Alice In Chains started life as a hair metal band  

32 members have voted

1. 1. so which do you prefer?

• Alice In Chains
    • Guns 'N Roses
    • Alice 'N Chainz!!!!!
  2. 2. and which album?

whooa nellie

For me, these two bands are lights years apart in terms of what they brought to the table

Guns was the embodiment of a rock and roll band, a train that could derail at any moment that was an all out assault of sex and adrenaline ... I'll go to bat for the 1986-88 era Guns every day of the week, esp Slash, who highhandedly put Gibson guitars back on the map and made rock and roll cool again ...

After failing at glam, AIC became this bland, brooding wash of blah

No contest here

AIC was never a glam band. Layne Stayley sang in a glam band before that but they were never anything more than a bar cover band. None of other members of AIC were in that band and they never did anything glam under the Alice In Chains name.

bullshit

Diamond Lie was the AIC lineup until 1993 when Mike Inez replace Mike Starr .... They simply changed the name "Diamond Lie" to Alice In Chains because it was more fitting for what was going on at the time and they could jump on the bandwagon ..

Maybe EP was right after all -- what Alice In Chains .. errr, I mean Diamond Lie was here was a shitty second rate Guns rip off ....

Sincerity at its best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdeSV7b1ej0

Just as I said, they never did anything glam under the Alice In Chains name. This may have the same members but AIC was never a glam band while Diamond Lie obviously was.

It's pretty harsh to hold something like this against a band considering they were very young at the time here and still trying to figure out who they were going to be as a band which is the case for most bands when they start out. Trend hoping? Probably but that's what a lot of new bands do when they're still trying to figure out their sound.

Lucas is also a Celtic Frost fan and they have an infamous sell out album so...calling him out for unfair criticism lol

He already get's zero points for his k-pop or j-pop bullshit.

No right to pick on ANYBODY ELSE, lol

Mick

FU_01a.jpg

Aw i'm number one.

You're so sweet.

Mick

Excuse me if anyone is Number One it's me.

I have a huge ego and a need for attention so I rate this 10/10

i give you 5 hissy fit beyonce rants out of 10.

Mick

Eat my poo

• Like 1

Trend hoping? Probably but that's what a lot of new bands do when they're still trying to figure out their sound.

:goodone:

An accusation like that is rich being posted on a RUSH forum. Few bands have shifted in response to trends like RUSH have.

• Like 2

whooa nellie

For me, these two bands are lights years apart in terms of what they brought to the table

Guns was the embodiment of a rock and roll band, a train that could derail at any moment that was an all out assault of sex and adrenaline ... I'll go to bat for the 1986-88 era Guns every day of the week, esp Slash, who highhandedly put Gibson guitars back on the map and made rock and roll cool again ...

No contest here

AIC was never a glam band. Layne Stayley sang in a glam band before that but they were never anything more than a bar cover band. None of other members of AIC were in that band and they never did anything glam under the Alice In Chains name.

bullshit

Diamond Lie was the AIC lineup until 1993 when Mike Inez replace Mike Starr .... They simply changed the name "Diamond Lie" to Alice In Chains because it was more fitting for what was going on at the time and they could jump on the bandwagon ..

Maybe EP was right after all -- what Alice In Chains .. errr, I mean Diamond Lie was here was a shitty second rate Guns rip off ....

Sincerity at its best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdeSV7b1ej0

Just as I said, they never did anything glam under the Alice In Chains name. This may have the same members but AIC was never a glam band while Diamond Lie obviously was.

It's pretty harsh to hold something like this against a band considering they were very young at the time here and still trying to figure out who they were going to be as a band which is the case for most bands when they start out. Trend hoping? Probably but that's what a lot of new bands do when they're still trying to figure out their sound.

Lucas is also a Celtic Frost fan and they have an infamous sell out album so...calling him out for unfair criticism lol

I happen to love Cold Lake

hey, this is all in fun, ya know ??

Who that's bass player in there with Slash ??

http://www.slashparadise.com/media/photos-slash-snakepit/snakepit1995_003.jpg

I don't mind that album either to be fair. Have you ever tried Fields Of The Nephilim? I have no idea how to categorise them but between them and Celtic Frost the influence they had on nineties music is undeniable! (Note I said "music" and not a breakdown of a million different sub-genres).

Segue, I will look into Fields Of Nephilim ...

Getting back to Tom for a sec -

Is one really any better/worse than the other ??

celticfrostcoldlake.jpg

http://rockandrollgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Celtic-Frost-bassist-Martin-Ain-dies-at-50.jpg

whooa nellie

No contest here

I'll bat second. Appetite is up there with Van Halen, The Doors, Are You Experienced, and perhaps a handful of other albums that are in the conversation for greatest debut ever. And although it's cool to slam them, the Illusion albums are loaded with great tunes. Even The Spaghetti Incident?, full of covers. is enjoyable. I really like AiC, but GNR at their peak, 1987-1996ish, were as good as you could get in the hard rock genre.

