“What Would You Have Done?” Episode 2112: Chewed Out at WhatABurger

JohnnyBlaze

The Good, The Bad, and The Homeless  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have done if you had seen the homeless guy being chewed out by the manager?

• I would’ve done the same as MikeyBlaze.
    • I would’ve minded my own business.
    • I probably wouldn’t have done anything despite disagreeing with what the manager did.
    • I would have done nothing because I basically agree with the manager.
    • I would’ve chewed out the manager for chewing out the homeless guy.
    • I would’ve calmly disagreed with the manager.
    • I would’ve left the WhatABurger. I’m not giving money to that kind of establishment.
    • I would’ve left the WhatABurger and taken the homeless guy with me to get something elsewhere.
    • I would’ve bought the homeless guy and myself a couple of meal sets and desserts and taken my time there.
    • I would’ve left but then returned with a dozen more homeless guys and ordered extra large drinks.
    • (Other)

Got this email the other day from my eldest bro, MikeyBlaze:

“What’s wrong with some people? Was at a WhatABurger and saw a homeless guy ask for a cup of water. Manager chewed him out and said ‘NO FREEBIES!’ I went and bought an extra large cup, gave it to the guy, and told him to get what he wants. Manager then chewed me out for doing that. Really?” - Mikey

That’s messed up more than once. First, it’s just water. Second, it’s Florida in the summer meaning that it’s hotter than the seventh inner circle of hell. And third, big bro bought the drink himself for the guy so I don’t see any foul.

I’m not sure what Mikey’s response to that wanker manager was. I’m still waiting for his reply.

Thought I’d toss this in here just to put a face to the story. Mikey’s the epitome of “big lug, nice guy”. The other Blaze bros & I think he might be adopted. :P

His hilarious wife is in the center.

http://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/23916481_10159626440510176_2551399387137259574_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=3d94979ee34fbc60dbe16cd508900a5d&oe=5BD9F11B

Anyway, what would you have done?

:blaze:

• Like 4

Your brother is awesome! Homeless people face so many challenges and I know from when I worked at the public library, often people are not kind to them. The WhatABurger manager is a tool on two fronts; one being basic human decency and the other being corporate reputation. There was a notorious incident a few months ago where a Philly Starbucks asked 2 African American men to leave because they were waiting for a friend and had not bought anything yet. Starbucks has been back pedaling furiously since then trying to correct its reputation. Why would you want to take a chance with your company being the next bad guy?

All that said, there are challenges dealing with the homeless population (library stuff again) but it doesn't mean they don't deserve basic human respect.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

I would have done exactly what your brother did. That Manager DOES need to be FIRED.

TUathWX.jpg

• Like 1

Your brother is a good egg. I'd have likely done the same thing. I not comfortable enough with strangers to probably have sat down and had a meal with him, but the man was asking for water for pete's sake. A glass of water aught to be free imo, no matter who you are. If the manager got in my face about it I'd have told him exactly what I thought about the situation then calmly exited the whataburger without buying anything for myself. They'd definitely have lost me as a customer.
  • Like 5

The guy should be fired. He handled both situations badly.

My first job was at a McDonald's back in the mid 90s. We had a regular homeless man who would come in several times a week. He would buy a sandwich and a drink with whatever loose change he had gathered up since the last time he was there. He would use the restroom to clean himself up a little bit. Nothing major just quickly washing his hands, face and maybe going under his shirt to scrub out his armpits and that was it. He was a nice and harmless man from what I could tell. Some workers there had talked to him before and said he was a good guy. The only thing strange about him was being homeless.

When I first started there I bought him a meal when I was on a break. He thanked me and that was it. After I got back to work my manager told me not to do that anymore because they didn't want him to expect it all the time to try and get free meals whenever he came in. I know she was probably just telling me what those above her told her to say but I worked there for a couple years and the man never expected anything from anyone. Although he would politely accept any kindness the customers or employees may have sent his way.

The bigger issue with brother Blaze's situation is that he was a paying customer. So this manager in no way should have chewed him out. That's the main reason he should be fired.

• Like 6

I would have called my reporter acquaintance. Usually when such things are reported here in Ontario, there's some accounting. Usually a follow up story in which the manager apologizes and head office makes changes to policy - which might be lip service, but raising awareness about that kind of bullshit is always good.
  • Like 5

There's a restaurant called "WhatABurger"?

WhatAShittyName!

f**k that manager btw. He was power tripping on someone who was basically powerless.

Buy the homeless dude a meal while asking the manager:

a) how did you get to be such a big man? Did you take a course?

b) you know what Jesus would do? He'd punch you right in your spiritual balls.

c) what would your parents say if they saw you refuse a homeless man some water? I don't think they'd feel so proud right now, do you?

A little shame goes a long way.

