stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:41 AM

View PostFridge, on 19 December 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

What is this "buy" you speak of?

Haha you forgot to put on your eye patch before posting.  Don't confuse the old man!  :P

Sponsored Post

#42 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, building plastic models [Of almost all kinds], having fun,Talking with friends!

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 17 December 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Recieved Donna Summer's "The Journey- The Very Best of Donna Summer."  My first wife used to have a tape or vinyl of the hit "She works Hard for the money" and I thought I'd had that song on a  disco CD I bought 20 years ago. after the divorce. Well, I hadn't now I have all the songs she put out that I can remember....
Posted Image

Just got the second half of what I bought that day, The Three CD set of Donna stuff that I didn't have Then.  There were some songs the same, but this deluxe set had some cool extras!
Posted Image

#43 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, building plastic models [Of almost all kinds], having fun,Talking with friends!

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

The Doors.  Had Four Albums before today.  The Original 1st album,  and The Best of The Doors. Next I purchased Morrison Hotel back in the nineties, because I'd just learned that that was the album with the song "Waiting For The Sun" even though that was the name of an earlier album, And just a few years ago, "L.A. Woman  40 Anniversary Edition". Now, I just received "Strange Days",  "Waiting For The Sun" and "The Soft Parade", The Second, Third and Fourth albums.  Remembered a bunch of tunes I've been missing... since they were on the radio...
Posted Image

#44 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:23 PM

Procol Harum and "Friday On My Mind" by The Easybeats arrived today.  
Procol Harum was a REAL surprise.  The original album, plus literally TONS of Extras.  Alternate takes, stereo/mono mixes, BBC takes, even Live takes...
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is The Group that made the song "Friday On My Mind" a hit in 1966.  It made it big in the U.S. and around the globe.  Being an 'Australian' group, [the band's parents had moved there for various reasons] George Young, and Harry Vanda, the writers of the song, and yes, George Young is the older sibling of both Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC.  In 2007, "Friday on My Mind" was added to the National Film and Sound Archive's Sounds of Australia registry.  It was a song that stuck in my mind even though I never bought the '45' of it, just like "The Last Time" by The Rolling Stones. Since then, I've found out, through my meanderings, that The Who Also made a recording of "The Last Time" during their recording days...[I own THAT too! I'm into odd things!]  
Posted Image

#45 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

Received The third album by New England, "Walking Wild" today,  I've Had The original first album since it came out in 1978,  the hit was "Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya" which was Kinda big on the radio here in the States...Paul Stanley of KISS helped to produce it. and though I saw the 2nd album when It came out, I didn't buy it.  Don't know WHY, probably lack of funds.  now it is on the way to completing the three that are still out there.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by OldRUSHfan, 16 January 2019 - 10:28 PM.

#46 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

The Second New England album arrived today, and the Johnny Cash album I ordered on Monday.   It's the one Where Johnny did some 'modern' songs "Rusty Cage" by Soundgarden among others.  His album is called "Unchained" and it's a GREAT ALBUM!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1051 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 17 January 2019 - 09:23 PM, said:

The Second New England album arrived today, and the Johnny Cash album I ordered on Monday.   It's the one Where Johnny did some 'modern' songs "Rusty Cage" by Soundgarden among others.  His album is called "Unchained" and it's a GREAT ALBUM!
Posted Image
Posted Image

I remember this when it was released.  Good album.  Kinda resurrected a stalled career if I recall.

#48 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

Are my posts being deleted or something?  I remember responding to this post by Stupid...
Anyway, I too remember that the album was a shot of adrenalin for Johnny!  Made people realize he was a real talent, and always had been.
Posted Image

#49 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Just Received Black Sabbath's "13". got interested from CSI, The original series season14. When Black Sabbath was in an episode.  Excellent album!
Posted Image

#50 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1051 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 18 January 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

Anyway, I too remember that the album was a shot of adrenalin for Johnny!  Made people realize he was a real talent, and always had been.

I'm afraid what happens is music falls into and out of favor, kinda like fashion and other things that hinge on style.  Few songs from an era get played much after that era ends.  Really, only the greatest music of each generation gets any attention from the next generation.  And even then, after a few generations pass there's fewer and fewer people actively listening to an artist.  The Beatles are fading.  No shit.  A very tiny percent of young people like or seek out their music, and most of their original fans from the 60s and 70s are dead or dying.  It's a sad way to look at OUR time on this earth, but it really puts things into perspective.  Even blazing stars fade out on a long enough timeline.  Since almost none of us fit that description, we're more like cosmic blips.  Anyway, good morning.  :P

#51 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1051 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

On a more positive note, one of the reasons I like following this thread is it reminds me of artists I've once loved and don't listen to much anymore, or need to 'rediscover'.  It's only through our memories that music lives on.  Yes, that also applies to loved ones and pets.

#52 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

View Poststoopid, on 27 January 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

View PostOldRUSHfan, on 18 January 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

I'm afraid what happens is music falls into and out of favor, kinda like fashion and other things that hinge on style.  Few songs from an era get played much after that era ends.  Really, only the greatest music of each generation gets any attention from the next generation.  And even then, after a few generations pass there's fewer and fewer people actively listening to an artist.  The Beatles are fading.  No shit.  A very tiny percent of young people like or seek out their music, and most of their original fans from the 60s and 70s are dead or dying.  It's a sad way to look at OUR time on this earth, but it really puts things into perspective.  Even blazing stars fade out on a long enough timeline.  Since almost none of us fit that description, we're more like cosmic blips.  Anyway, good morning.  :P

That's What I'm using this thread for from now on myself.  Thanks for putting my thoughts into usable words also!
Posted Image

#53 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

That's partly why I made this thread!  Just received part of my order of the Krokus albums I used to have on Vinyl.  Also received my album of "Wild Thing The Very Best Of The Troggs" I find a bunch of songs from the Series DVD's I watch.  "With A Girl Like You" was a song I got from CSI:NY, and I've got a BUNCH of newer type 'popular' stuff from that show, NCIS, and the original CSI, and other shows.  The Troggs tune was one i Might have remembered from what I listened to on AM radio way back when.  The first song I remember hearing was "The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Wimoweh" by The Tokens on the radio in the fall of '61 when my sister was babysitting me once...
Posted Image

#54 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 8847 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:47 PM

Just got the last of my purchases for The end of Feb. and early March.  The Burton Cummings Collection, The History of The Dave Clark Five, The Soundtrack of Out Lives- Golden Greats No. 1, The Best of Gerry And The Pacemakers, The Rolling Stones- Undercover, Witherfall- Nocturns And Requiems, Witherfall- A  Prelude to Sorrow, RAMONES- Anthology,
The Essential CLASH, Scorpions- Taken By Force, Kamelot- Epica, Kamelot- The Shadow Theory, Heart- Jupiter's Darling, Heart- Fanatic, Heart- Red Velvet Car, Heart- Beautiful and Broken.  Wow.  that's A BIG addition to my library!
Posted Image

#55 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1051 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

I really should have some Heart in my collection.  A truly great band.  My parents liked them quite a bit, so I think there was a stigma in my mind with them as a result ("parent's music... ew!").  Moody Blues, Boston, Fleetwood Mac.  So many great 70s and 80s rock bands I don't listen to on my own but probably would/should.

So... I guess now I need to acquire some of these band's music!  :P

#56 stoopid

stoopid

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1051 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:04 PM

I should note, a few years ago I got Back in Black (ac/dc) because I like a few songs off it, and it was perhaps the first of my parent's music I've owned for my own enjoyment.  But that's the only one I can think of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users