Album of the Year - 2018

Rod in Toronto

i've had numerous but if you were to ask me what holds the spot right now?

YYNot's debut easily.

Mick

Now the dust has had time to settle, I really agree that A Dying Machine is too long. Tribulation are falling down my list a little. I thought they might. And Myles Kennedy YYNot dominate the top spot.

I love the new Ghost and Avatar albums too. Next month we have a new Thrice album and rumour has it we may have new Within Temptation before 2018 is over. Plus the Lacuna Coil live album.

ok so my top 5 for the year so far.

1. YYnot

2. Year of the Tiger

3. Prequelle

4. Earthrage (it's by a band called W.E.T. they are Cheesy AOR)

5. a Dying Machine (too long.....but the melodies are so damn good)

Mick

YYNot's debut easily.

Mick

Now the dust has had time to settle, I really agree that A Dying Machine is too long. Tribulation are falling down my list a little. I thought they might. And Myles Kennedy YYNot dominate the top spot.

I love the new Ghost and Avatar albums too. Next month we have a new Thrice album and rumour has it we may have new Within Temptation before 2018 is over. Plus the Lacuna Coil live album.

1. YYnot

2. Year of the Tiger

3. Prequelle

Mick

The main thing I like about A Dying Machine is that it's the perfect mix of rocking metal tunes and catchy radio friendly singles. It may be a bit too long but it's a concept album so the length doesn't bother me too much. At least it doesn't come close to The Astonishing when it comes to long running time.

• Like 1

YYNot's debut easily.

Mick

1. YYnot

2. Year of the Tiger

3. Prequelle

Mick

The main thing I like about A Dying Machine is that it's the perfect mix of rocking metal tunes and catchy radio friendly singles. It may be a bit too long but it's a concept album so the length doesn't bother me too much. At least it doesn't come close to The Astonishing when it comes to long running time.

true. i'm still Waiting to see if DT can come back. what i'm hearing is the next record with be in line with the self titled. that works for me. the self titled is a gem.

Mick

• Like 1

it's a bit early to tell atm

But if you've already heard Firepower than no it isn't.

I have and while it's certainly a top 3 album (so far), the year is still far from over.

I agree, when Rush's new album comes out this year, and they have their 2018 tour live album, those will be the top 2

At this point, I would rather have a second album from YYNot than a new Rush album if I had to pick between the two.

Oh gosh yes. The new YYNot album is better than the last two Rush albums easily.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's some funny shit there!

Kingdom Come is fantastic. Alas, no other song stands out as all that interesting.

Edited by Mithrandir

I have and while it's certainly a top 3 album (so far), the year is still far from over.

I agree, when Rush's new album comes out this year, and they have their 2018 tour live album, those will be the top 2

At this point, I would rather have a second album from YYNot than a new Rush album if I had to pick between the two.

Oh gosh yes. The new YYNot album is better than the last two Rush albums easily.

Kingdom Come is fantastic. Alas, no other song stands out as all that interesting.

he's really not wrong.

Mick

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Oh well.

• Like 1

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Most definitely, every song on the album is strong to me. There is so much going on on so many levels. If you ask me, YYNot has taken all the best elements from Rush's entire career, added some cool elements of their own and made a better album than Rush has made in over 30 years.
  • Like 1

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Oh well.

How stupid was i. i now magically impossibly love CA.

that's all it took, lol

Mick

• Like 1

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Most definitely, every song on the album is strong to me. There is so much going on on so many levels. If you ask me, YYNot has taken all the best elements from Rush's entire career, added some cool elements of their own and made a better album than Rush has made in over 30 years.

I actually think a lot of this album is stronger than entire albums sides of their "classic" period.

• Like 2

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Oh well.

that's all it took, lol

Mick

I really wish SA and CA had sounded half as good as YYNot with songs this interesting.

• Like 1

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Oh well.

that's all it took, lol

Mick

I really wish SA and CA had sounded half as good as YYNot with songs this interesting.

me too. The songs on YYnot were adventurous while being surprisingly to the point.

nothing ever meanders or overstays it's welcome like the last few Rush albums.

Mick

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Oh well.

that's all it took, lol

Mick

me too. The songs on YYnot were adventurous while being surprisingly to the point.

Mick

I will make an exception for Vapor Trails, because I love it. But their is a personal connection to that album I rarely have with any album. It's not truly a patch on the likes of Hemispheres (currently my favourite album to play every day!).

• Like 1

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

I actually think a lot of this album is stronger than entire albums sides of their "classic" period.

Yeah, I put it right up there among my favorite Rush albums. There are so many moments on this album that I am simply blown away by the musicianship.
  • Like 1

he's really not wrong.

Mick

He is very wrong.

Oh well.

that's all it took, lol

Mick

Mick

I will make an exception for Vapor Trails, because I love it. But their is a personal connection to that album I rarely have with any album. It's not truly a patch on the likes of Hemispheres (currently my favourite album to play every day!).

i'm so happy with this about face.

i know you would someday......i just had to sit through some Segue it's ok bullshit, lol

Mick

Too early to tell yet.

Ace Frehley, Michael Monroe & Rock Goddess have all got albums lined up for release in the next couple of months so they'll probably be strong contenders for me.

Thanks TF, I didn;t know about Michael .. he's due for one

Have you seen the video he did with Honest John Plain ?? ... It's always great to see Michael and Sammy Yaffa togther

• Like 1

All jokes on Rush aside, The YYNOT album is a great album, I really enjoyed it

One of the best sounding CDs I have heard in years!!!!

Bloody great band...mixing was top notch.

• Like 1

Too early to tell yet.

Ace Frehley, Michael Monroe & Rock Goddess have all got albums lined up for release in the next couple of months so they'll probably be strong contenders for me.

Thanks TF, I didn;t know about Michael .. he's due for one

Have you seen the video he did with Honest John Plain ?? ... It's always great to see Michael and Sammy Yaffa togther

Good song!

• Like 1

My current list:

Best albums of 2018:

Florence + The Machine - High As Hope

Judas Priest — Firepower

Death Grips - Year Of The Snitch

Jack White — Boarding House Reach

MGMT — Little Dark Age

Panic! At The Disco - Pray For The Wicked

Ghost - Prequelle

Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

Andrew W.K. — You’re Not Alone

Parquet Courts - Wide Awaaaaaake!

Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats - Tearing At The Seams

Jonathan Wilson - Rare Birds

Kanye West - Ye

Pusha T. - Daytona

Nine Inch Nails - Bad Witch

Alice In Chains - Rainier Fog

CHVRHES - Love Is Dead

Denzel Curry - TA1300

Graveyard - Peace

Ariana Grande - Sweetener

Nas - Nasir

Worst albums of 2018:

Thirty Seconds To Mars — America

Fall Out Boy — Mania

A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant

• Like 1

So far...

1: Tell Me How You Really Feel -- Courtney Barnett

2: Jord -- MOL

3: All At Once -- Screaming Females

4: Eat the Elephant -- A Perfect Circle

5: Cocoa Sugar -- Young Fathers

6: Hell-On -- Neko Case

7: Hope Downs -- Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

8: Songs of Praise -- Shame

There are certainly many great albums I've yet to hear and a quarter of the year is left for more to come.

But these I've heard and these I liked.

Edited by Mosher

I love that Maynard's drastic musical departure is dug by me and hated by Entre, just because it shows just how subjective music is.

It was difficult to move past the changes, but it worked for me in the end. Also, after all of Segue's 'Best 5' threads I had a

pick five' mentality. So I should add more later.

• Like 1