Damn

LyndseyG

On Halloween last year my mum was diagnosed with cancer of the bile duct.

She spent 3 weeks in hospital having what's known as a Whipple procedure, where they remove the bile duct and duodenum.

Last week, after having a checkup scan, we were told she has "small lesions on her lung and liver", which she would need to have chemo.

Today at the oncologist she has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer.

This is one of those cancers that don't show themselves until it's in an advanced stage. There is no cure.

She will recieve chemo, but it will be more of a palliative thing. They said that it's too early to say how long she has.

This has come as a shock to all of us.

• Like 1

Lyndsey, I have no words

I am so sorry .. I lost my sis to lymphoma, and words can't describe the emotion you must be feeling -- and words do not do justice to the sympathy I have for you, your Mom and family .. damn, this guts me to hear others that are going thru it

Just remember everyone is here for you

• Like 2

So sorry, Lyndsey. Not that it helps to hear this, but I do know what you are going through. Wish there were some magic words, but I guess the best anyone can do is to be there and listen. PM any time if you need to unload.
  • Like 4

Lyndsey, I'm so very sorry to read this news.

I promise to keep you, your mum and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Please know that you have much love coming to you from your TRF brothers and sisters.

I'm a PM away if you need a listening ear or shoulder.

Love, hope, strength to you, your mum and your family.

-Stephen (TC3)

• Like 3

On Halloween last year my mum was diagnosed with cancer of the bile duct.

She spent 3 weeks in hospital having what's known as a Whipple procedure, where they remove the bile duct and duodenum.

Last week, after having a checkup scan, we were told she has "small lesions on her lung and liver", which she would need to have chemo.

Today at the oncologist she has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer.

This is one of those cancers that don't show themselves until it's in an advanced stage. There is no cure.

She will recieve chemo, but it will be more of a palliative thing. They said that it's too early to say how long she has.

This has come as a shock to all of us.

I'm SO sorry, Lyndsey!!! I hope she does well with this and doesn't suffer at all.

7XXSiXg.jpg

• Like 1

:hug2: :hug2: I'm really sorry to hear this, Lyndsey, that's a lot to face. I hope you and your family can lean on each other for comfort- I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers. Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Thank you, everyone, for your kind messages. They mean a lot to me. You guys are awesome.

:hug2:

We visited her and my sister and her family yesterday. Mum is in remarkable spirits. Apart from the fact that she has lost a lot of weight - she said she knew something was more wrong than they thought - you wouldn't know she was poorly.

I asked her if she was scared, she replied, "Not really". She pointed out that there's a chance she could live another few years, or only a few months, like my father did. He had cancer too, you see.

She will receive chemo once a week for 3 weeks and then a week off for a check up scan. This will go on for 6 months. She has a pre-assessment on Tuesday and then will commence the following week.

It is a plan of sorts. The rest we will have to see and take things a step at a time.

• Like 5

Apart from the fact that she has lost a lot of weight , you wouldn't know she was poorly.

I asked her if she was scared, she replied, "Not really

This literally brings tears to my eyes ... Lyndsey, your Mom is a hero and a very very strong person - an inspiration..

It's great that you've gotten past the initial shock and now the plan is in place ... With all the support and great family your Mom has - plus her strength and terrific mindset - I think all that will go a long long way

• Like 1

Apart from the fact that she has lost a lot of weight , you wouldn't know she was poorly.

I asked her if she was scared, she replied, "Not really

This literally brings tears to my eyes ... Lyndsey, your Mom is a hero and a very very strong person - an inspiration..

It's great that you've gotten past the initial shock and now the plan is in place ... With all the support and great family your Mom has - plus her strength and terrific mindset - I think all that will go a long long way

Thank you!! :hug2:

Update:

Mum had her pre-assessment.

She has been told "all the ups and downs, ins and outs".

She will start her chemo next Thursday. They will be putting a PICC line in on her first visit to "save being stabbed in the hand with the cannula every time" in her words.

I'm very sorry to hear this about your mom. Cancer is such a terrible thing that affects so many. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago. Try to hang in there and I will include your mom in my prayers.
  • Like 1

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom Lyndsey, that is always hard news to receive. I lost my Mom 2 years ago to the same type of cancer. Sounds like she is a fighter so that will help you both face whatever is in the cards. Take care and God bless you both. :rose:
  • Like 1

Friend LyndseyG:

I wish God to Bless You and Your Entire Family.

This is for you: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Thank you Verena! :hug2:

• Like 1

Update on my mum:

She has had two bouts of chemo so far.

They are giving her anti sickness stuff beforehand and she takes steroids with anti sickness in 3 days afterwards.

She says she feels tired and a bit wobbly, but otherwise she is ok.

• Like 2