stoopid

Alice In Chains "Rainier Fog"  

7 members have voted

1. 1. is Rainier Fog...

• Epic?
    • Same old same old?
    • Forgettable?

Thoughts?

It's a bit of a mixed bag for me after 2 times through the album. Their last 2 albums took a bit to click with me as well. What I'm hearing though is a lot of similarities to other songs from those most recent albums.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I still have to listen to it. I will say that I'm glad the album is only 10 songs and less than an hour. The last album had some really good stuff on it but it dragged on too long in some places. Happy to see they scaled things back a bit this time. Hopefully that means better results.
  • Like 3

I've generally enjoyed the later career AiC and Soundgarden material, although both bands sound different from their earliest, most well received recordings. IMO AiC have done 'better' in terms of overall song quality in their reboot, this album quite possibly being the exception.
  • Like 1

I still have to listen to it. I will say that I'm glad the album is only 10 songs and less than an hour. The last album had some really good stuff on it but it dragged on too long in some places. Happy to see they scaled things back a bit this time. Hopefully that means better results.

a lot of bands could benefit from scaling back album length. it's always been a peeve of mine no matter who the artist. maybe it's my attention span but if you're gonna go an hour or more with an album (i'm talking singles not double albums) you be sure the material is A game.

Truth is for me most can't pull it off. i know cause most albums in my library over an hour have edited versions i made, lol.

Mick

• Like 3

Haven't listened yet. I love Black Gives Way to Blue, but didn't like the following album at all.

Exactly. I didn't know it was out. I think I'm going to give the last one a spin now.

a lot of bands could benefit from scaling back album length. it's always been a peeve of mine no matter who the artist. maybe it's my attention span but if you're gonna go an hour or more with an album (i'm talking singles not double albums) you be sure the material is A game.

Truth is for me most can't pull it off. i know cause most albums in my library over an hour have edited versions i made, lol.

Mick

Totally agree, it definitely makes it so the artists have to choose the best songs to put on the album. I hate albums that are really long and also have a lot of filler songs. Only exception for very long albums for me is usually live albums.

• Like 1

The first two post-Layne albums were slow growers for sure. I especially like BGWTB.

Looking forward to some new AIC.

Edited by rocket ignites
  • Like 1

I have to catch up with them. Haven't listened to anything after the self titled.
  • Like 1

Only listened to it once and the last two albums a few times. Haven’t gotten into the new lineup much lately. Will probably give them more spins. The opener rocks.

My step cousin is seeing them at the Palladium tomorrow.

You know that the "new lineup" is just William Duvall sharing vocal and guitar duties with Cantrell, right? It's not like the band keeps having a huge turnover or have changed their sound drastically.

Listened to it twice now and I do like it. But I also feel like it's a bit of an underwhelming album considering it's been five years since their last one. The long wait led me to expect something better.

Still, it's a solid album. The title track, Red Giant, Drone, Never Fade and All I Am are the standouts for me so far.

I haven't played it yet but heard snippits.

very unexciting. i'll play it at some point but i'm in no rush to do so.

Mick

I would give their previous two albums a listen first if you haven't before. Not sure this is the album to introduce people to modern AIC if they're not familiar with that material.

• Like 1

I haven't played it yet but heard snippits.

very unexciting. i'll play it at some point but i'm in no rush to do so.

Mick

I would give their previous two albums a listen first if you haven't before. Not sure this is the album to introduce people to modern AIC if they're not familiar with that material.

i've played the one from 09.....which i thought was good......nothing fantastic but it was enjoyable. i didn't even know they released one after that till this thread. i thought they had broken up lol

Mick

I will say this, there are no songs on their last three albums that I couldn't see Layne singing on. They've remained pretty true to form without him.

Same for Stone Temple Pilots. The singer sounds so much like Weiland it’s scary.

I actually think the new guy sounds different enough form a new identity for the band while still able to do justice to the older stuff.

• Like 1

I will say this, there are no songs on their last three albums that I couldn't see Layne singing on. They've remained pretty true to form without him.

Same for Stone Temple Pilots. The singer sounds so much like Weiland it’s scary.

I actually think the new guy sounds different enough form a new identity for the band while still able to do justice to the older stuff.

They were one of the 4 bands I saw the other night when I mentioned seeing Alice in Chains along with The Cult and Bush. I truly thought STP stole the show. New guy was excellent and they played 2 songs from their new album and those went over well. They may have received the biggest crowd reaction and they were the first of the 4 bands!

And btw, I saw them with Weiland about 4 times back in the day so not like I was an STP newbie.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1