My interview with Terry Bozzio!!

Rod in Toronto

Awesome Rod. The drummer in my garage band from the 80s absolutely loved Terry Bozzio. Missing Persons is one of my created Pandora stations whenever I want some 80s new wave. I'll check this out soon.

You get some very cool interviews. :cheers:

Thanks, man! I'll be talking to Udo Dirkschneider and Craig Goldy today!

• Like 4

Awesome Rod. The drummer in my garage band from the 80s absolutely loved Terry Bozzio. Missing Persons is one of my created Pandora stations whenever I want some 80s new wave. I'll check this out soon.

Udo and I share a birthday as does Marilu Henner. In fact, she and Udo are the same age. Sounds like a fun/interesting job you have.

• Like 1

Udo and I share a birthday as does Marilu Henner. In fact, she and Udo are the same age. Sounds like a fun/interesting job you have

Yeah, lot's of fun...it pays nothing tough, I just get free music and free concert tickets.

• Like 1

Rod, as always, a great job !! .. I'll give this a proper listen when I get home from work tonight, but as I'm listening now, it's not only interesting to hear what Terry has to say, I'm constantly thinking "THAT'S OUR ROD, THAT'S OUR ROD !!"

:LOL:

very very cool

The first ever cover band I was in in high school was tagged to play a school dance, so we scrapped some of the Maiden songs and learned Mental Hopscotch .. I remember the drummer going out and buying Roto Toms just for that gig !!

And Dale obviously had a big influence on Lady Gaga

• Like 3

Thanks Lucas! I listed to the very first interview I did the other day, and what a difference! I like to believe that I improved my interviewing style, even though the difficulty of English not being my first language will always be there.
  • Like 1

The worst part of the interviews is when something is scheduled for Europe and there are different time zones. The interview with Udo was messed up and ended up not happening because he's in Russia today, and someone got confused with the scheduling...

Hey Lucas, I did the Voivod interview last Saturday, with Away (the drummer). We spoke about Rush and Terry Brown a little bit too - Terry produced Voivod's Angel Rat. I'll let you know when it's published!

Hey Lucas, I did the Voivod interview last Saturday, with Away (the drummer). We spoke about Rush and Terry Brown a little bit too - Terry produced Voivod's Angel Rat. I'll let you know when it's published!

Rod, were you at all surprised at how much he hammered other musicians, like Vai and Stevens?

Rod, were you at all surprised at how much he hammered other musicians, like Vai and Stevens?

I was! When he started talking about Eddie Jobson, I was sure he was going to ask that statement to be cut off from the final edit, but he carried on. The Missing Persons bit is also a strong statement...in fact, when we were discussing what quote we could use as a headline, I jokingly suggested: "My ex-wife and my guitar player were crazy and on drugs".

• Like 1

I was! When he started talking about Eddie Jobson, I was sure he was going to ask that statement to be cut off from the final edit, but he carried on. The Missing Persons bit is also a strong statement...in fact, when we were discussing what quote we could use as a headline, I jokingly suggested: "My ex-wife and my guitar player were crazy and on drugs".

I was really surprised at how direct he was about Dale. You have way more experience that I do, of course, but my sense is that most times someone would say, "Well, I respect so and so, but it just wasn't the right fit at that time so . . ."

Yep...he certainly didn't play it safe. One of the most sincere interviews I've done.

Craig Goldy was equally honest when I asked him about Rough Cutt and Giuffria. He said both bands could have been much more successful if everyone didn't have such big egoes. He seemed particularly bitter with Greg Giuffria. I asked him about working with David Lee Roth too, and he seems to have enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Very Good Interview, Rod! Terry is a very forthright person! Lots of insights garnered here...Thanks for your posting this, Rod!

bbxNbLF.gif

• Like 1

Very Good Interview, Rod! Terry is a very forthright person! Lots of insights garnered here...Thanks for your posting this, Rod!

bbxNbLF.gif

My pleasure, man!!! I'll post more as they get published. There are a few already recorded and ready to be posted.

• Like 1

A friend of mine saw Terry Bozzio when he performed a solo concert (“An Evening With Terry Bozzio,”) at the Tidemark Theatre in Campbell River, BC (Vancouver Island MusicFest) on October 17, 2014.

My friend resides in Nanaimo, BC on Vancouver Island and I told him about the concert and then he bought a ticket, which was fantastic from his review discussion with me.

Also, check out this recent Rolling Stone interview with Bozzio here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Hey Rod, where can I get the transcription?

Good question... I don't know why they put it there as an option, because I didn't transcribe that one.

Well that explains why I couldn't find the link. :)

Thanks for doing this. I will have to find time to listen to the interview. :)Zappa is my favorite musician of them all. Even Geddy. Funny thing is, Bozzio wasn't even technically the best Zappa drummer, but he was the most fiery and also the biggest character.

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 1