Slow and easy

Red3angel

Which rush album did you love right away and which one took a long time to grow on you before you loved it? I loved Grace right away and kings took the longest for me to grasp
  • Like 1

When I first got into them I loved everything I heard. S&A was the first album that I didn't like immediately. I eventually came to really like most of it but it was the only Rush album that took me some time to appreciate. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

CoS, 2112, AFTK, PeW, Signals, PoW, CA I knew I loved very much right away

MP actually took a few spins since I initially didn't care much for TCE and Witch Hunt, and I'd already heard most of the rest of the album.

s/t, FBN, Hems, HYF, Presto, T4E, VT, S&A I knew I liked off the bat but didn't know how much. Hems and Presto probably grew on me the most.

GuP, RTB, and CP I didn't care much for at first. GuP grew on me pretty quickly, CP took longer, and RTB got worse the more I listened to it.

Pretty much dug every album straight away...

...with exception of "Presto" and "Roll the Bones".

They've grown on me over the years...

...I like them now but can't say I love them.

I'd spin "Feedback" before reaching for them.

Anything pre 85' I loved right away. ATWAS was my first Rush album then I backtracked and bought the first 4 studio albums. After hearing the incredible live versions it took me a while to appreciate the studio versions of the ATWAS setlist... Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Loved right away and still do...

All The World's A Stage

Debut

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Grace Under Pressure

Presto

Vapor Trails

Took some time, but they're top tier now...

Caress of Steel

Permanent Waves

Loved at first listen, but really don't care to hear it anymore...

Fly By Night

Hold Your Fire

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

• Like 1

My first experience with Rush was seeing them on the TV show Don Kirschner's Rock Concert in the wee hours of the night in 1977 .. It was love at first listen, and I had great parents who always encouraged me to listen to music - so within a few short weeks, I had everything from The Debut thru A Farewell To Kings and I loved all of it ... At the time, I'm not sure my 10 year old ears grasped the chronological progression the band had made, but there was not one thing about them I didn;t love ..

Hemispheres was no different, as I remember thinking that they were starting to take the place of my other favorite band who had slipped a bit by that point ....

Jan 1980, my Dad is driving me to my second ( and last ) guitar lesson, and at a stop light, the DJ says "and here's a new one from Rush" - there was a split second pause that lasted what seemed like an hour, and then the flanged riff to Spirit Of Radio comes on and, holding my guitar notebook in the front seat with the chords to Blowin; In The Wind scribbled on it, I think "THIS is the kind of guitar I want to play" as Alex and the band launch into yet another great song ..

By the time Moving Pictures hit the stores, I had already seen them in concert three times .... Along with this new band called Iron Maiden, Rush were my favorite .... but that started to change with Moving Pictures ... I didn;t love it like I did the others ..

I bought both Signals and Grace when they were released, and continued to see them live, but the Grace was the last Rush album I bought until Feedback came out ..

Moving Pictures is an iconic album, and my love for songs like Vital Signs and Witch Hunt has really grown over time ... Signals and Grace I listen to now but I can;t say I love either ...

Since the band retired, I now own everything, and the one album that I have really warmed to is Vapor Trails ( with, ironically enough Freeze being the most warmed )

I love the band, and while I hesitate to use the word "never", but I don;t think it;s ever going to happen between myself and Presto or Roll The Bones ...

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

When I first got into them I loved everything I heard. S&A was the first album that I didn't like immediately. I eventually came to really like most of it but it was the only Rush album that took me some time to appreciate.

Presto took time for me. I eventually came around to most of it. Same with Roll the Bones. But I am with you on SnA. Its the only album that has yet to grow on me.

Edited by Wil1972

My first experience with Rush was seeing them on the TV show Don Kirschner's Rock Concert in the wee hours of the night in 1977 .. It was love at first listen, and I had great parents who always encouraged me to listen to music - so within a few short weeks, I had everything from The Debut thru A Farewell To Kings and I loved all of it ... At the time, I'm not sure my 10 year old ears grasped the chronological progression the band had made, but there was not one thing about them I didn;t love ..

Hemispheres was no different, as I remember thinking that they were starting to take the place of my other favorite band who had slipped a bit by that point ....

Jan 1980, my Dad is driving me to my second ( and last ) guitar lesson, and at a stop light, the DJ says "and here's a new one from Rush" - there was a split second pause that lasted what seemed like an hour, and then the flanged riff to Spirit Of Radio comes on and, holding my guitar notebook in the front seat with the chords to Blowin; In The Wind scribbled on it, I think "THIS is the kind of guitar I want to play" as Alex and the band launch into yet another great song ..

By the time Moving Pictures hit the stores, I had already seen them in concert three times .... Along with this new band called Iron Maiden, Rush were my favorite .... but that started to change with Moving Pictures ... I didn;t love it like I did the others ..

I bought both Signals and Grace when they were released, and continued to see them live, but the Grace was the last Rush album I bought until Feedback came out ..

Moving Pictures is an iconic album, and my love for songs like Vital Signs and Witch Hunt has really grown over time ... Signals and Grace I listen to now but I can;t say I love either ...

Since the band retired, I now own everything, and the one album that I have really warmed to is Vapor Trails ( with, ironically enough Freeze being the most warmed )

I love the band, and while I hesitate to use the word "never", but I don;t think it;s ever going to happen between myself and Presto or Roll The Bones ...

I didn't know Grace was your last also, same as me...
  • Like 1

Which rush album did you love right away and which one took a long time to grow on you before you loved it? I loved Grace right away and kings took the longest for me to grasp

Love at first listen:

Rush

FBN

CoS

AFTK

Hemispheres

MP

ATWAS

Grew to love:

PeW

Grew to like:

Signals

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

RtB

CP

TFE

ESL

ASOH

Would be OK never hearing again:

Everything else

Both Power Windows and HYF for me, was right at time heading to Uni and PoW was just a bit too 'poppy' and light for me at the time, actually had two or three years off the band, just couldnt catch up with the wave they were on.

Then a couple years later got back with the program and of course saw the brilliance of PoW & HYF to the point where both in my top 6 really

Was kinda like my intro to the band, after first hearing Hemispheres & Kings at a mate's house i thought wtf is that and just thought too esoteric for me, being a bit of a Queen head at the time i recall - The, a few months later was lent a copy of 2112 by another kid and that was that, stright to the store bought Hemispheres & kings, and Waves not long after

Thing about this band for me is their innovation sometimes slightly too far ahead of the most ardent of fans, but just makes it better when we catch up

• Like 2

Presto and Roll The Bones I guess but I was high on When Dream And Day Unite in those years. I wasn't ready for Presto until after seeing the tour.

Loved what Ruppert did for The Fixx, but I'm not sure it totally worked for Rush.