Very unpopular albums by great bands that you love?

Texas King

Hot Space

their worst album, sure

But bad? Nah, no way.

It's complete shite

Hey, save the attitude for someone who doesn't respect your taste in music, eh? :)

I don't begrudge anyone for hating it, it's easy to hate. But if you're me, it's very very easy to love as well.

Lol you realise I actually enjoy A LOT of your tastes lol

And I love many albums that are derided by fans.

Case in point:

Paradise Lost- Believe In Nothing and Host

Lacuna Coil- Karmacode and Shallow Life

Bruce Springsteen- Human Touch

Fleetwood Mac- Time

I do realize that. Your first message there just came off a little rude to me. I can imagine it wasn't meant to be, but I guess at the time I just wasn't sure.

Love this album

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic stated that Johnny the Fox fell short in comparison to the previous album, Jailbreak, suggesting that the album veers towards "an odd, half-baked concept album"

Thin_Lizzy_Johnny_The_Fox_1976-01front.jpg

It's my understanding Thin Lizzy almost never released a bad record and that JTF certainly wasn't one of them. I've only heard three records though...

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Alter Bridge-AB III

I love this album so much.

but lurking on AB forums. it is rather hated. i will never get it.

Mick

ABIII is hated? Great record. The last one kinda sucks though

I only read on some AB foums and it seemed not well liked. I don't dislike The Last Hero. but it DOES sound like a band whoes tired and just spinning their wheels. it is their weakest by far.

Mick

See I've spun The Last Hero twice these last two days and I enjoy it immensely. But I'm thinking that the moment I replay ABIII or Fortress it's going to hit me how superior they are and I may take back my high praise!

And yeah I actually left all Alter Bridge forums but one because I was treated like shit for loving ABIII as much as I do. Many fans get really nasty about it, which I honestly don't get because it delivers more than they ever promised with those first two albums.

• Like 1

Hot Space

their worst album, sure

But bad? Nah, no way.

It's complete shite

Hey, save the attitude for someone who doesn't respect your taste in music, eh? :)

I don't begrudge anyone for hating it, it's easy to hate. But if you're me, it's very very easy to love as well.

Case in point:

Fleetwood Mac- Time

I do realize that. Your first message there just came off a little rude to me. I can imagine it wasn't meant to be, but I guess at the time I just wasn't sure.

It was blunt but I honestly can't hear what you hear. It's as bad as Kilroy Was Here by Styx. Actually...worse.

But it inspired Michael Jackson so I give it that.

• Like 2

Hot Space

their worst album, sure

But bad? Nah, no way.

It's complete shite

Case in point:

Fleetwood Mac- Time

It was blunt but I honestly can't hear what you hear. It's as bad as Kilroy Was Here by Styx. Actually...worse.

But it inspired Michael Jackson so I give it that.

That's totally fair.

To me Staying Power is the funkiest thing this side of, well, it's one of the funkiest things I've ever heard. Dancer sounds like the 80s dance version of T. Rex, Back Chat is at least an unoffensive earworm, Body Language is among gutsiest experiments in Queen's catalogue, Action This Day has those halloweenish background chant vocals and is the start of more audible guitar and less synth on the album, Put Out The Fire is a rare kind of message song from Queen that rocks and puts me in a good mood, Life Is Real is among their most beautiful ballads and a moving tribute to Lennon, Calling All Girls is harmless jangle guitar pop, Las Parablas Des Amor has is probably Freddie's best vocal on the album, Cool Cat is full Freddie camp and a beautiful showcase of his falsetto, and of course Under Pressure is among the greatest songs ever written, at least in the 80s, and almost certainly my favorite duet.

At any rate, if you were ever unsure what I hear in it, that's what I hear. Many folks don't hear all that, or pretty much any of it, and that's fine. It's a very risky album, and easily my least favorite Queen record, but in all of it's risk and inability to create the spark MJ did with that sort of sound a few months later, it's very endearing to me. :)

Michael Jackson-Dangerous.

i think this is his clear best. maybe a little over long. but i spin this more than any other jackson record. it honestly my go to for MJ.

Mick

I can't choose between this or Bad

• Like 1

AC/DC, Flick of the Switch.

I never got the hate for this album. If you love AC/DC, as I do, you appreciate the, ahem, "consistency" of their discography. Is this really so different from all the others?

Fly On The Wall as well.
  • Like 2

I never got the hate for this album. If you love AC/DC, as I do, you appreciate the, ahem, "consistency" of their discography. Is this really so different from all the others?

Fly On The Wall as well.

I mean......AC/DC Has basically made the same record over and over, lol. it's a great record though.

MMick

• Like 1

Fly On The Wall as well.

I mean......AC/DC Has basically made the same record over and over, lol. it's a great record though.

MMick

Pretty true of the Brian Johnson era, and a lot of rock bands that have had long careers. Iron Maiden immediately comes to mind.
  • Like 3

Fly On The Wall as well.

MMick

Pretty true of the Brian Johnson era, and a lot of rock bands that have had long careers. Iron Maiden immediately comes to mind.

I'm completely fine with a band writing the same album when they have their own unique sound like AC/DC and Maiden. They created a sound nobody else has. What else are they gonna do? It doesn't make sense to try anything else. Could you imagine AC/DC trying to experiment and getting all proggy and deep? Wouldn't work at all.

• Like 1

Fly On The Wall as well.

MMick

I'm completely fine with a band writing the same album when they have their own unique sound like AC/DC and Maiden. They created a sound nobody else has. What else are they gonna do? It doesn't make sense to try anything else. Could you imagine AC/DC trying to experiment and getting all proggy and deep? Wouldn't work at all.

I feel the same. It's not always about variety, it's about consistency. And some bands continue to impress and perfect that signature sound. Iced Earth fit that bill.

Tremonti are a more current band that fit this mould. I'd rather have a great continuation of thebsame sound and style than a really bad experimental phase (for YOU And other fans, Lacuna Coil are an example).

• Like 2

Fly On The Wall as well.

MMick

:goodone:

Monolith-Kansas

Most feel this is the weakest of the classic period. hell i enjoy it more than Point of Know Return.

Mick

I don't.

Drastic Measures on the other hannnnnnnnnnnnnd....

I prefer that to Signals lmao

Fly On The Wall as well.

Sink the Pink is classic Brian Johnson subtlety.

• Like 1

Fly On The Wall as well.

Sink the Pink is classic Brian Johnson subtlety.

:LOL:

St Anger - Metallica....Horrible, horrible record with weak songwriting and perhaps the worst drum sound in creation.

Ring Ring - ABBA - not exactly bad but naive, and their English hadn't fully developed yet.

And we must not forget no guitar solo's. so the songs seem a billion years longer than they really are.

god i hate that album.

Mick

Yeah I hate ABBA too. ;)

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 1

St Anger - Metallica....Horrible, horrible record with weak songwriting and perhaps the worst drum sound in creation.

Ring Ring - ABBA - not exactly bad but naive, and their English hadn't fully developed yet.

And we must not forget no guitar solo's. so the songs seem a billion years longer than they really are.

god i hate that album.

Mick

Yeah I hate ABBA too. ;)

Signals is still shite

Michael Jackson-Dangerous.

i think this is his clear best. maybe a little over long. but i spin this more than any other jackson record. it honestly my go to for MJ.

Mick

Love the new jack swing sound. Lots of childhood nostalgia from that era for me. Oddly enough, that sound was started by producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis on his sister’s Control album. I got the album when I was in 5th grade but didn’t listen to it much. Got back into it shortly after he died and appreciated it more.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1