Vapor Trails: Swept beneath the surface

PermanentMovingSignals

Another cool thing about Vapor Trails was that it featured part four of the Fear series, adding a final chapter to the Fear series with Freeze, focusing on the fight or flight response. It's another song I really like. I love Alex's guitar tone on this one and Geddy's bass rocks.

I love Geddy's bass tone and playing style on Vapor Trails. This is the album he really started using more chords and playing them with that right-hand flamenco attack. But I could go on and on about this album because I think it is a work of art... The drums on Vapor Trails are unbelievable as well, and let's not forget Alex's riffs... Damn it, I love this album!

• Like 4

VT reminds me of REM ‘s Monster when it came out only because it had to be noisy.Now I find Neil’s lyrics very good sometimes brilliant but the music is just not there on a lot of songs.Although there is some enthusiastic playing on Freeze,especially the bass,it just doesn’t go anywhere.Like some posters here there are some songs I like on the remix and vice versa.But the original mix was terrible and was a major reason why I couldn’t take to it .One thing I do with albums/songs is I do an an unplugged and play the songs on acoustic guitar to see if they hold up.There’s a few here that don’t.Still I like the album a lot more than I first did.If it wasn’t Rush it would have collected dust(bin).

Freeze,especially the bass,it just doesn’t go anywhere.

When Geddy goes from his flamenco-style right hand attack rhythm playing to that melodic bass part in Freeze... That sounds so good to me. Love Geddy's bass on that song.

Edited by PermanentMovingSignals
  • Like 1

VT reminds me of REM ‘s Monster when it came out only because it had to be noisy.Now I find Neil’s lyrics very good sometimes brilliant but the music is just not there on a lot of songs.Although there is some enthusiastic playing on Freeze,especially the bass,it just doesn’t go anywhere.Like some posters here there are some songs I like on the remix and vice versa.But the original mix was terrible and was a major reason why I couldn’t take to it .One thing I do with albums/songs is I do an an unplugged and play the songs on acoustic guitar to see if they hold up.There’s a few here that don’t.Still I like the album a lot more than I first did.If it wasn’t Rush it would have collected dust(bin).

I love both this and Monster...

Freeze,especially the bass,it just doesn’t go anywhere.

When Geddy goes from his flamenco-style right hand attack rhythm playing to that melodic bass part in Freeze... That sounds so good to me. Love Geddy's bass on that song.

Amen.

• Like 1

Personally, I love this album and consider it among their best, and I have been a Rush fan for 35 years. IMO Rush has one of the best discography's out there in terms of consistency. I'm not saying I love everything they have done, but I really believe each album has many great things about them.

It almost seems unfair to rate an album. I do it, so I'm not saying we shouldn't rate albums. But there is a sincerity to Vapor Trails that is stronger than any of their other albums. I see this as the album they had to make, that they had to get out of their systems. The fact they spent 14 months putting it together and also they rereleased it a few years ago, shows us what this one means to the band. To nitpick and grade it, it just feels like we're missing the point. I'm sure if I were to sit in front of them and say something like "I think this song is kind of forgettable" or "I think you guys rocked the shit out of this song" I don't think they would even respond to it, because they weren't trying to "rock out" or write the perfect hook. This came from the heart. There's much more to this album.

Personally, it speaks to me. I could relate to Neil's message of arriving at a better place after going through hell. It's not preachy at all - it's just hopeful, and he put it all out there for us to see (warts and all). And the music just helps deliver that message. It has a sense of urgency to it. But I get why it doesn't relate to a lot people. It's certainly a different album for them. Not very clean. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I liked it when it came out. For a while it sat there for me. But over the years, once I dropped all my expectations and just appreciated it for what it is, I've really grown to love this one.

• Like 6

Personally, I love this album and consider it among their best, and I have been a Rush fan for 35 years. IMO Rush has one of the best discography's out there in terms of consistency. I'm not saying I love everything they have done, but I really believe each album has many great things about them.

It almost seems unfair to rate an album. I do it, so I'm not saying we shouldn't rate albums. But there is a sincerity to Vapor Trails that is stronger than any of their other albums. I see this as the album they had to make, that they had to get out of their systems. The fact they spent 14 months putting it together and also they rereleased it a few years ago, shows us what this one means to the band. To nitpick and grade it, it just feels like we're missing the point. I'm sure if I were to sit in front of them and say something like "I think this song is kind of forgettable" or "I think you guys rocked the shit out of this song" I don't think they would even respond to it, because they weren't trying to "rock out" or write the perfect hook. This came from the heart. There's much more to this album.

Personally, it speaks to me. I could relate to Neil's message of arriving at a better place after going through hell. It's not preachy at all - it's just hopeful, and he put it all out there for us to see (warts and all). And the music just helps deliver that message. It has a sense of urgency to it. But I get why it doesn't relate to a lot people. It's certainly a different album for them. Not very clean. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I liked it when it came out. For a while it sat there for me. But over the years, once I dropped all my expectations and just appreciated it for what it is, I've really grown to love this one.

