Is it the end for Movie Pass?

Never used it. Most movies these days are at best “wait for HBO, Showtime, Starz, Epix, Amazon, Netflix et al” for me lately. Saves me money as well.

Especially since tickets went up because of recliners being installed. They take up more room which means lesser seats.

• Like 1

Never used it. Most movies these days are at best “wait for HBO, Showtime, Starz, Epix, Amazon, Netflix et al” for me lately. Saves me money as well.

Especially since tickets went up because of recliners being installed. They take up more room which means lesser seats.

I like the movie theater experience. I like the huge screen, digital projectors, awesome DTS sound, and the stadium seating they have now. Also, theater popcorn is awesome.

I'm too busy at home to give movies enough attention. Anyway, for the amount of money you save by not having a cable/satellite bill, you could see a movie every week in a nice theater even without Movie Pass.

• Like 1

I like the movie theater experience. I like the huge screen, digital projectors, awesome DTS sound, and the stadium seating they have now. Also, theater popcorn is awesome.

I'm too busy at home to give movies enough attention. Anyway, for the amount of money you save by not having a cable/satellite bill, you could see a movie every week in a nice theater even without Movie Pass.

Good thing I have advertisement heavy free sources like Crackle, Tubi, Vudu and Roku. Speaking of Roku, I agree on cable and satellite. It’s useless. I’ve got the regular subscriptions on hold since my new job ain’t paying me as much as my previous one.

• Like 1

When a movie is about to be issued on dvd, I start searching for it through my library system and get placed on a hold list. When my turn comes up the library calls me, and I have four days to pick it up. I have the movie for five days. Had a three week wait for The Post. I have more leg room on my sofa, and I own a Whirly - Pop, so I know I make better popcorn. Screw theaters! Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 3

The latest email from Movie Pass:

Dear MoviePass Members,

First and foremost, I want to personally apologize to each of you for the inconsistencies and unreliability of our service over the past few days. Additionally, I regret our lack of proactive communication with you during this time; we are working hard to improve the communications to our community moving forward.

Over the last several days, we’ve begun making changes to our service that will help us continue to offer our members a high-value, low-cost, in-theater movie experience.

We believe that the company we have built — the fastest growing subscription company in history with more than 3 million members — has revolutionized the movie industry in the U.S. The first half of 2018 saw the total box office grow by almost 10 percent compared to last year, and we know MoviePass is responsible for a significant portion of that unprecedented growth.

In order to continue growing our service and maintaining a high level of financial discipline, we need to make some modifications:

• We must reduce availability for big new-release titles, such as Mission: Impossible - Fallout and other popular new releases, at least for a while as we adjust the business model. We are working on making this more clear in the app so you know which titles are available.

• Showtimes that are offered through our service will vary from day to day, and every showtime may not be available. We encourage you to check the MoviePass app for showtimes before you leave for the theater.

• While our customer service team has made great strides of late, we still have a long way to go to provide the most responsive customer service experience for you. In the meantime, access to immediate support may become limited. However, we are working to prioritize the requests of members who are at the theater and introduce more self-help tools, as well as focus our resources on fixing glitches and bugs in the app.

Finally, we want to be as transparent as we can with these changes and any future changes. We are committed to giving you the best experience. We count on your support and loyalty while we implement these necessary steps for the company you’ve grown to love.

Thank you for your understanding and patience, and we’ll be in touch with more updates as we have them.

Mitch Lowe, CEO of MoviePass

Good thing I have advertisement heavy free sources like Crackle, Tubi, Vudu and Roku. Speaking of Roku, I agree on cable and satellite. It’s useless. I’ve got the regular subscriptions on hold since my new job ain’t paying me as much as my previous one.

It's not the commercials. It's the phone, the wife doing things, people coming over to visit, taking the dog out, the kids, etc. etc. etc. It's not the same experience when I see a movie at home.

I forgot to mention, the satellite's DVR and my combo DVD/VHS player run through the stereo, all 120 watts of it. RUSH sounds outstanding through it!

When a movie is about to be issued on dvd, I start searching for it through my library system and get placed on a hold list. When my turn comes up the library calls me, and I have four days to pick it up. I have the movie for five days. Had a three week wait for The Post. I have more leg room on my sofa, and I own a Whirly - Pop, so I know I make better popcorn. Screw theaters!

My closest AMC is further than my closest Regal so I have no use for it anyways. A Regal theater and an art house Laemmle are the closest ones for me. That will change in a year when an AMC opens near me in Montclair,CA.

Once in a while I’ll take public transportation to try out different theaters in L.A. since I love Arclight. Went to the Santa Monica one for Ready Player One and the Pasadena location for Deadpool 2. Been to the Hollywood dome once to see Bourne Ultimatum over a decade ago and tried El Capitan the first time for Zootopia. Mann’s Chinese is a good iconic one I’ve been to twice.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

I forgot to mention, the satellite's DVR and my combo DVD/VHS player run through the stereo, all 120 watts of it. RUSH sounds outstanding through it!

Do you know how many watts a modern movie theater runs through their system?

Too many for my dinky ass living room! Back in 91 Karen and I saw the tour movie the Stones made on and for IMAX, and most of the audience visibly jerked when the sound initially kicked in. I just grinned and yelled YEAH! If it's too loud, you're too f--king old. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

Too many for my dinky ass living room! Back in 91 Karen and I saw the tour movie the Stones made on and for IMAX, and most of the audience visibly jerked when the sound initially kicked in. I just grinned and yelled YEAH! If it's too loud, you're too f--king old.

I used to work in a movie theater back in the 80's and we ran just over 2000 watts through our systems. One time the janitor clipped out the speakers in our big theater listening to Dio's Holy Diver and they had to be replaced. It was quite expensive.

I'm pretty sure the theater sound systems today use a lot more electricity. I've heard they can use up to 12K watts for a larger auditorium.

• Like 1

Too many for my dinky ass living room! Back in 91 Karen and I saw the tour movie the Stones made on and for IMAX, and most of the audience visibly jerked when the sound initially kicked in. I just grinned and yelled YEAH! If it's too loud, you're too f--king old.

I used to work in a movie theater back in the 80's and we ran just over 2000 watts through our systems. One time the janitor clipped out the speakers in our big theater listening to Dio's Holy Diver and they had to be replaced. It was quite expensive.

I'm pretty sure the theater sound systems today use a lot more electricity. I've heard they can use up to 12K watts for a larger auditorium.

Imax 3D here in Lauderdale had a rebuild last year, they're up to 54 KW. Rush would be bad ass on that system.
  • Like 2

Imax 3D here in Lauderdale had a rebuild last year, they're up to 54 KW. Rush would be bad ass on that system.

That's a lot of juice!

Sometimes they play those IMAX movies a bit too loud. I personally don't mind, but my wife doesn't like it.

That's a lot of juice!

Sometimes they play those IMAX movies a bit too loud. I personally don't mind, but my wife doesn't like it.

IMAX=LOUD! The theater at Kennedy Space Center will knock you for a loop.