2018-2019 College Slavery, err, Football Thread

pjbear05

Bama reminds me of the UNLV basketball team that ended up losing in the finals to Duke. Who was the better team was not in question, just who would win. Win or lose, Alabama is heads and shoulders above every other team talent-wise.

Slight correction: The UNLV-Duke game in 1991 was the semifinal game. UNLV beat Duke by 30 in the 1990 final.

That's right, Duke beat Roy Williams' Kansas team in the '91 final.

That UNLV team was stacked and had all five starters drafted to the NBA.

unlv_running_rebels.jpg

Bama reminds me of the UNLV basketball team that ended up losing in the finals to Duke. Who was the better team was not in question, just who would win. Win or lose, Alabama is heads and shoulders above every other team talent-wise.

Slight correction: The UNLV-Duke game in 1991 was the semifinal game. UNLV beat Duke by 30 in the 1990 final.

unlv_running_rebels.jpg

I remember watching that UNLV team back when the Big West was part of Big Monday. UNLV was on pretty much every week and the games were over by the second TV timeout.

But their most impressive win was against Arkansas and Nolan RIchardson's 40 minutes of hell team. After they blew out the Hogs it became a very real possibility for them to go undefeated...something I didn't want to see happen, as the 1976 Hoosiers were the last undefeated team at the time (and now).

• Like 1

unlv_running_rebels.jpg

I remember watching that UNLV team back when the Big West was part of Big Monday. UNLV was on pretty much every week and the games were over by the second TV timeout.

But their most impressive win was against Arkansas and Nolan RIchardson's 40 minutes of hell team. After they blew out the Hogs it became a very real possibility for them to go undefeated...something I didn't want to see happen, as the 1976 Hoosiers were the last undefeated team at the time (and now).

Big Bobby Knight fan here.
  • Like 1

Maybe a Georgetown loss to Villanova in the '85 finals where some team is Villanova and Alabama is Georgetown. If it comes to that, hopefully Alabama won't resort to cheating like Georgetown did.

• Like 1

lamest weekend in the entire year coming up, almost no decent games scheduled, just a bunch of mismatches. I may go canoing on saturday instead of watching any of that crap Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

lamest weekend in the entire year coming up, almost no decent games scheduled, just a bunch of mismatches. I may go canoing on saturday instead of watching any of that crap

OW, that schedule is just pain inducing. Doing my turkey day food shopping instead, although a bar stop for lunch will get slotted in.

this will be the least interesting NCAA champ race finale in history. Bama is that good.

zzzz...

I agree.

They left LSU in their wake as so much roadkill.

I don't see anybody beating them at this point. They are just too good in every phase of the game.

Still -- there is always hope. Even the best teams can have a bad day. For Bama to lose, it is going to take a combination of them having a really bad day by their standards combined with some other team playing at the top of their performance potential.

Clemson looks like they could be that team, even if Alabamie just has a mediocre day instead of a really bad day.

Possibly Georgia as well.

However, you know what is going to happen if Georgia manages to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship Game? Alabama will be going to the playoffs anyway.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

this will be the least interesting NCAA champ race finale in history. Bama is that good.

zzzz...

I agree.

They left LSU in their wake as so much roadkill.

I don't see anybody beating them at this point. They are just too good in every phase of the game.

Still -- there is always hope. Even the best teams can have a bad day. For Bama to lose, it is going to take a combination of them having a really bad day by their standards combined with some other team playing at the top of their performance potential.

Clemson looks like they could be that team, even if Alabamie just has a mediocre day instead of a really bad day.

Possibly Georgia as well.

However, you know what is going to happen if Georgia manages to beat Alabama in the SEC Championship Game? Alabama will be going to the playoffs anyway.

As they should, I guess, based on precedent. I actually would prefer they just go by record and conference championships. I have no problem with a potential "best team" being left out. That's better to me than a bunch of guys in a room picking who they think is most deserving.
  • Like 1

Md , tied with anOSU late, has a TD overturned by replay, gets the ball at the one instead, and promptly gets a false start penalty.

Then on third down from the 7, they get a PI and score on a fumble recovery anyway, after running anOSU out of TOs.

Md , tied with anOSU late, has a TD overturned by replay, gets the ball at the one instead, and promptly gets a false start penalty.

Then on third down from the 7, they get a PI and score on a fumble recovery anyway, after running anOSU out of TOs.

Then with the cold calculation of Urban Meyer prepping for an interview that makes him look like a modern day Sgt. Schultz, anOSU matriculates the ball down the field for the tying score.

Md goes for 2 and fails, Fuckeyes win 52-51.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Enough to keep them out of the playoff conversation?

Can't see them passing OU if they win out, but short of that I think if they beat Michigan and NW, they've got a shot

Can't see them passing OU if they win out, but short of that I think if they beat Michigan and NW, they've got a shot

I think Georgia, LSU and OU would each have to lose one for OSU to get to #4.

Alabama should hide their smug faces in shame. Playing The Citadel this late in the season and allowing them to score 17 points. Pathetic on both counts.

They should drop to #10 for that.

:LOL:

• Like 2

I think Georgia, LSU and OU would each have to lose one for OSU to get to #4.

They couldn't possibly take a 2 loss LSU team that didn't even play in the conference title game over an anOSU team that won a major conference championship.

OK, let me trade the word "justify" for "take"...

Alabama should hide their smug faces in shame. Playing The Citadel this late in the season and allowing them to score 17 points. Pathetic on both counts.

And it was even at the half.

This wasn't garbage time stuff.

• Like 1

28-20

in the dumb play call of the day, Iowa, up 35-0 just before halftime, takes a kneel down with 2 seconds to go in the half, runs a sweep and then gets stopped well short of the goal line.

Brilliant, Ferentz. :facepalm: