It's Finally Starting to Register...

vinceuher

Hello All;

My name is Vince and I'm from Scranton Pennsylvaina. I just joined this forum yesterday and this is my first post. I appoligize up front if it's too long- I'm kind of just really writing this for me to vent and express.

It's finally starting to register with me that Rush may actually be done! I feel this way today, more than before, due to the fact that I watched the documentary, "Rush Time Stand Still" yesterday and I've been in a funk since. I mean I "knew" what was going on with the band, but I just thought that it was a temporary thing. I know what was being said, but I mean the band went though someting like this before for like 5 years after Test for Echo, then BOOM, Vapor Trails was released (although I realize the circumstances were different). So since the end of that last tour and all the talk, I've been in that mind set that maybe it was just a break. However, after watching the documentary, I feel different. Alex has problems with arthritis, and Neil appears to have several medical issues going on. Not to mention that you can just hear it in Neil's voice that he's done. Even his website hasn't been updated since May 2016. I'm truly in a state today of sadness

I remember that faithful day (it's still very clear to me) in 1987 when I took my brother's car for a ride to clear my head. I looked though his cassette tapes to listen to some music and came across Grace Under Pressure. I wasn't a big fan at this point. I mean I've heard Tom Sawyer, freewill, etc.., but I wasn't big into the band at this time. To be honest, my brother wasn't either, and I still wonder how he ended up with that cassette tape. Anyway, I put the tape in and for whatever reason, the music struck me very deeply to the core. I listened to it over and over and even ended up stealing the tape from my brother and keeping it. To this day, I consider Grace Under Pressure my favorite album. I was hooked from that point on. Their music has always touched me and was very influential in my life and has helped me though some of my darkest times; battling an alcohol problem, going through a divorce with my first wife, my current wife's fight with breast cancer; I would listen to Rush and their music helped!

So when I come to the realization that they may really be done, it hurts. But I understand. They all have lives. They've been together making music for 40 years and I have all of it to remember them and my connection to them. STILL, I'm going to hold on to a little hope that someday I may hear the news that a new album is being released, an maybe- just maybe, they decide to go out on a "small" limited "tour" to play for us again. :)

• Like 7

Welcome to TRF...

...Wikipedia says "Rush was a Canadian rock band..."

Sad, but true.

However, we still have a great body of work to listen to and great memories to go along with it.

Wish the boys good health and happiness in their retirement.

Welcome, once again, some wonderful people here.

I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have over the years.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.

I prefer to look at it from the perspective of just being grateful for the music they made and for having a great backlog to go back and listen to (and watch via the DVDs/BluRays).

For what its worth, I think we will see Geddy and Alex performing again. They may perform separately or together (or both), but I think we will see more from them.

Neil Peart may be done. I hold out a small amount of hope that maybe they will reunite on stage for a festival or fund raiser of some sort, but I think the odds are vastly against even that eventuality.

• Like 4

As the ambassador for Grace under Pressure I extend to you this laurel and a hearty handshake. Welcome! ;)
  • Like 5

Welcome to the forum Vince, looking forward to seeing more of your posts ... Music can be an incredibly powerful thing - I know it has been for me - all the best to you and your wife
  • Like 2

Welcome, Vince! Hopefully, you will get to know this forum and the wonderful wackies that are here!

OjbOXBa.jpg

• Like 1

Wilkommen, Vince! :cheerleader:

Great post, and you're right about RUSH's music being great medicine...a shining light during dark times.

:cheers:

• Like 3

STILL, I'm going to hold on to a little hope that someday .....

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

-- Andy Dufresne

• Like 5

Grace Under Pressure was the album that hooked me on Rush too :ebert: :rush: just not when it first came out, I'm a late bloomer. This is a great place to share the music and thoughts, memories about Rush. Welcome!
  • Like 1

Grace Under Pressure was the album that hooked me on Rush too :ebert: :rush: just not when it first came out, I'm a late bloomer. This is a great place to share the music and thoughts, memories about Rush. Welcome!

It was the first RUSH album that threw me for a loop. The MASSIVE entrance of multiple keyboard parts, and like Alex said in that video where he teaches you how to play 'Limelight', keyboards are in direct competition with guitars, and I felt that change in Spades on this album. it took me a few plays to get comfortable with the 'new' sound. I also noticed when they went back to the more original sound on 'Counterparts'.

nvZbp3P.jpg

• Like 1