Are Message Boards Obsolete?

Tick

Do people still frequent message boards or are they pretty much antiquated and obsolete?

I want the truth!

The bulk of them are gone now. This board is fortunate to be one of the more active ones. Social media has taken over unfortunately. Hashtags and what's trending are now more important than having a normal message board chat these days.
  • Like 1

Another thread about Counterparts?

I used to have an account there but I soon left after getting banned lmao.

You may be thinking of Trinet. To get banned from Counterparts, you have to work really hard at it.

No I got banned from counterparts, really.

Did you post something cogent? That's usually enough.

• Like 5

You may be thinking of Trinet. To get banned from Counterparts, you have to work really hard at it.

Idek what cogent means. Well anyways I posted in the 18+ thread because it was unlocked for me and then he (The head admin) found out and told me to not post in there again, I accidentally did and boom my account got terminated. I made another one but didn't make the same mistake, but I still removed the 2nd one because I got bored as f**k of the place no offense.

Idek what cogent means. Well anyways I posted in the 18+ thread because it was unlocked for me and then he (The head admin) found out and told me to not post in there again, I accidentally did and boom my account got terminated. I made another one but didn't make the same mistake, but I still removed the 2nd one because I got bored as f**k of the place no offense.

Posting something cogent would involve posting something on point and which would advance the discussion.

• Like 1

Posting something cogent would involve posting something on point and which would advance the discussion.

Ah that makes sense.

• Like 1

Steve Hoffman's forum is the most active one I know of. Sometimes when I go there I can see a thousand people online. The music folder turns over 2 or 3 times every hour. You just can't post negative topics because the mods lock those types of threads. You need to read all the rules before you register there. It's a great resource for music and film. Edited by Krystal
  • Like 4

Steve Hoffman's forum is the most active one I know of. Sometimes when I go there I can see a thousand people online. The music folder turns over 2 or 3 times every hour. You just can't post negative topics because the mods lock those types of threads. You need to read all the rules before you register there. It's a great resource for music and film.

It's interesting there, I have read a bunch about different Rush vinyl pressings there.

• Like 4

Do people still frequent message boards or are they pretty much antiquated and obsolete?

I want the truth!

Word on the street is Fakebook Group pages ended the message board. TRF is as dead as a Chicago Style Pizza, it just doesn’t know it yet.

• Like 2

I want the truth!

Word on the street is Fakebook Group pages ended the message board. TRF is as dead as a Chicago Style Pizza, it just doesn’t know it yet.

People have been walking away from message boards, I wouldn’t exactly say Facebook ended it.

However, I know a few old school former TRFers have said things here (during brief returns) nearly identical to this:

“I’m over on Facebook now so look me up over there.”

• Like 1

Message boards peaked several years ago and have been on a steady decline since say 2005. MySpace and now Facebook/Twitter, as well as comments sections below articles and youtube videos are the new normal. I'm thankful for the few internet friends I've made prior to this becoming a reality, most of them I met on various forums.

JohnRogers is 100% correct, on a long enough timeline this forum will no longer exist. They used to be one of few sources to get information, now with wikipedia covering 'fact' based topics, facebook groups covering quick questions/topics, and youtube covering DIY there's just no need for dedicated privately owned websites to supply this info and/or answer questions. Specifically regarding youtube, instead of posting your tutorial on someone's privately owned forum where you likely don't get any share of the pie, you instead post your tutorial on youtube and generate a little ad revenue into your own pocket for the time you spent. As they say, follow the money trail if you want to know why something is the way it is. Starting your own youtube channel and posting your information to it makes more sense than donating that knowledge to benefit someone else's endeavor.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2