August 27th 1990 RIP Stevie Ray

Lucas

August 27th, 1990 .. I remember the phone ringing and hearing my friend Mike's voice .. Luc ... there's news that Stevie Ray is dead

Only once before had I been hit that hard by a celebrity's death, and that was 8 years before when Randy Rhoads was killed in a plane crash ..

But Stevie Ray's death hit me harder .. Maybe because I had seen him live a few years earlier, and that was a moment that changed the course of my musical history ..

Stevie Ray would be 63 years old these days, and I don;t doubt that he'd be as good as ever .. His music is timeless and it pains me to think of all the music that was left on the table when that helicopter went down ..

There's never been a more natural guitarist - a once in a lifetime talent whose music will remain brilliant forever

The day before his death, Vaughan told his band and crew members about a horrible nightmare he had, in which he was at his own funeral and saw thousands of mourners. He felt "terrified, yet almost peaceful." Backstage after the show that evening, the musicians talked about playing together again, particularly with Eric Clapton for a series of dates at London's Royal Albert Hall in February and March 1991, as a tribute to Jimi Hendrix. Moments later, Peter Jackson, Clapton's tour manager, said that the weather was getting worse and they had to leave soon. According to Double Trouble drummer Chris Layton, Vaughan's last words to him were, "I love ya."

And he was one m*********** of a singer too

RIP Stevie

I miss you

http://thebluesmobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/srvcolor.jpg

9sbjfnujt1001.jpg

http://rockandrollgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Bb-KING-eric-clapton-and-stevie-ray-vaughan.jpg

Moser-photo2.jpg

5e605a1281c328661d61218f524f3bce.jpg

• Like 4

First heard about him that day when I was 9 going on 10. My dad was a big fan of his. Had no idea years later that it was him doing the guitar solos for Let’s Dance and China Girl. Never owned his albums but have streamed ion Spotify a handful of times. Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I like the photos/video with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Johnson. They did some tour dates together in the 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4C1H9r_2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NUS-VNipg

Also, the clips where Vaughan jams with

, and Canadian blues-rock guitarist Colin James are great as well.

In addition, there was the Tennis Rock Jam (Benefit For The Special Olympics Tennis Rock Expo Pier 84, New York,NY) on July 23,1983 with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Buddy Guy being on the same bill as Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson. Rehearsal photos here and here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

To this day I feel very fortunate that I got to see him perform live once, about a year before his death at the Gorge Amphitheater in Washington State. Except for an annoyingly drunk wife (now ex) it was a great night.

You were one of the true greats SRV. You are missed.

• Like 2

I found some more photos of the Tennis Rock Jam (Benefit For The Special Olympics Tennis Rock Expo Pier 84, New York,NY) on July 23rd,1983 with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Clarence Clemons, Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, and Geddy and Alex below.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Here's the liner notes quotes from other musicians (posted here) which are from the S.R. Vaughan box set, released in December 2000.

Also there's a tribute piece posted here on Louder by friend and writer Bill Milkowski yesterday.

This 2010 article here from Guitar World is a good read as well.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

To this day I feel very fortunate that I got to see him perform live once, about a year before his death at the Gorge Amphitheater in Washington State. Except for an annoyingly drunk wife (now ex) it was a great night.

You were one of the true greats SRV. You are missed.

I saw him live once as well. We forgot to get a ticket for one of my buddies and he was pissed. I told him we'd make sure to include him next time around. Good life lesson about seizing the moment I guess.

Couldn't Stand the Weather is one of the very first albums on CD I ever bought, when it came out. Still have it. Still play it. He was great. RIP

• Like 1

August 27th, 1990 .. I remember the phone ringing and hearing my friend Mike's voice .. Luc ... there's news that Stevie Ray is dead

Only once before had I been hit that hard by a celebrity's death, and that was 8 years before when Randy Rhoads was killed in a plane crash ..

But Stevie Ray's death hit me harder .. Maybe because I had seen him live a few years earlier, and that was a moment that changed the course of my musical history ..

Stevie Ray would be 63 years old these days, and I don;t doubt that he'd be as good as ever .. His music is timeless and it pains me to think of all the music that was left on the table when that helicopter went down ..

