July 24th, 1998: "Saving Private Ryan" Was Released

Principled Man

Twenty years ago today, Saving Private Ryan, which many see as the greatest war film ever made, was released.

S65xwQX.jpg

Unyielding in its graphic realism, this WWII film was universally praised, especially by Veterans who served in WWII. The gripping drama of a group of weary soldiers sacrificing everything to save one man from the depths of Hell will never be forgotten.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 2

Twenty years ago today, Saving Private Ryan, which many see as the greatest war film ever made, was released.

S65xwQX.jpg

Unyielding in its graphic realism, this WWII film was universally praised, especially by Veterans who served in WWII. The gripping drama of a group of weary soldiers sacrificing everything to save one man from the depths of Hell will never be forgotten.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

This was a clue on Jeopardy today. Couldn't believe it has been 20 years. :o

• Like 1

Couldn't believe it has been 20 years. :o

I lived and studied in Normandy in the Spring of 1998. It was the greatest experience of my life.

The film was released shortly after I returned home. I saw it in the theater four times.

It's been twenty years......*sigh*....... how I wish I could return to those days......

• Like 1

I lived and studied in Normandy in the Spring of 1998. It was the greatest experience of my life.

The film was released shortly after I returned home. I saw it in the theater four times.

It's been twenty years......*sigh*....... how I wish I could return to those days......

Can't imagine what it would have been like to stand on those beaches knowing what went on there. The closest I've come is Gettysburg but I was too young to truly appreciate it.

• Like 1

Can't imagine what it would have been like to stand on those beaches knowing what went on there. The closest I've come is Gettysburg but I was too young to truly appreciate it.

I got to tour the American and German cemeteries, as well as Juno Beach. I lived and studied in Caen, which is minutes away from the beaches. The locals are still very appreciative of the Americans who came in and kicked the Germans out.

Having walked through the American Cemetery 20 years ago, I still get chills when I watch the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan - those very same walkways, green yards and white crosses and stars. :notworthy: :notworthy:

• Like 2