What's Done is Done

Back in mid May Fridge PM'd me to see if I was interested in taking a listen to some song ideas of his with the view of fleshing them out. I enlisted fellow TRFers, stoopid (mixing/mastering) and Prime Mover & Shaker (bass), and non-TRFer Mike (lyrics/vocals) to help. Fridge wrote the bulk of the music and played the bulk of the guitars. I wrote and played guitar on the "moody" sections and played the intro lead and the "filler" lead between the moody sections. We jokingly call our little ad-hoc group Sloppy Foot Cowboys. I hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.c...is-done/s-grMXl

0IzhxI6.jpg

Edited by JARG
  • Like 7

Gawd, soundcloud's compression is horrible.

It is. Can you recommend another platform that'll work here?

This project was a pleasure and a privilege to be involved with....A genuine bunch of guys who really care about the music. I have learned a lot about recording techniques from this and Stoopid in particular has given me extremely valuable advice and displayed unending patience with my rookie mistakes.

Nice one gents, here's to some more Rawk!

• Like 3

Great job guys .. and the quality sounds great on my end

Will there be more ??

Thanks Lucas. Yeah, one of my compositions is in the pipeline and Fridge has more ideas as well.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

Great job guys .. and the quality sounds great on my end

Will there be more ??

Thanks Lucas. Yeah, one of my compositions is in the pipeline and Fridge has more ideas as well.

cool .. I look forward to hearing it all

Nice work, guys. Just a suggestion - ride cymbal in place of closed hats? Or at least mix out the hats in the cymbal crashy bits in the first half of the song?!

Great leads

• Like 3

Nice work, guys. Just a suggestion - ride cymbal in place of closed hats? Or at least mix out the hats in the cymbal crashy bits in the first half of the song?!

Great leads

The drums were a set of mono loop tracks (I think they were loops). Future drums will be of a professional caliber, midi programmed through a virtual drum kit like Superior Drummer. The drums were a sore spot, we even tried to bring in a human drummer but they were apparently too busy to get us a working performance so we ended up making do with what's here.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

This song was very nicely put together. Those opening chords are nice and snarky. The gear change in the middle was a nice touch. Loved the backwards guitar solo -- it fit the mood perfectly. Was it always the plan to reverse that, or did one of you have a eureka moment after it was recorded?

Great leads

IMO most of those hi hats belonged there. They definitely fit the groove in the first half, though a ride during the choruses would have worked.

• Like 1

This song was very nicely put together. Those opening chords are nice and snarky. The gear change in the middle was a nice touch. Loved the backwards guitar solo -- it fit the mood perfectly. Was it always the plan to reverse that, or did one of you have a eureka moment after it was recorded?

It was conceived as a backwards solo. I felt something was needed to link those two moody sections and I didn't want just an ordinary filler solo, so I thought a reversed solo might be the right amount of strange. That was probably the 15th or so take.

• Like 1

It was conceived as a backwards solo. I felt something was needed to link those two moody sections and I didn't want just an ordinary filler solo, so I thought a reversed solo might be the right amount of strange. That was probably the 15th or so take.

Did you approach it a certain way knowing what you wanted it to sound like reversed, or did you just keep playing solos like you normally would, then reverse them and then kept the one you liked best?

• Like 1

Did you approach it a certain way knowing what you wanted it to sound like reversed, or did you just keep playing solos like you normally would, then reverse them and then kept the one you liked best?

The first few passes, I just soloed like I normally would and then reversed it to see how it sounded. Doing it that way helped me zone in on composing it "backwards" in my mind so that it would turn out the way I wanted to when I reversed it.

• Like 1

The first few passes, I just soloed like I normally would and then reversed it to see how it sounded. Doing it that way helped me zone in on composing it "backwards" in my mind so that it would turn out the way I wanted to when I reversed it.

Very interesting. I wonder if other famous backwards solos were done that way. I'll bet a few were unplanned.

• Like 2

Very interesting. I wonder if other famous backwards solos were done that way. I'll bet a few were unplanned.

Good sir, we in the biz like to refer to these moments of genius as 'happy accidents'. :D

• Like 2