"GRAPES UNDER PRESSURE IV!" WHICH RUSH "FRUITS" ON HERE ARE GOING TO GO FOR IT? Punny Right? Board Train "2112" with Geddy And Alex! Oct 13th 2018!

RUSHHEAD666

Congratulations to Rod and Earl.

That was so cool.

I was extremely tempted to take the plunge and very nearly did but ultimately couldn't reasonably justify the expense (I would have to fly there and back in addition to the fee for the event and hotel expenses, taxis, etc). It would probably and up costing me about $3000.

For that amount of money I could go to Hawaii for a week.

A lot to spend for one day, especially without knowing how much actual meaningful facetime with the boys. Plus I'm not into wine.

But after seeing your posts and pics from the event I'm not so sure it wouldn't have been worth the expense.

How often did you get to talk with Alex and Geddy and for how long? Were you able to actually have a sustained conversation with them? A few minutes at least?

My main concern was that it was just a glorified and very expensive meet and greet.

Hope it was at least as awesome as it appears to have been!

Glad you had a great time.

Edited by rftag

My main concern was that it was just a glorified and very expensive meet and greet.

I think Rod summed it up the best - it was like a big wedding reception, and Geddy and Alex were like the bride and groom. Geddy seemed really happy to engage in conversation about baseball (I think everyone knows how passionate he is about the sport), but for the most part, it was kind of hard to get in any kind of thoughtful conversation from my perspective. They also had security guards following them around pretty closely a good part of the day, but not for the entire thing.

I didn't see Alex making the rounds during lunch, but when Geddy came by, I begged (almost) him to sign my ticket stub from 1985. He obliged, and joked about having some pretty bad hair back then. Didn't we all?! ;)

I did, however, get a meaningful conversation with Alex's wife, Charlene. I had no idea who I was even chit-chatting with until I asked her if she was at the event for the band or the wine, then she gave me the scoop on who she was. Wow.. she was so nice to talk to, happy to share some stories, and then I made sure to excuse myself and move on before overstaying my welcome. What was SUPER cool to me was that she was there with her best buddy, Esther. Who here is familiar with Shut up Shuttin' Up? OH MY GOD, Esther still sounds exactly the same! She was like, yea, Just shut up and PLAY THE GUITAR! Wow.. They were joking about how much wine they had that day.. no kidding, it sounded like they were truly having fun on the recording :) Lovely people.

So cool to meet you, Rod and Earl - I'm such a noob here and you were so awesome to hang out with, easy company like we've known each other far longer than just the day, I couldn't have asked for better companions to share this experience with.

• Like 9

I think Rod summed it up the best - it was like a big wedding reception, and Geddy and Alex were like the bride and groom. Geddy seemed really happy to engage in conversation about baseball (I think everyone knows how passionate he is about the sport), but for the most part, it was kind of hard to get in any kind of thoughtful conversation from my perspective. They also had security guards following them around pretty closely a good part of the day, but not for the entire thing.

I didn't see Alex making the rounds during lunch, but when Geddy came by, I begged (almost) him to sign my ticket stub from 1985. He obliged, and joked about having some pretty bad hair back then. Didn't we all?! ;)

I did, however, get a meaningful conversation with Alex's wife, Charlene. I had no idea who I was even chit-chatting with until I asked her if she was at the event for the band or the wine, then she gave me the scoop on who she was. Wow.. she was so nice to talk to, happy to share some stories, and then I made sure to excuse myself and move on before overstaying my welcome. What was SUPER cool to me was that she was there with her best buddy, Esther. Who here is familiar with Shut up Shuttin' Up? OH MY GOD, Esther still sounds exactly the same! She was like, yea, Just shut up and PLAY THE GUITAR! Wow.. They were joking about how much wine they had that day.. no kidding, it sounded like they were truly having fun on the recording :) Lovely people.

So cool to meet you, Rod and Earl - I'm such a noob here and you were so awesome to hang out with, easy company like we've known each other far longer than just the day, I couldn't have asked for better companions to share this experience with.

