Do you consider Neil Peart a philosopher or not?

Texas King

Do you consider Neil Peart a philosopher or not?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider Neil Peart a philosopher or not?

Do I consider him a philosopher?

No.

He's an intelligent man who played drums and wrote lyrics...some of those lyrics being poetic masterpieces, some of them clunkers, some of them somewhere in between.

Let's not get carried away w/ the rest.

• Like 7

Oh no! I marked no but the interwebz says philosophers ask questions such as "Do humans have free will?" So I guess I am wrong . . . . :LOL: :LOL:

So I guess it could be either way. I tend to think of a "philosopher" as someone who has personal ideas attributed to them, like Sartre and existentialism. I think the last thing Neil would want would be people thinking he has formulated life ideas for others to follow. But in a general way, a philosopher is anyone who seeks wisdom and thinks about life, so maybe yes.

Is nothing about this man simple ?? :LOL: :LOL:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

A more intelligent drummer than most. At least he knows to swallow his spit instead of letting it seep out the edges of his mouth.

So, in the drumming world, he's a philosopher in that regard.

• Like 1

A more intelligent drummer than most. At least he knows to swallow his spit instead of letting it seep out the edges of his mouth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/its-official-drummers-are-smarter-than-you-and-everybody-else/amp/

This research says drummers are the smartest guys in the room. :)

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

potential peart lyric: aren't we all philosophers?

For a limited time, sure.

https://www.google.c...ybody-else/amp/

This research says drummers are the smartest guys in the room. :)

Probably funded by Tama.

• Like 2

Neil is a great song lyric writer who tends to philosophize. He observes the world around him and the main themes in his writing are self-actualization, individuality, and the purpose of existence.

I would say Neil is definitely a philosophical person, and a writer with great philosophical insights, but a philosopher he's not. A philosopher is someone who brings a new perspective on philosophy. Someone like Plato, Kant, Nietzsche, Spinoza, Descartes... Neil is a great drummer and a writer who writes philosophical song lyrics, and introspective/travel books.

• Like 2

If it has anything to do with the power of words to change lives, then there might be a case for it. Lots of fans have credited the messages in the music and lyrics with bringing them out of personal darkness and making them think about things. Even if those folks are just the young and untested, it's still something, I guess.
  • Like 2

Lots of fans have credited the messages in the music and lyrics with bringing them out of personal darkness and making them think about things. Even if those folks are just the young and untested, it's still something, I guess.

I do not consider myself 'young and untested', but I can definitely say Neil's lyrics have had a great impact on my life.

• Like 2

Lots of fans have credited the messages in the music and lyrics with bringing them out of personal darkness and making them think about things. Even if those folks are just the young and untested, it's still something, I guess.

I do not consider myself 'young and untested', but I can definitely say Neil's lyrics have had a great impact on my life.

Yeah, my subordinate clause and hedging closing statement were just used in the spirit of philosophy...

• Like 1

Neil is a rock drummer and lyricist who happens to be well read (relative to his peers). I don't think of him as a philosopher. At best, he strikes me as someone who dabbles in philosophical meanderings and whose dabbling sometimes influences his lyrics.
  • Like 4