2018-2019 College Slavery, err, Football Thread

pjbear05

Yeah, enough about the title, @Fordgalaxy made me do it.

Who you watching, pimping, booing etc?

I'm kicking it off tonight with Utah State and Sparty in East Lansing. Tomorrow juggling Florida Atlantic/Oklahoma, Notre Dame/Michigan, and God knows what else. Then a quiet day Sunday before heading to the bar for Miami/LSU at Jerruh's house.

Inedentured servitude, whatever. Who ya got?

• Like 2

Was glad to see Central Florida continue their winning streak after getting the royal shaft last season. These first few weeks are generally pretty easy for the OU's and Alabama's of the world, but there's always a chance. Remember Michigan losing to Appalachian State?

Was glad to see Central Florida continue their winning streak after getting the royal shaft last season. These first few weeks are generally pretty easy for the OU's and Alabama's of the world, but there's always a chance. Remember Michigan losing to Appalachian State?

Oh yeah that was a sick loss. Somehow I'm not sure how much of an impact a loss to ND will be for Michigan. But if they don't stellar conference season (ie beat Sparty and Ohio State), Harbaugh will be shown the door.

Penn State Penn State Penn State starts off tomorrow playing Appalachian State! That Michigan- App. State game has been on everyone's mind. (Saquon Barkley has moved on to the NFL, though. I wish him luck but will miss seeing him with Trace McSorley, they were awesome!)

Talking heads seem to have already written off the Pac-12 from having a team in the playoff, after Washington's loss to Auburn.

That game was way over hyped. It turned out to be a very ugly game. While the announcers were saying over and over again how critical that game was for the playoffs, I was sitting there watching it and thinking "NEITHER of these teams is going to be in the playoff."

• Like 1

And Penn State scores with :42 left and it's a tie game! Fun fourth quarter to watch!

lol, I like your optimistic determination to find a silver lining for Penn State. ;)

Penn State fans should actually be really worried about having to squeak out a win in overtime against App St. That does not bode well for Penn State's season.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

As for Notre Dame, already they are being hyped as a likely playoff participant. This seems to happen almost every year -- and there is no valid reason for it at all. I wonder if announcers get bonus checks for over hyping Notre Dame, sure seems like it.
  • Like 2

Oh yeah that was a sick loss. Somehow I'm not sure how much of an impact a loss to ND will be for Michigan. But if they don't stellar conference season (ie beat Sparty and Ohio State), Harbaugh will be shown the door.

Good news for him is that Michigan State looked very unimpressive with a one score win over Utah State.

• Like 1

As for Notre Dame, already they are being hyped as a likely playoff participant. This seems to happen almost every year -- and there is no valid reason for it at all. I wonder if announcers get bonus checks for over hyping Notre Dame, sure seems like it.

Notre Dame football cemented its "whore" status with NBC broadcasting most of their games. Nice homer status if you can get it.
  • Like 1

Notre Dame football cemented its "whore" status with NBC broadcasting most of their games. Nice homer status if you can get it.

NBC has a long time contract to show all Notre Dame home games. It's all about Touchdown Jebus™. Apparently the Catholic church has a lot of influence over something besides little boys.

"We played as bad as you can play." FAU head coach Lane Kiffin after the Owls were steamrolled by Oklahoma, 63-14.

Nah, it could have been worse ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Cumberland_vs._Georgia_Tech_football_game

NBC has a long time contract to show all Notre Dame home games. It's all about Touchdown Jebus™. Apparently the Catholic church has a lot of influence over something besides little boys.

I think it has a lot to do with past reputation. ND was a real powerhouse program at one time ( a long time ago) and has been living off that past rep ever since. While they are the most extreme example of that, there are other teams as well who seem to start off almost every season ranked in the top-25 even if they sucked the previous year.

"We played as bad as you can play." FAU head coach Lane Kiffin after the Owls were steamrolled by Oklahoma, 63-14.

Nah, it could have been worse ;)

https://en.wikipedia...h_football_game

PS -- notice who the winning coach of that game was? It was none other than the very same guy the Heisman Trophy is named after.

• Like 1

We SC Gamecock fans were hoping South Carolina could challenge Georgia for the SEC East title this year, and would prove it in this second week matchup, but SC got curbstomped by the Dawgs 41-17 instead. Ug. Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

At least this also happened in the SEC East, which I like:

Florida vs. Kentucky score: Wildcats shock Gators, end nation's longest active winning streak

After more than three decades, the streak is finally over in a disastrous night for the Gators

After 31 years, it's finally over.

Florida fell 27-16 Saturday night to visiting Kentucky, ending the Gators' 31-game winning streak over the Wildcats -- the longest active winning streak over an opponent in FBS. Their last win prior to Saturday night was Nov. 15, 1986, four years before Steve Spurrier took over in Gainesville, for some perspective. It's the first win for Kentucky in Gainesville since 1979, which was when Jimmy Carter lived in the White House, if you needed a little more of that perspective to soak in from this moment.

Rest of article:

https://www.cbssport...winning-streak/

• Like 1

Big 10 did not help its rep this weekend, with 7 out of 13 teams who played losing to unranked non-conference opponents, Wisconsin among them.

I am sorry to say that this Bama team might be Saban's best ever. Bama looking scary good.

Vandy went to Southbend and put fear deep into Irish fans' hearts, but didn't pull off the upset in the end. . Alas, so close . . . Voters in the polls might ask, however, why is ND ranked number 8 in the country when perpetually lowly Vanderbilt almost beats them at ND? If this game were taken as how ND would fare if it played in the SEC, ND would be a middle of the pack team at best. Then again, I suspect that about ND almost every year.

• Like 2