NASCAR CEO Brian France arrested for DUI/opiates.

KenJennings

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/24301166/nascar-chairman-brian-france-arrested-dui-possession-controlled-substance

Brian France arrested for DUI, possession of controlled substance

NASCAR CEO and Chairman Brian France was arrested for aggravated driving while intoxicated and criminal possession of a controlled substance, according to a Sag Harbor Village (New York) Police Department news release.

According to a news release, France was arrested at 7:30 p.m. Sunday night, held overnight and arraigned Monday morning at the Sag Harbor Village Justice Court, where he was released on his own recognizance.

"Mr. France was observed operating a 2017 Lexus northbound on Main Street failing to stop at a duly posted stop sign," the news release said. "Upon traffic stop, it was determined that Mr. France was operating said vehicle in an intoxicated condition.

"Upon search of his person, due to a lawful arrest, Mr. France was in possession of oxycodone pills."

No other information was immediately available. TMZ first reported the arrest of France in the Hamptons.

France, 56, is the grandson of NASCAR founder William H.G. France and son of Bill France Jr.

He has held the position of chairman and CEO of NASCAR since 2003. His sister, Lesa France Kennedy, runs the family's publicly traded track-operating company International Speedway Corp.

Lesa and Jim France, brother of Bill France Jr., are believed to own the majority stake in NASCAR, according to public documents, but the family does not comment on its ownership structure.

Under NASCAR's substance abuse policy, France theoretically could be suspended and required to go through a recovery program or he could be subjected to drug testing.

Certainly, Brian is the antithesis of the visionaries that his father and grandfather were, and the minimization of his presence in the sport is nothing but positive. But one has to wonder whether he was the main problem or just a figurehead that was the face of the problem.

It seemed to me that the height of the popularity of NASCAR was at the time of a confluence of events that are outside of anyone's control, and not even anything anyone would even want to repeat. Dale Earnhardt 's death, the scintillating racing that followed that with Steve Park winning for DEI at Rockingham, Harvick's thrilling win with five cars in the running on the last lap at a complete track in Atlanta for the 3 team, and Jrs win at the track that took his father; all items that couldn't be repeated. Then later that year, 9/11 and people gravitated toward the sport that is viewed as organically the most patriotic. All of this was unsustainable.

Yet, the rising popularity of the sport and the desire to have it burst outside its roots, while understandable, was executed poorly, though one could argue that execution was less the issue than unsustainability. Cookie cutter tracks, the removal of races from Rockingham and Darlington (and earlier, places like North Wilkesboro) and instituting a playoff because Kenseth won a championship by finishing fifth to seventh each week all detracted from the roots of the sport that meant so much to so many.

• Like 2

The first thing that tipped off the cop, he kept turning left.

Thanks, I'll be all week.

When they start doing some right turns...I might check out some Neckcar.

The first thing that tipped off the cop, he kept turning left.

Thanks, I'll be all week.

When they start doing some right turns...I might check out some Neckcar.

There was just a road course race Sunday where they turned right and left.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 2

I only watch road course racing. I took a Skip Barber Driving School class many years ago and it was a blast. This is before I started collecting wives/kids and had disposable income with no one to support. Anyway, CrashCar and Professional Wrestling go hand in hand; both phoney, made up 'sports' that have to depend on personalities rather than the events themselves. I can't watch CrashCar for more than 30 seconds, it's just boring as f**k.

But one thing they could do is have several mini races instead of one long boring ass race. 30 laps, no pit stops or strategy needed, just balls out racing.

Edited by HemiBeers

I only watch road course racing. I took a Skip Barber Driving School class many years ago and it was a blast. This is before I started collecting wives/kids and had disposable income with no one to support. Anyway, CrashCar and Professional Wrestling go hand in hand; both phoney, made up 'sports' that have to depend on personalities rather than the events themselves. I can't watch CrashCar for more than 30 seconds, it's just boring as f**k.

But one thing they could do is have several mini races instead of one long boring ass race. 30 laps, no pit stops or strategy needed, just balls out racing.

You don't have to like it, but do you have any evidence that the outcomes of NASCAR races are scripted?

And as far as 'made up' sports are concerned, that's all of them.

You don't have to like it, but do you have any evidence that the outcomes of NASCAR races are scripted?

And as far as 'made up' sports are concerned, that's all of them.

"Caution for Debris"

• Like 1

They do now. Races are in three stages. Participation ribbons for all. You don't even need to win races to make it to the... playoffs. :facepalm:

Booze and opiates? That explains a lot. No wonder NASCARball is ruined. I miss watching it.

