RIP Tony Sparano, 1961-2018

pjbear05

Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach passed away July 22 from an apparent heart attack.

Sparano formerly was head coach of the Oakland Raiders and Miami Dolphins.

:rose:

RIP Tony.

Tony was the last fully human coach to win an AFC East title.

I still remember the game when the Fins took advantage of Belicheat's hubris in not doing his "full preparation" for a Fins team he expected to be no threat, but when they introduced the Wildcat, the Fins were unstoppable on the way to a 38-13 victory and an 11-3 run on the way to win a division title.

In a lot of respects this was a shock, but in retrospect it's surprising this doesn't happen more often, high intensity people who work 80 to 90 hour weeks, with little time to take care of themselves and who might be a bit predisposed to not engage in the most cutting edge nutritional techniques would seem to be obvious candidates for this kind of thing.

But anyway RIP to someone who by all accounts was a guy who cared deeply about his craft and his players...

Coach Sparano was definitely a man loved by his players and fellow coaches.

A shocking death this time of year involving the Vikings reminds me of Korey Stringer. Sad.

Former Cowboys assistant also. It freaks me out. I always assume these guys are older than me. I am 5 months older than he was. Very sad.

I feel the same. I was born in 60'. I always do a double take when someone dies so young. RIP....