Jump to content


What's Done is Done

A TRF collaboration

  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 21319 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

Back in mid May Fridge PM'd me to see if I was interested in taking a listen to some song ideas of his with the view of fleshing them out. I enlisted fellow TRFers, stoopid (mixing/mastering) and Prime Mover & Shaker (bass), and non-TRFer Mike (lyrics/vocals) to help. Fridge wrote the bulk of the music and played the bulk of the guitars. I wrote and played guitar on the "moody" sections and played the intro lead and the "filler" lead between the moody sections. We jokingly call our little ad-hoc group Sloppy Foot Cowboys. I hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.c...is-done/s-grMXl

Posted Image

Edited by JARG, 09 July 2018 - 10:40 AM.


Sponsored Post

#2 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1042 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

Witnessing the whole process and iterations for this song was amazing.

#3 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1042 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Gawd, soundcloud's compression is horrible.

#4 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 21319 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

View Poststoopid, on 09 July 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Gawd, soundcloud's compression is horrible.

It is. Can you recommend another platform that'll work here?

#5 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1042 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

You could use the dropbox mp3 link I provided the project members.  It should allow people (even non-dropbox members) to play it...

https://www.dropbox....s Done.mp3?dl=0

Edited by stoopid, 09 July 2018 - 11:01 AM.


#6 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

  • Members *
  • 10416 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

This project was a pleasure and a privilege to be involved with....A genuine bunch of guys who really care about the music. I have learned a lot about recording techniques from this and Stoopid in particular has given me extremely valuable advice and displayed unending patience with my rookie mistakes.

Nice one gents, here's to some more Rawk!

#7 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 12326 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

Great job guys  .. and the quality sounds great on my end

Will there be more ??

#8 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 21319 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostLucas, on 09 July 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Great job guys  .. and the quality sounds great on my end

Will there be more ??

Thanks Lucas. Yeah, one of my compositions is in the pipeline and Fridge has more ideas as well.

Edited by JARG, 09 July 2018 - 12:31 PM.


#9 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 12326 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostJARG, on 09 July 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 09 July 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Great job guys  .. and the quality sounds great on my end

Will there be more ??

Thanks Lucas. Yeah, one of my compositions is in the pipeline and Fridge has more ideas as well.

cool .. I look forward to hearing it all

#10 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6665 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

Nice work, guys.  Just a suggestion - ride cymbal in place of closed hats?  Or at least mix out the hats in the cymbal crashy bits in the first half of the song?!

Great leads

#11 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1042 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 09 July 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

Nice work, guys.  Just a suggestion - ride cymbal in place of closed hats?  Or at least mix out the hats in the cymbal crashy bits in the first half of the song?!

Great leads

The drums were a set of mono loop tracks (I think they were loops).  Future drums will be of a professional caliber, midi programmed through a virtual drum kit like Superior Drummer.  The drums were a sore spot, we even tried to bring in a human drummer but they were apparently too busy to get us a working performance so we ended up making do with what's here.

Edited by stoopid, 10 July 2018 - 09:20 AM.


#12 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 34571 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

This song was very nicely put together. Those opening chords are nice and snarky. The gear change in the middle was a nice touch. Loved the backwards guitar solo -- it fit the mood perfectly. Was it always the plan to reverse that, or did one of you have a eureka moment after it was recorded?

View Posttoymaker, on 09 July 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

Nice work, guys.  Just a suggestion - ride cymbal in place of closed hats?  Or at least mix out the hats in the cymbal crashy bits in the first half of the song?!

Great leads

IMO most of those hi hats belonged there. They definitely fit the groove in the first half, though a ride during the choruses would have worked.

#13 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 21319 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 11 July 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

This song was very nicely put together. Those opening chords are nice and snarky. The gear change in the middle was a nice touch. Loved the backwards guitar solo -- it fit the mood perfectly. Was it always the plan to reverse that, or did one of you have a eureka moment after it was recorded?

It was conceived as a backwards solo. I felt something was needed to link those two moody sections and I didn't want just an ordinary filler solo, so I thought a reversed solo might be the right amount of strange. That was probably the 15th or so take.

#14 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 34571 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostJARG, on 12 July 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 11 July 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

This song was very nicely put together. Those opening chords are nice and snarky. The gear change in the middle was a nice touch. Loved the backwards guitar solo -- it fit the mood perfectly. Was it always the plan to reverse that, or did one of you have a eureka moment after it was recorded?

It was conceived as a backwards solo. I felt something was needed to link those two moody sections and I didn't want just an ordinary filler solo, so I thought a reversed solo might be the right amount of strange. That was probably the 15th or so take.

Did you approach it a certain way knowing what you wanted it to sound like reversed, or did you just keep playing solos like you normally would, then reverse them and then kept the one you liked best?

#15 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 21319 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 12 July 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostJARG, on 12 July 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 11 July 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

This song was very nicely put together. Those opening chords are nice and snarky. The gear change in the middle was a nice touch. Loved the backwards guitar solo -- it fit the mood perfectly. Was it always the plan to reverse that, or did one of you have a eureka moment after it was recorded?

It was conceived as a backwards solo. I felt something was needed to link those two moody sections and I didn't want just an ordinary filler solo, so I thought a reversed solo might be the right amount of strange. That was probably the 15th or so take.

Did you approach it a certain way knowing what you wanted it to sound like reversed, or did you just keep playing solos like you normally would, then reverse them and then kept the one you liked best?

The first few passes, I just soloed like I normally would and then reversed it to see how it sounded. Doing it that way helped me zone in on composing it "backwards" in my mind so that it would turn out the way I wanted to when I reversed it.

#16 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 34571 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

View PostJARG, on 12 July 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 12 July 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

View PostJARG, on 12 July 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 11 July 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

This song was very nicely put together. Those opening chords are nice and snarky. The gear change in the middle was a nice touch. Loved the backwards guitar solo -- it fit the mood perfectly. Was it always the plan to reverse that, or did one of you have a eureka moment after it was recorded?

It was conceived as a backwards solo. I felt something was needed to link those two moody sections and I didn't want just an ordinary filler solo, so I thought a reversed solo might be the right amount of strange. That was probably the 15th or so take.

Did you approach it a certain way knowing what you wanted it to sound like reversed, or did you just keep playing solos like you normally would, then reverse them and then kept the one you liked best?

The first few passes, I just soloed like I normally would and then reversed it to see how it sounded. Doing it that way helped me zone in on composing it "backwards" in my mind so that it would turn out the way I wanted to when I reversed it.

Very interesting. I wonder if other famous backwards solos were done that way. I'll bet a few were unplanned.

#17 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1042 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:06 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 12 July 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

Very interesting. I wonder if other famous backwards solos were done that way. I'll bet a few were unplanned.

Good sir, we in the biz like to refer to these moments of genius as 'happy accidents'.  :D

#18 snowdogged

snowdogged

    Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

  • Members *
  • 5169 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Montreal
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:26 PM

Very nice job! Pretty damn good song!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users