There's never been a more natural guitarist - a once in a lifetime talent whose music will remain brilliant forever

The day before his death, Vaughan told his band and crew members about a horrible nightmare he had, in which he was at his own funeral and saw thousands of mourners. He felt "terrified, yet almost peaceful." Backstage after the show that evening, the musicians talked about playing together again, particularly with Eric Clapton for a series of dates at London's Royal Albert Hall in February and March 1991, as a tribute to Jimi Hendrix. Moments later, Peter Jackson, Clapton's tour manager, said that the weather was getting worse and they had to leave soon. According to Double Trouble drummer Chris Layton, Vaughan's last words to him were, "I love ya."

RIP Stevie

I miss you

9sbjfnujt1001.jpg

http://rockandrollgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Bb-KING-eric-clapton-and-stevie-ray-vaughan.jpg

Moser-photo2.jpg

Thanks for the tears Lucas!

One of my best friends texted me on August 27th 2018.

I haven't heard from her in over a year. We go way back.

She remembered the day I came into Safeway crying because Stevie was killed in Eric Clapton's helicopter.

I had a ticket to see Jeff Beck with Stevie at the Oakland Arena.

I had to work 3 to midnight.

I didn't have the balls to call in sick and in my mind I thought, "it's ok, IN STEP is huge! Next year Stevie will headline!"

Well,

Of course that never happened. I'm so sad.

I will never forget that day.

Stevie will always be my "Pride And Joy."

• Like 2

Stevie becomes clean and sober, yet his life is still taken thanks to a fukking man made helicopter.

Really makes mad. Makes me believe in nothing but "Freewill."

Buddy Holly too.

Fuckking too many man made inventions kill us all.

Drugs to transportation.

Good luck to you all.

Karma clearing tonight.

• Like 1

Stevie Ray and friends came to Alpine Valley, Wisconsin that weekend. They played Saturday and Sunday night. Robert Cray opened up, Stevie Ray followed him, then Eric Clapton.

I saw the Saturday night show, and it was GLORIOUS. After Stevie Ray was done, I was content.....LOL. About 40,000 people packed onto the lawn for the Show. What a Show.......

I drove down to Kentucky the next day to continue my vacation. Monday, my buddy tells me, “Stevie Ray is dead.” I looked at him and said, “Shut up....I just saw him on Satuday!” He wasn’t kidding.

I was shaking my head in disbelief for the rest of the week.....

• Like 2

RIP Stevie

I miss you

9sbjfnujt1001.jpg

Moser-photo2.jpg

Thanks for the tears Lucas!

One of my best friends texted me on August 27th 2018.

I haven't heard from her in over a year. We go way back.

She remembered the day I came into Safeway crying because Stevie was killed in Eric Clapton's helicopter.

I had a ticket to see Jeff Beck with Stevie at the Oakland Arena.

I had to work 3 to midnight.

I didn't have the balls to call in sick and in my mind I thought, "it's ok, IN STEP is huge! Next year Stevie will headline!"

Well,

Of course that never happened. I'm so sad.

I will never forget that day.

Stevie will always be my "Pride And Joy."

nm

Edited by driventotheedge

Stevie becomes clean and sober, yet his life is still taken thanks to a fukking man made helicopter.

Really makes mad. Makes me believe in nothing but "Freewill."

Buddy Holly too.

Fuckking too many man made inventions kill us all.

Drugs to transportation.

Good luck to you all.

Karma clearing tonight.

Jim Croce as well

Stevie Ray and friends came to Alpine Valley, Wisconsin that weekend. They played Saturday and Sunday night. Robert Cray opened up, Stevie Ray followed him, then Eric Clapton.

I saw the Saturday night show, and it was GLORIOUS. After Stevie Ray was done, I was content.....LOL. About 40,000 people packed onto the lawn for the Show. What a Show.......

I drove down to Kentucky the next day to continue my vacation. Monday, my buddy tells me, “Stevie Ray is dead.” I looked at him and said, “Shut up....I just saw him on Satuday!” He wasn’t kidding.

I was shaking my head in disbelief for the rest of the week.....

Wow lucky to have been at a legendary show! I saw SRV once opening for Robert Plant at Massey Hall in Toronto. In a similar vein to your story, I was at Keith Moon's last concert before he died.

• Like 3

I found some more photos of the Tennis Rock Jam (Benefit For The Special Olympics Tennis Rock Expo Pier 84, New York,NY) on July 23rd,1983 with Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Clarence Clemons, Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, and Geddy and Alex below.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Here's the liner notes quotes from other musicians (posted here) which are from the S.R. Vaughan box set, released in December 2000.

Also there's a tribute piece posted here on Louder by friend and writer Bill Milkowski yesterday.

This 2010 article here from Guitar World is a good read as well.

This is great stuff RFF .. Thank you for posting this