Unless the manager has a fragile ego and a gun.

If I were Bruce Lee, I would've made the manager buy the guy a meal. And some new clothes.

If I were Jackie Chan, I would've tried to give the guy some water, been denied, and then forced to demolish the entire teahouse restaurant - at times, with great comic flair.

If I were Steven Seagal, I'd've mumbled a bunch of crap, then had my stunt-double rip the manager's arms off while I sexually harassed the female staff...I'd also have some f***ed-up hair.

Vzlz0oUk_400x400.jpg

"Feel my potent gaze! No, 'gaze: g-a-z-e'. Sheesh."

• Like 2

WhatAShittyName!

f**k that manager btw. He was power tripping on someone who was basically powerless.

c) what would your parents say if they saw you refuse a homeless man some water? I don't think they'd feel so proud right now, do you?

If I were Bruce Lee, I would've made the manager buy the guy a meal. And some new clothes.

If I were Jackie Chan, I would've tried to give the guy some water, been denied, and then forced to demolish the entire teahouse restaurant - at times, with great comic flair.

If I were Steven Seagal, I'd've mumbled a bunch of crap, then had my stunt-double rip the manager's arms off while I sexually harassed the female staff...I'd also have some f***ed-up hair.

http://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/915682107632050177/Vzlz0oUk_400x400.jpg

Seagal would’ve ordered ten double bacon cheeseburgers before mumbling his disagreeement.

• Like 2

Your brother is a good egg. I'd have likely done the same thing. I not comfortable enough with strangers to probably have sat down and had a meal with him, but the man was asking for water for pete's sake. A glass of water aught to be free imo, no matter who you are. If the manager got in my face about it I'd have told him exactly what I thought about the situation then calmly exited the whataburger without buying anything for myself. They'd definitely have lost me as a customer.

Yeah I hear you.

For me, I think would have bought the guy a drink + gotten him that original water which he requested. I also would’ve likely chewed out the manager but only if he/she chewed me out first like he did with my bro. Knowing Mikey, he probably didn’t chew out the manager. I’d guess he just said (non-angrily but shocked) something along the lines of “I’m a paying customer so why can’t I buy him a drink?”

• Like 2

The guy should be fired. He handled both situations badly.

My first job was at a McDonald's back in the mid 90s. We had a regular homeless man who would come in several times a week. He would buy a sandwich and a drink with whatever loose change he had gathered up since the last time he was there. He would use the restroom to clean himself up a little bit. Nothing major just quickly washing his hands, face and maybe going under his shirt to scrub out his armpits and that was it. He was a nice and harmless man from what I could tell. Some workers there had talked to him before and said he was a good guy. The only thing strange about him was being homeless.

When I first started there I bought him a meal when I was on a break. He thanked me and that was it. After I got back to work my manager told me not to do that anymore because they didn't want him to expect it all the time to try and get free meals whenever he came in. I know she was probably just telling me what those above her told her to say but I worked there for a couple years and the man never expected anything from anyone. Although he would politely accept any kindness the customers or employees may have sent his way.

The bigger issue with brother Blaze's situation is that he was a paying customer. So this manager in no way should have chewed him out. That's the main reason he should be fired.

Good input.

WhatAShittyName!

http://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/915682107632050177/Vzlz0oUk_400x400.jpg

Seagal would’ve ordered ten double bacon cheeseburgers before mumbling his disagreeement.

...and then whip out one of his gazillion vintage guitars and play it like a Chimpanzee.
  • Like 2

I would go with the last option of filling that f***ing place with homeless guys and buying them each a cheeseburger. Tell them to take their time eating. Don't get mad, get even.

Do a little video shoot in the restaurant and narrate the story, complete with manager dickhead's name and the address of the establishment. Then post it anywhere on the internet that you could think of (with the assistance of news media). People still think they can get away with shit even though everyone carries a video production tool in their pocket.

Manager be power tripping at his cheeseburger empire. Two weeks ago, you were the fry boy son.

Swipe a boatload of condiment packets, take them into the rest room and have a stomp party.

I'd turn that WhatABurger? into a WhatTheFuckABurger?

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Yeah I hear you.

For me, I think would have bought the guy a drink + gotten him that original water which he requested. I also would’ve likely chewed out the manager but only if he/she chewed me out first like he did with my bro. Knowing Mikey, he probably didn’t chew out the manager. I’d guess he just said (non-angrily but shocked) something along the lines of “I’m a paying customer so why can’t I buy him a drink?”

Well, Mikey just replied to me about what he said/did after the manager chewed him out.

His reply: “I ignored her.”

I guessed right about him not chewing her out. It’s just not what he does. But I am a little surprised that he didn’t say anything at all to her. Who knows though...maybe ignoring is the best thing to do for a-holes like that. It’s not like he was going to change her mind.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3