...Wait a minute. Did it say he was driving a Lexus? That's it, I'm driving down there and pegging him with my '93 Ford.

Edited by ozzy85
  • Like 1

They do now. Races are in three stages. Participation ribbons for all. You don't even need to win races to make it to the... playoffs. :facepalm:

Booze and opiates? That explains a lot. No wonder NASCARball is ruined. I miss watching it.

...Wait a minute. Did it say he was driving a Lexus? That's it, I'm driving down there and pegging him with my '93 Ford.

The old points style rewarded consistency and not race wins The new stage system rewards both and I think if you look at the playoff system over the past couple of years you would agree that the best and most consistent drivers, drivers with several race wins, were the ones battling for the championship.

I didn't like it when I first heard about it but I admit I was wrong. The new stage racing "playoff" system works and is entertaining.

Did anyone see Martinsville last weekend? Hell of an entertaining race and finish.

I didn't like it when I first heard about it but I admit I was wrong. The new stage racing "playoff" system works and is entertaining.

I don't agree at all.

Consistency is meaningless now. It's all out for wins, which disincentivises racing further back in the pack.

In my perfect world, NASCAR would simply reward the championship to the driver with the highest average finish. I am totally fine with the title going to someone without a win. In fact, I'd love to see it happen.

I don't agree at all.

Consistency is meaningless now. It's all out for wins, which disincentivises racing further back in the pack.

In my perfect world, NASCAR would simply reward the championship to the driver with the highest average finish. I am totally fine with the title going to someone without a win. In fact, I'd love to see it happen.

I disagree. Consistency is rewarded with points advantages that carry throughout the playoffs. Consistency won the title for MTJ last year and will probably win it for Harvick or K Busch this year.

When I look at who won last year and who will probably win this year, I would say that so far the system works.

Edited by thesweetscience

I disagree. Consistency is rewarded with points advantages that carry throughout the playoffs. Consistency won the title for MTJ last year and will probably win it for Harvick or K Busch this year.

Those points are primarily earned by wins. That only makes it worse...

Those points are primarily earned by wins. That only makes it worse...

Then I guess you should watch something else then.

I am enjoying the current format. The best drivers and teams are still battling for the title and they have to battle to the end. The racing has been fun to watch.

I often am. I've been much more likely to opt for football this year than I have been in the past. NASCAR, once my absolute favorite sport, and a necessary Sunday staple; is now little more than an modest interest for me now.

And I'm not alone. Kansas, two weeks ago, was the least watched race broadcast on a major network since 2000.

Stage racing is a joke designed to inject more commercials into the race by mandating race stoppages. The results are becoming more and more affected by officiating. The rules are just stupid, and near impossible for the layperson to walk in and understand. The tracks are monotonous and boring with no commitment to reviving the schedule. And their answer to this trouble is just gimmicks... more gimmicks every year.

I loved NASCAR, I grew up on it, I love auto racing, and I always will. But if this is what NASCAR is going to be, I'm going to look elsewhere for my fix.

NASCAR is killing itself. "You should watch something else" is an epitaph- not a suggestion.

Edited by KenJennings

I often am. I've been much more likely to opt for football this year than I have been in the past. NASCAR, once my absolute favorite sport, and a necessary Sunday staple; is now little more than an modest interest for me now.

And I'm not alone. Kansas, two weeks ago, was the least watched race broadcast on a major network since 2000.

Stage racing is a joke designed to inject more commercials into the race by mandating race stoppages. The results are becoming more and more affected by officiating. The rules are just stupid, and near impossible for the layperson to walk in and understand. The tracks are monotonous and boring with no commitment to reviving the schedule. And their answer to this trouble is just gimmicks... more gimmicks every year.

I loved NASCAR, I grew up on it, I love auto racing, and I always will. But if this is what NASCAR is going to be, I'm going to look elsewhere for my fix.

NASCAR is killing itself. "You should watch something else" is an epitaph- not a suggestion.

And football is what you switched too? Lol.

And football is what you switched too? Lol.

NFL viewership is up this year. Many of those ignorant, nationalistic boycotters from last year have returned. Either they realized they missed it more than they expected, or got lazy and forgot about their cause. Either way, football offers a different viewing experience. The finish at last week's race, with Truex and Logano sliding kind of sideways and slammed against each other was easily the highlight of the race but I bet a lot of people had already tuned out. I know there sure were a lot of empty seats.