Your favorite guitar solo by Lifeson from the synth era?

Texas King

Your favorite guitar solo by Lifeson from the synth era?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite guitar solo by Lifeson from the synth era?

• Subdivisions
    • Analog Kid
    • Chemistry
    • Digital Man
    • The Weapon
    • Losing It
    • Distant Early Warning
    • Afterimage
    • Red Sector A
    • Kid Gloves
    • Between the Wheels
    • The Big Money
    • Grand Designs
    • Marathon
    • Middletown Dreams
    • Emotion Detector
    • Open Secrets
    • Lock and Key
    • Mission
    • Turn the Page
    • High Water

When I saw this topic, obviously headed to Signals. A lot of fans say this is a synth album but there's a lot of amazing guitar work going on through those songs listed in this poll. I've voted for The Weapon as it was unlike anything Alex had done before with hints to Dave Gilmour. IMO opinion have always classed Alex as a more disciplined version of Jimmy Page and a bridge between the classic blues based guitarists and the shredders.
  • Like 1

I have to go with the "The Analog Kid" solo as well , but there are many great ones. "Between The Wheels", "Mission", "Marathon" and "Kid Gloves" and others all have brilliant solos.

When I saw this topic, obviously headed to Signals. A lot of fans say this is a synth album but there's a lot of amazing guitar work going on through those songs listed in this poll. I've voted for The Weapon as it was unlike anything Alex had done before with hints to Dave Gilmour. IMO opinion have always classed Alex as a more disciplined version of Jimmy Page and a bridge between the classic blues based guitarists and the shredders.

Precisely what I thought about Signals. When I brought it home and played it, I don't remember thinking, "Jeez, they went heavy on the synths." That is precisely what I thought about GUP.

• Like 2

Analog Kid easily.

It's in the same league as Glen Tipton on Electric Eye.

Although he was no slouch otherwise.

• Like 1

Yeah Al is simply the greatest master of all time in this field, just about impossible to pick, simply too much to choose from but my subconscious threw out the solo bit from Grand Designs so i'll go with that just for purposes of voting

Precisely what I thought about Signals. When I brought it home and played it, I don't remember thinking, "Jeez, they went heavy on the synths." That is precisely what I thought about GUP.

Yep, thought the same. Signals is a sister album to Moving Pictures, just the production values were different. When I got GUP I thought, this is the change where Alex went all U2/Simple Minds with half chords and harmonics, there are moments of magic like Kid Gloves but on other tracks it was like he was playing safe. Think the balance on Power Windows is better before losing it again on Hold Your Fire although there is a memorable solo on Mission. Oddly enough when I first heard Force Ten, in the middle bit I was going, go on Alex solo but he didn't. On the live version he has. Like On Clockwork Angels, Alex starts a blistering solo and you think were in for an epic like Necromancer solo but it stops and goes into that weird blues thing where Geddy sings down a megaphone.
  • Like 1