Vapor Trails: Swept beneath the surface

PermanentMovingSignals

One of the worst albums on the planet Earth.

Considering you are a broken record, SPEAK FOR YO'SELF MUTHATRUKKER!!!

Jokes. I love you.

• Like 2

Vapor Trails is not grunge.

Sorry I didn’t quite mean it that way but there is a rawness to it,particularly Alex’s guitar.I read in a guitar mag of the time how Alex was digging the return of the guitar through grunge.Certainly their songwriting and arrangements are step above the simplicity of grunge but the overall feel particularly on the original mix is grungy.It’s as if Alex has plugged into Neil’Rust Never Sleeps era’Young amp set up .Also in that guitar mag interview he said he kept away from solos as he felt that it was to be a more direct,cohesive group effort.Don’t have the mag anymore but remember it well because I was trying to find out where his head was.All power to the band for trying something different but for me it didn’t work entirely.imo.Still I give most songs on VT a big listen and today I gave the remix a run through which I prefer.

RE: the lack of solos, it was an interesting idea for Alex and Ged to switch roles, with Geddy's bass taking more of a lead role. Although I love the album (Earthshine, Sweet Miracle, Secret Touch...) , I'm not sure the no-leads approach really worked that well in the big picture. Bass-wise, I wish Geddy would have played it a bit more straight on the album, without the flamenco 16th notes all over the place.
  • Like 1

Vapor Trails is not grunge.

Sorry I didn’t quite mean it that way but there is a rawness to it,particularly Alex’s guitar.I read in a guitar mag of the time how Alex was digging the return of the guitar through grunge.Certainly their songwriting and arrangements are step above the simplicity of grunge but the overall feel particularly on the original mix is grungy.It’s as if Alex has plugged into Neil’Rust Never Sleeps era’Young amp set up .Also in that guitar mag interview he said he kept away from solos as he felt that it was to be a more direct,cohesive group effort.Don’t have the mag anymore but remember it well because I was trying to find out where his head was.All power to the band for trying something different but for me it didn’t work entirely.imo.Still I give most songs on VT a big listen and today I gave the remix a run through which I prefer.

RE: the lack of solos, it was an interesting idea for Alex and Ged to switch roles, with Geddy's bass taking more of a lead role. Although I love the album (Earthshine, Sweet Miracle, Secret Touch...) , I'm not sure the no-leads approach really worked that well in the big picture. Bass-wise, I wish Geddy would have played it a bit more straight on the album, without the flamenco 16th notes all over the place.

Earthshine was one of the first songs that stood out for me with its eerie backwards solo(reverse delay pedal,I bought one because of that solo).If only there had been a little more of that to break up the relentless power chording.

One of the worst albums on the planet Earth.

Considering you are a broken record, SPEAK FOR YO'SELF MUTHATRUKKER!!!

Jokes. I love you.

HAHAHAHAHA! Duh little brother! But what is a broken record in 2018? Oh yeah they still exist and are very popular! Just like my opinions on here! LOL! KIDDING! A JOKE!!!

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL MOTHERFUKKA!

I love you too!

I loved "Vapor Trails" when it came out.

Sadly it just turned into Mush music over the years. LOL!

MUSH RULES!!!!!!

I grabbed this album as soon as it came out. I was so happy Rush was back. VT was the sound of a band playing their asses off . I still play it a lot. I still play their last three albums a lot. With all the shit that's gone on in my life periodically, I find the lyrics on VT and S&A inspirational. It's what I listen to during my trips to the hospital.

I've never listened to the remix. I don't see what's so effing wrong with the original.

• Like 3

VP has a special place in my heart. Although I loved a lot of Rush's work in the 80's and 90's, it did seem as if they had gone on a slow downward spiral after Moving Pictures. so when it looked like they were done I was sad but figured it was just as well they were quitting before they started to suck. I had seen too many bands go that route.

And then, not only did they come back, they came back ON FIRE.

• Like 1

VP has a special place in my heart. Although I loved a lot of Rush's work in the 80's and 90's, it did seem as if they had gone on a slow downward spiral after Moving Pictures. so when it looked like they were done I was sad but figured it was just as well they were quitting before they started to suck. I had seen too many bands go that route.

And then, not only did they come back, they came back ON FIRE.

Indeed!

hqdefault.jpg

Personally, I love this album and consider it among their best, and I have been a Rush fan for 35 years. IMO Rush has one of the best discography's out there in terms of consistency. I'm not saying I love everything they have done, but I really believe each album has many great things about them.

It almost seems unfair to rate an album. I do it, so I'm not saying we shouldn't rate albums. But there is a sincerity to Vapor Trails that is stronger than any of their other albums. I see this as the album they had to make, that they had to get out of their systems. The fact they spent 14 months putting it together and also they rereleased it a few years ago, shows us what this one means to the band. To nitpick and grade it, it just feels like we're missing the point. I'm sure if I were to sit in front of them and say something like "I think this song is kind of forgettable" or "I think you guys rocked the shit out of this song" I don't think they would even respond to it, because they weren't trying to "rock out" or write the perfect hook. This came from the heart. There's much more to this album.

Personally, it speaks to me. I could relate to Neil's message of arriving at a better place after going through hell. It's not preachy at all - it's just hopeful, and he put it all out there for us to see (warts and all). And the music just helps deliver that message. It has a sense of urgency to it. But I get why it doesn't relate to a lot people. It's certainly a different album for them. Not very clean. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I liked it when it came out. For a while it sat there for me. But over the years, once I dropped all my expectations and just appreciated it for what it is, I've really grown to love this one.

Well said. Vapor Trails is unique for Rush. They really have no other album that wears its heart on its sleeve with such sincerity. Rush had to do it and it seemed painful reflected in the 14 months it took to make. I personally love this album. The sound issues embellish the albums emotive point of view and reaffirm the vulnerable place the guys were at - making such a faux pas as many see it. Its a polarizing album for sure, but I love it as much as other Rush albums including the detrimental qualities many hear.

Well put! And I completely agree regarding the 'sound issues'!

• Like 2