Neil's Raindance Over the Rockies: Across the Rocky Mountains by Bicycle 5-chapter excerpt now online

neil peart book raindance

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 10428 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:26 AM

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 17 August 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

View PostFridge, on 17 August 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

View PostJag2112, on 17 August 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

Guess I shouldn't let you know about this then:  http://news.cygnus-x...-privately.html

No......no, you shouldn't.

I like the sarcasm there Jag

The sarcasm was in the bit which isn't quoted actually ;)

Sponsored Post

#42 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4546 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 18 August 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

View Postytserush, on 17 August 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

View PostJag2112, on 16 August 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

As most fans know, Neil authored several books in the 1980's that he privately published and distributed to friends and families.  One of those books, Raindance Over the Rockies: Across the Rocky Mountains by Bicycle, came into my possession recently.  As I've done with several of his other privately published books, I've transcribed the first five chapters of the novel and made it available here:

https://www.cygnus-x...the-rockies.php

It's an interesting read, particularly if you're interested in cycling, however there are some Rush-related tidbits as well...

Enjoy-

Thanks. I think I read an except of this online before but it may have only been the first chapter. This one's a bit further along. Thanks for posting. Decent read.
Really?  The excerpt in the link reads like a parody of his books/later work.   Or maybe just like them, it's hard to tell the difference.

Well it's not the best thing he's ever done, but it's not horrible. Kind of like Fly By Night in that way. The better stuff would come much later.

#43 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 77463 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:41 PM

View Postytserush, on 19 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 18 August 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

View Postytserush, on 17 August 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

View PostJag2112, on 16 August 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

As most fans know, Neil authored several books in the 1980's that he privately published and distributed to friends and families.  One of those books, Raindance Over the Rockies: Across the Rocky Mountains by Bicycle, came into my possession recently.  As I've done with several of his other privately published books, I've transcribed the first five chapters of the novel and made it available here:

https://www.cygnus-x...the-rockies.php

It's an interesting read, particularly if you're interested in cycling, however there are some Rush-related tidbits as well...

Enjoy-

Thanks. I think I read an except of this online before but it may have only been the first chapter. This one's a bit further along. Thanks for posting. Decent read.
Really?  The excerpt in the link reads like a parody of his books/later work.   Or maybe just like them, it's hard to tell the difference.

Well it's not the best thing he's ever done, but it's not horrible. Kind of like Fly By Night in that way. The better stuff would come much later.
Steven Wright reading an auto manual would be more stimulating than Sam Kinison that excerpt.

#44 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 63877 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:09 PM

View Postedhunter, on 17 August 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

Here's why Neil is a high ranking douchebag when it comes to fans and books. The average book only needs to sell between 3,000 to 5,000 copies to be considered profitable. So he's sold enough books not to be dumped by his publisher. I'm guessing at least 90% of his sales go to Rush fans who want to hear more about the band, rather than passing mentions of "the guys at work". So he's f***ing over the very people he relies on for his sales, because he knows there's enough diehard dweebs out there to buy whatever he puts his name on. For that he can f**k off and go to Hell. I bought one book, Ghost Rider, and after 20 pages I was skipping...
I skipped most of tgat stuff, too.  I did enjoy most of Ghost Rider, though, both for the emotional aspects of it and for the travel log.  I'm familiar with a lot of the places he visited.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neil peart, book, raindance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users