Did anyone release an obviously bad or even sub-par record in 1973?

Well  

11 members have voted

1. 1. anyone?

• yes, and I will post what album it was below
    • no
    • not that I'm aware of
    • another poll another meaningless last option because multiple choice is allowed

Listening to Having my mind blown by Santana's Welcome for the first time right now, and it just makes me wonder, did anybody put out sub-par work in 1973? Particularly anyone who wasn't known for making bad music in the first place. It seems to me like every album I listen to from this year is obviously great, whether or not it's considered in the particular artist's pantheon of top albums or whatever.

Oh, and I won't accept Tales From Topographic Oceans as an answer. You can refer to Segue if you'd like to know why that album is great as well.

• Like 3

Listening to Having my mind blown by Santana's Welcome for the first time right now, and it just makes me wonder, did anybody put out sub-par work in 1973? Particularly anyone who wasn't known for making bad music in the first place. It seems to me like every album I listen to from this year is obviously great, whether or not it's considered in the particular artist's pantheon of top albums or whatever.

Oh, and I won't accept Tales From Topographic Oceans as an answer. You can refer to Segue if you'd like to know why that album is great as well.

Damn right it is!

• Like 1

ABBA released Ring Ring.

But that wasn't sub par, it is just a "weak album because of what riches they provides music fans with subsequent releases.

Bruce Springsteen releases two classic albums (Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle).

Fleetwood Mac Released Mystery To Me which whilst not their finest hour was still a great album.

Led Zeppelin releases Houses Of The Holy which I think is an exceptional record.

Queen, Mott The Hoople, Budgie, Black Sabbath...I can't think of any weak albums that year looking through my collection for that year...

Maybe the garbage has been totally forgotten?

• Like 2

You can't go wrong with eighties music... ;)

Fixed.

Not needed here

• Like 3

The Rolling Stones released Goats Head Soup and it was pretty disappointing after Exile on Main Street. Not obviously bad, but I don't care for the song Angie, and definitely sub par after the four album streak of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Good thread idea! I must admit I am stressing the brain cells trying to think of another miss on the album front and I can't (yet! :LOL: ) I guess I never thought about what a strong album year 1973 was! :)

• Like 1

I'll first say that The New York Dolls have a had an enormous influence on me and countless bands that I love - both in terms of music and attitude .. I love them, and thank god for The Dolls ..

With that said, in hindsight, Todd Rundgren was probably not the right producer for The Dolls and their "what might have been" debut album ... Going by the accounts of the surviving members, the recording sessions were out of control, hurried and Rundgren was not able to harness to magic that The Dolls had live, or even within their songs ....

To his credit, it was not an easy gig - dealing with the band, time constrictions and lack of funding - but that didn;t stop Never Mind The Bollocks or Young, Loud And Snotty from being great albums ...

I love The Dolls by their 1973 debut is not what it could have been

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

While not bad, The Allman Brothers but out the sub-par Brothers And Sisters. First album entirely without Duane. In my mind, it ruined to reputation of the band as they went from being known as a Blues-rock band and turned into a Country-rock band.

The Rolling Stones released Goats Head Soup and it was pretty disappointing after Exile on Main Street. Not obviously bad, but I don't care for the song Angie, and definitely sub par after the four album streak of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Good thread idea! I must admit I am stressing the brain cells trying to think of another miss on the album front and I can't (yet! :LOL: ) I guess I never thought about what a strong album year 1973 was! :)

I'm a big Stones fan and I love GHS. The production is off but the music is spectacular. Mr D, Silver Train, Winter, Star Star. Not a bad song on the album.

• Like 8

Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are.

Great tunes, Woman from Tokyo and Rat Bat Blues. The other songs.... blah. Sandwiched between Machine Head and Burn. I never got into it.

• Like 3

While not bad, The Allman Brothers but out the sub-par Brothers And Sisters. First album entirely without Duane. In my mind, it ruined to reputation of the band as they went from being known as a Blues-rock band and turned into a Country-rock band.

Are you Freakin kidding? Give your head a shake. :facepalm:
  • Like 2

I'm a big Stones fan and I love GHS. The production is off but the music is spectacular. Mr D, Silver Train, Winter, Star Star. Not a bad song on the album.

Angie, Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago and Starf*cker are among my favorite Stones songs, and I love the band.

• Like 2

Angie, Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago and Starf*cker are among my favorite Stones songs, and I love the band.

Those guitars on Starf*cker ... pure R&R

• Like 1

Here are the top 100 albums of 1973. There are a lot of classic albums in there. There are only maybe one or two big names in there that had what I would consider lower tier albums in their catalogs.A great year for music! Does anyone still remember the days when we had good years in music?

1. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

2. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder

3. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

4. Quadrophenia - The Who

5. Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd - Lynyrd Skynyrd

6. Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye

7. Call Me - Al Green

8. Catch A Fire - Bob Marley & The Wailers

9. Band On The Run - Paul McCartney & Wings

10. New York Dolls - The New York Dolls

11. Raw Power - Iggy And The Stooges

12. For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music

13. Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin

14. There Goes Rhymin' Simon - Paul Simon

15. Aladdin Sane - David Bowie

16. Burnin' - Bob Marley and the Wailers

17. The Spinners - The Spinners

18. Fresh - Sly and the Family Stone

19. 3+3 - The Isley Brothers

20. Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

21. The Payback - James Brown

22. The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle - Bruce Springsteen

23. Berlin - Lou Reed

24. Wild and Peaceful - Kool and The Gang

25. Imagination - Gladys Knight and The Pips

26. Here Come the Warm Jets - Eno

27. Countdown to Ecstasy - Steely Dan

28. Brothers And Sisters - The Allman Brothers Band

29. Funky Kingston - Toots and the Maytals

30. Selling England by the Pound - Genesis

31. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath

32. Larks' Tongues in Aspic - King Crimson

33. Mott - Mott the Hoople

34. Paris 1919 - John Cale

35. Dixie Chicken - Little Feat

36. Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper

37. Closing Time - Tom Waits

38. Space Ritual - Hawkwind

39. Over-Nite Sensation - The Mothers

40. Faust IV - Faust

41. Future Days - Can

42. GP - Gram Parsons

43. A Wizard, a True Star - Todd Rundgren

44. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top

45. Stranded - Roxy Music

46. Blackboard Jungle Dub - The Upsetters

47. For Everyman - Jackson Browne

48. Marjory Razorblade - Kevin Coyne

49. Ship Ahoy - The O'Jays

50. Livin' for You - Al Green

51. Time Fades Away - Neil Young

52. Tyranny & Mutation - Blue Öyster Cult

53. Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. - Bruce Springsteen

54. Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer

55. The Captain and Me - The Doobie Brothers

56. Cosmic Slop - Funkadelic

57. The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman

58. Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player - Elton John

59. Desperado - Eagles

60. Extension of a Man - Donny Hathaway

61. Holland - The Beach Boys

62. Radio Gnome Invisible Part I: Flying Teapot - Gong

63. Yessongs - Yes

64. Tales from Topographic Oceans - Yes

65. Tower of Power - Tower of Power

66. Aerosmith - Aerosmith

67. We're an American Band - Grand Funk Railroad

68. A Passion Play - Jethro Tull

69. The Mack - Willie Hutch

70. Queen - Queen

71. Bachman-Turner Overdrive II - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

72. Ringo - Ringo Starr

73. Living In The Material World - George Harrison

74. Masterpiece - The Temptations

75. Stone Gon' - Barry White

76. Rockin' Roll Baby - The Stylistics

77. Goats Head Soup - The Rolling Stones

78. Killing Me Softly - Roberta Flack

79. Live at Carnegie Hall - Bill Withers

80. Betty Davis - Betty Davis

81. Montrose - Montrose

82. Ashes Are Burning - Renaissance

83. Grand Hotel - Procol Harum

84. The Marshall Tucker Band - The Marshall Tucker Band

85. In the Right Place - Dr. John

86. Piano Man - Billy Joel

87. Hard Nose the Highway - Van Morrison

88. Angel's Egg - Gong

89. The Faust Tapes - Faust

90. Next - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

91. Nobody's Fool - Dan Penn

92. Moontan - Golden Earring

93. Bloodshot - The J. Geils Band

94. Doing It to Death - The J.B.'s

95. Reunion: Live at Madison Square Garden 1972 - Dion & The Belmonts

96. Bongo Rock - The Incredible Bongo Band

97. Abandoned Luncheonette - Daryl Hall & John Oates

98. Mind Games - John Lennon

99. Red Rose Speedway - Paul McCartney & Wings

100. The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get - Joe Walsh

Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 4

Oh, Hide Your Love is pretty freakin' awesome. Micky Taylor's solo !!!

• Like 1

Are you Freakin kidding? Give your head a shake. :facepalm:

Coming after Fillmore East and Eat A Peach, it was a bit of a step down. It is certainly better than the rest of the 70s releases. I guess Im too much of a Duane fan.

Rush did. Those songs have never appeared on anything since then either

s/t came out in 74...

Rush did. Those songs have never appeared on anything since then either

s/t came out in 74...

I believe he’s referring to the Can’t Fight it/NFA single, which was released on a 45 in 1973.

• Like 2

I dislike Angie tbh.