving around, Van Halen blasting! : ) And with all the legends passing, I got reflective and did a song. This is in no way mixed, honed, or mastered properly. I've just banged it out in the spirit of 'fun' and how (especially Van Halen) music of that time means. Sonically it's far too pushed for my liking with no headroom (guitars especially), which I'd work on : ) There's no vox, so you won't suffer too much.

Really its not representational of my music but more of those days, at least that's what's intended. : ) The solo demonstrates the lack of persistence. :P A bit of fun - enjoy if you can. Carpe Diem!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bS3iMeuC9aLB8lQ7ZY-sNfepgN1t7wr7/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1