You have just expressed so eloquently what I have been trying to say for years!

• Like 6

I agree. The album even being created and released is way more significant than the music. Musically, it’s definitely not in my top ten.

• Like 1

I agree. The album even being created and released is way more significant than the music. Musically, it’s definitely not in my top ten.

Its my personal favourite. It is the one Rush album I can play when I am not enjoying Rush. But musically speaking, I would rank AFTK through to MP as the bands finest work. After that, GUP and HYF. But VT has come to mean so much more to me than the band itself, it's a rare album by a band I love that I actually can play when not in the mood for that band at all. The lyrics and the songs move me, and when I've gone through really tough patches in life, it is a definite go too album.

If we are talking the album I think is the bands finest objectively, it's a tough match between AFTK, Hems, MP, HYF and GUP. I just have an extraordinary amount of love for these albums, and right now Rush are my mist played band. It's been about five years since I was this addicted to them.

But the album I have most consistently played and loved in the meantime has been Vapor Trails.

• Like 3

:yes:
  • Like 2

I have just played VT all the way through (original mix) all the way through for probably only the 50 th time.I enjoyed it,but not completely.No problem with the lyrics,some of Neil’s best in light of his then recent history.I put the CD through my mixing desk with all sorts of filters,defeat pads,etc,in other words to bring the wall of sound down.The bass is great,drums great,Alex grates,he is too loud in the mix.Is this his ultimate revenge of the HYF period?Still it was good but a mile away from their best but an important album still
  • Like 1

I have just played VT all the way through (original mix) all the way through for probably only the 50 th time.I enjoyed it,but not completely.No problem with the lyrics,some of Neil’s best in light of his then recent history.I put the CD through my mixing desk with all sorts of filters,defeat pads,etc,in other words to bring the wall of sound down.The bass is great,drums great,Alex grates,he is too loud in the mix.Is this his ultimate revenge of the HYF period?Still it was good but a mile away from their best but an important album still

Overall grade for this post: A-

:P

• Like 2

I have just played VT all the way through (original mix) all the way through for probably only the 50 th time.

Eek!....I don't think I've even listened to it 5 times , never mind 50.

• Like 1

I have just played VT all the way through (original mix) all the way through for probably only the 50 th time.

When an album is released by one of my fave artist and at first I don’t like it I keep playing it till I find something to like about it.Gradually I have grown to like some of VT but musically I see Rush lowering themselves to the grunge music of the time and I have nothing against grunge but could you see Soundgarden/Nirvana covering La villa Strangiato.I can see why younger fans may like VT for aggressive loudness but I think it is a miss step

Well said. Vapor Trails is unique for Rush. They really have no other album that wears its heart on its sleeve with such sincerity. Rush had to do it and it seemed painful reflected in the 14 months it took to make. I personally love this album. The sound issues embellish the albums emotive point of view and reaffirm the vulnerable place the guys were at - making such a faux pas as many see it. Its a polarizing album for sure, but I love it as much as other Rush albums including the detrimental qualities many hear.

• Like 3

Vapor Trails is not grunge.

Sorry I didn’t quite mean it that way but there is a rawness to it,particularly Alex’s guitar.I read in a guitar mag of the time how Alex was digging the return of the guitar through grunge.Certainly their songwriting and arrangements are step above the simplicity of grunge but the overall feel particularly on the original mix is grungy.It’s as if Alex has plugged into Neil’Rust Never Sleeps era’Young amp set up .Also in that guitar mag interview he said he kept away from solos as he felt that it was to be a more direct,cohesive group effort.Don’t have the mag anymore but remember it well because I was trying to find out where his head was.All power to the band for trying something different but for me it didn’t work entirely.imo.Still I give most songs on VT a big listen and today I gave the remix a run through which I prefer.
  • Like 2

When an album is released by one of my fave artist and at first I don’t like it I keep playing it till I find something to like about it.Gradually I have grown to like some of VT but musically I see Rush lowering themselves to the grunge music of the time and I have nothing against grunge but could you see Soundgarden/Nirvana covering La villa Strangiato.I can see why younger fans may like VT for aggressive loudness but I think it is a miss step

Grunge was pretty dead by the time VT arrived. Roll The Bones and CP are the two albums released during the grunge explosion. VT sounds little like the musical landscape of 2002.

I hope this album lays beneath the surface for the rest of human time.

May this piece of sonic shite lay down into the bottom of the ocean like the RMS Titanic.

The White Star Line.

Give me a Red Star instead.

"The way out is the way in"

Such a turd of a record.

Even the boys knew this album was shite and sounded like St. Anger by Metallica.

JUNK for human ears.

The remix cd is just another frisbee for me.

Throw it into the street and try to hit a coyote in the neck.

Makes a great beer coaster too. So Rush avant-garde. Dumb.