August 14, '74: Neil's 1st gig with Rush

zappafrank

Yeah, a day late, but I figured I'd throw this out there because why not?

Also, of special note is that it of course occurred in Pittsburgh. I live in Pittsburgh (transplanted Southerner), but I still take pride in knowing that my adopted city played host to such a momentous occasion.

Beyond the Lighted Stage was screened here in a local theater, and when it got to the point where it mentioned Neil's 1st show and showed a shot of the old Civic Arena, the entire theater erupted in applause and cheers. Really fun moment!

• Like 6

I would have hoped they'd audition a few more guys so they wouldn't be stuck with Neil, but they were crunched for time.

If they'd kept Rutsey (and if he had lived), they'd still be touring.

I would have hoped they'd audition a few more guys so they wouldn't be stuck with Neil, but they were crunched for time.

It's a damn shame what could have been...

Not sure if serious.

Not sure if serious.

Your uncertainty is part of the dem/lib conspiracy.

Not sure if serious.

Shirley you can't be serious.

• Like 1

It's a damn shame what could have been...

Yep....they'd be the oldest Led Zeppelin copycat band around....

• Like 1

They did, according to the awesome Visions bio that came out right before A Show of hands. He writes that after Neil, there was a guy who played to the 1st album using sheet music and was very proper about it, which convinced them that Neil was the guy.

Edited by zappafrank
  • Like 2

They did, according to the awesome Visions bio that came out right before A Show of hands. He writes that after Neil, there was a guy who played to the 1st album using sheet music and was very proper about it, which convinced them that Neil was the guy.

You lost me at "awesome Visions bio".

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

That's not how it would have went down. If they kept Rutsey he still would have died and Rush would have gotten a great new young drummer. Remember, Rutsey was the replaceable drummer.

That's not how it would have went down. If they kept Rutsey he still would have died and Rush would have gotten a great new young drummer. Remember, Rutsey was the replaceable drummer.

There is no such thing as an Irreplaceable drummer.

Not according to Alex and Geddy.

Not according to Alex and Geddy.

They're both High School dropouts. What do they know?

• Like 1

I think 99% of bands in the world across the vast majority of genres would be beyond thrilled to be "stuck with Neil."

I think 99% of bands in the world across the vast majority of genres would be beyond thrilled to be "stuck with Neil."

Yet, we are talking about the best of the best, which is much less than 1% of the bands in the world.

Yet, we are talking about the best of the best, which is much less than 1% of the bands in the world.

I think Neil would have had a competitive bid for becoming Led Zeppelin's drummer if that hypothetical situation ever occurred

Led Zep beg to differ.

May as well mention The Who and the Moon (sure, they kept going but it was nowhere near the same).

9efWknkbo2rYTogPCcNTtM-320-80.jpg

"Good luck playing my drum parts, suckers!"

3EL9AI9.gif

• Like 1

I think Neil would have had a competitive bid for becoming Led Zeppelin's drummer if that hypothetical situation ever occurred

Not a chance. Peart could never ever ever in a million years Groove the way John Bonham can. He doesn't even hold a candle to Phil Rudd in terms of actual Groove.

Edited by edhunter

Not a chance. Peart could never ever ever in a million years Groove the way John Bonham can. He doesn't even hold a candle to Phil Rudd in terms of actual Groove.

Oh come on, just think how "When the Levee Breaks" would sound like with cleverly orchestrated tom-tom fills. Maybe even some ethnic percussion samples! :o

Oh come on, just think how "When the Levee Breaks" would sound like with cleverly orchestrated tom-tom fills. Maybe even some ethnic percussion samples! :o

Just take a look at some of the jazz ensembles Neil played in. If that's not groove, I don't know what is.