Alice In Chains vs. Guns N Roses

Alice In Chains started life as a hair metal band  

32 members have voted

1. 1. so which do you prefer?

• Alice In Chains
    • Guns 'N Roses
    • Alice 'N Chainz!!!!!
  2. 2. and which album?

Take away the heroin sludge music and it's AiC by a mile. With it in the mix, not so much.

But heroin sludge music is what made AIC great.

Disagree. I don't see Them Bones as that. I see God Smack as that

Take away the heroin sludge music and it's AiC by a mile. With it in the mix, not so much.

True.

But being an drug addict was such a huge part of what Layne wrote about. It brought a level of both honesty and darkness to them that many other bands didn't have. I think a lot of the bands best songs were about addiction.

Edited by J2112YYZ

True.

But being an drug addict was such a huge part of what Layne wrote about. It brought a level of both honesty and darkness to them that many other bands didn't have. I think a lot of the bands best songs were about addiction.

Well, addiction was such a prevalent topic in their music (at least what I've heard of it), I'm not sure you could say anything substantial about that topic in relation to the quality of any one of their songs. Being about heroin addiction could give you Would? or it could give you God Smack. I agree it lends much of the music a degree of authenticity, but on some tracks that authenticity is less appealing than others. At times on Dirt I even feel like the tone taken towards addiction is actually much more positive than seems healthy ("you can't understand a user's mind, with your books and degrees, if you let yourself go and open your mind, I'll bet you'd be doing like me, and it ain't so bad"). Now that's disturbing on purpose, but also I remember reading somewhere that Layne was actually horrified some fans had taken those words at face value as validation for their addiction. At any rate, it's a double edged sword.

What you sing about < what you actually sing < how you sing it.

Layne was nothing if not an excellent and totally convincing singer.

Do you know where the f*ck you are?

?

The Rush Forum general music discussion board. Why?

Do you know where the f*ck you are?

?

The Rush Forum general music discussion board. Why?

That’s how Welcome to the Jungle gets introduced live.

oh, goodness I had no clue lol

Appetite is better than anything AIC has put out (or most bands for that matter), but GnR pretty much shit the bed after that. I have much more respect for AIC and Axle is a colossal douche bag so I'll pick AIC over GnR any day.