Fantastic

Especially love the Shut up Shuttin' Up story as thats my fave from victor

• Like 1

Alex stopped at our seats on the train and said "look out for R70, guys. It will be a short set though, we'll probably play for 5 minutes and drop dead". As soon as he said that we started to come up with funny names for R70: Roll the Broken Bones, Between the Wheelchairs, Hemispensionists... I'm not happy though, I think we should have come up with a better pun.

Finding My Way Teeth

• Like 3

Geddy's comment about his hair was awesome - I said "at least you have a lot of hair, man. Look at me!" He replied:"what? I see hair there!". I asked him about My Favourite Headache II, he said nothing is impossible. I mentioned I loved the first one, and he kinda hugged me, touched my chest and said "bless your heart, man".

• Like 6

Geddy's comment about his hair was awesome - I said "at least you have a lot of hair, man. Look at me!" He replied:"what? I see hair there!". I asked him about My Favourite Headache II, he said nothing is impossible. I mentioned I loved the first one, and he kinda hugged me, touched my chest and said "bless your heart, man".

I sense a Bromance.
  • Like 2

Imagine that, huh?

I met their publicist there and did a bit of networking. Asked her for an interview with Ged when his book comes out. She said "yeah, you have my email, let's plan for it". Hmmmm...not sure if real or just the usual Canadian "I'll be nice to you even though I have no desire whatsoever to continue talking to you".

• Like 3

Thank you so much for the info felishianh and welcome to the forum! Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

Imagine that, huh?

I met their publicist there and did a bit of networking. Asked her for an interview with Ged when his book comes out. She said "yeah, you have my email, let's plan for it". Hmmmm...not sure if real or just the usual Canadian "I'll be nice to you even though I have no desire whatsoever to continue talking to you".

Wow, that's a great score! Hold her to it when the book comes out!

• Like 2

Charlene was probably enjoying regular talk with someone who was unaware of who she was!

• Like 4

Imagine that, huh?

I will start bothering her TODAY!!!

Next to Earl, Felicia and I sat one of the board members of the Grapes for Humanity and his daughter. Both were SO COOL! They were not Rush fans per se, but understood our obsession, and we got along great. Garrett, the dad, bought us THREE bottles of wine for the trip back, which was a nice gesture. I offered to volunteer for Grapes for Humanity, and will be in touch with him.

• Like 3

Imagine that, huh?

Next to Earl, Felicia and I sat one of the board members of the Grapes for Humanity and his daughter. Both were SO COOL! They were not Rush fans per se, but understood our obsession, and we got along great. Garrett, the dad, bought us THREE bottles of wine for the trip back, which was a nice gesture. I offered to volunteer for Grapes for Humanity, and will be in touch with him.

Sounds like you will be living the rockstar life soon!
  • Like 2

Glad to hear it was a relatively relaxed atomsphere rather than just standing on line to take a photo for three seconds in front of a background poster.

It was indeed, man. The crowd was big, but they were chatty and approachable.

One of my favourite moments was getting back on the bus to take us to the train back to Toronto. Alex was in the front seat, and I did the "we're not worthy" thing to him, and said "being in the crowd on Rush in Rio, my favourite moment was not singing YYZ, but doing that gesture to you guys". He said "I will NEVER forget that show, man!".

• Like 4

Imagine that, huh?

Sounds like you will be living the rockstar life soon!

I wouldn't call it rockstar life. More like rock FAN life...

You appear to have a healthy head of hair in the pic with Geddy. In fact your hairline looks stronger than his. I've actually never noticed much sign of thinning or hairline recession on Ged's hair before but in that pic it appears a bit receded and thin at the hairline.

Edited by rftag

This looked like such a brilliant time. Just to be there sipping wine nice company, relaxing environment.

I just only hope Geddy Lee and Alex were able to contain their excitement upon meeting Earl and Rod. :)

Life's so fleeting, it would be great to go and experience.

• Like 4