Ed King - RIP

custom55

A California native, King was a founding member of the psychedelic Sixties band Strawberry Alarm Clock, known for their hit “Incense and Peppermints.” He offered to join Skynyrd when, opening for the band at the Jacksonville, Florida, bar the Comic Book Club in 1968, he heard them rehearsing the song “Need All My Friends.” It wasn’t until 1972, however, when King would sign on with Skynyrd, temporarily replacing bassist Leon Wilkeson and then becoming a full-fledged member as third guitarist.

King played on the band’s first three albums: 1973’s (Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd), 1974’s Second Helping and 1975’s Nuthin’ Fancy. He most famously co-wrote Second Helping‘s “Sweet Home Alabama” – that’s him counting off “1, 2, 3” in the song’s intro – which, along with “Free Bird,” has become synonymous with the group.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

Just saw this on CNN- I was sorry to hear it. That was a lovely tribute, Custom. I remember reading an interview one time where he was sorry he left Skynyrd but not too sorry as he still had many many royalties from Sweet Home Alabama coming in. :)
  • Like 2

Just saw this on CNN- I was sorry to hear it. That was a lovely tribute, Custom. I remember reading an interview one time where he was sorry he left Skynyrd but not too sorry as he still had many many royalties from Sweet Home Alabama coming in. :)

+ royalties

- plane wreck

In the end, I think he probably felt pretty fortunate for getting out at the right time. RIP

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2