Yeah. Not a huge fan of either but gnr was the shit for a while.

• Like 2

Mozart was mentioned somewhere in here

Everyone's road has brought them to where they are -- whatever moves you, ya know ??

But style and image is marketing ... nothing wrong with any of that either, because it is what lies beneath that is important

The song ... the composition ... the counterpoint, the melody

You take the song, and do away with everything but the song

Mozart, Alice In Chains, AKB48 ... on the piano, there's nowhere to hide

You wanna tell me AIC is closer to Mozart than AKB ??

If you're going to toss out extreme opinions, you really should know what you're talking about, musically .... We may disagree on who delivers these songs, but take away that image and allow the composition to speak ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VDjghA4x_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfY7b4dFleA

Edited by Lucas

Everyone's road has brought them to where they are -- whatever moves you, ya know ??

But style and image is marketing ... nothing wrong with any of that either, because it is what lies beneath that is important

If you're going to toss out extreme opinions, you really should know what you're talking about, musically .... We may disagree on who delivers these songs, but take away that image and allow the composition to speak ...

For the record, I pretty much agree with you.

But this is what happens when you break down the melody and counterpoint and such of AIC:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that version of Nutshell. I can't comment on the other one since I have no clue who that band or song is.

Inwas just teasing lol...sorry of it got out of hand!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that version of Nutshell. I can't comment on the other one since I have no clue who that band or song is.

The band is AKB48, the song is "Cherry Blossom Bookmark", according to Google Translate. Here's a girl doing a cover...

The band is AKB48, the song is "Cherry Blossom Bookmark", according to Google Translate.

Right. Sakura shiori

AIC for me. It all comes down to the music.

GNR was ragingly popular on the cruise strip in '88. It was blasting from the windows of every Camaro and Nova on Riverside drive. I did buy a used cassette at a pawn shop. Listened to it for awhile. It quickly fragged and I never replaced it. Never saw them live. I've heard they were either totally on or were awful. I don't like Axl. My enjoyment of GNR was moderate at best.

AIC... love their first album. Dirt is a bit depressive. I'm just not into crying for heroin. Their "acoustic" albums are awesome. Cantrell's Boggy Depot is great and shows how integral he was to the band's sound. Went to see them live twice. Once was at Lollapalooza. Staley was high enough to hunt ducks with a rake and his lack of timing kept throwing the band off. The other time was on a bill with Metallica where they didn't show. Staley was too sick to perform (Hmmmm…) We got Candlebox instead (not bad.)

Interesting both bands have/had singers who were a real problem.

It's the tunes that win for me. I still listen to AIC. I voted for my hometown boys.

I totally agree with you J2112YYZ, that is a excellent version of Nutshell

My point is that, stripped down to the bones, it really isn;t fair to lambaste Jpop because that second song comes from the biggest Jpop band ever

Sakura No Shiori was AKB48's 15th single and it was used as a closing song on their TV show Majisuka Gakuen

Here is the original .. the actual song starts at about 1:50 in ...

I fully understand how certain artists are not everyone's cup of tea .... But to use the words "garbage" and whatnot, that's really not fair ....

The group is pop, and to my ear, a lot of their songs - the composition, the melodies, etc are first rate

For those inclined, I write to this guy often - he's a great musician and really appreciates this stuff .. His entire channel is guitar versions of Jpop songs

Stripped down, you can really hear just how good the writing is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agmhGvPiB7Q

Its fine I feel the same way about a lot of European, UK and American pop artists. I don't think j-pop or k-pop are unique in delivering melodic pop, or producing decent singers.

• Like 1

AIC by a landslide for me...good as they were, GNR were much more derivative , and kind of sounded like a second rate Aerosmith to me.

Dirt is a masterpiece of distilled pain....you can feel the raw, crushingly visceral desperation in every tortured scream by Layne.

• Like 3

For those inclined, I write to this guy often - he's a great musician and really appreciates this stuff .. His entire channel is guitar versions of Jpop songs

Stripped down, you can really hear just how good the writing is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agmhGvPiB7Q

Its fine I feel the same way about a lot of European, UK and American pop artists. I don't think j-pop or k-pop are unique in delivering melodic pop, or producing decent singers.

You bring up a good point Segue, and one that sort of ties in to what I was saying ..

There is the song, and then there is the artist who delivers it ..

Take The Beatles, for example .... Their songs are undeniably influential, were masterfully crafted and well done .. I have the utmost respect for them, however, I cannot call myself a fan because there was just something lacking between myself and the four of them ... But stripped down, it's hard not to recognize and appreciate the genius ..

People's tastes can be all over the board as far as what makes the artist appealing - and if the song is there, it is really unfair to criticize a person for enjoying something that another person may not ...

I posted the above songs because it is obvious the songs are there - the foundation, the masterful structures and melodies ... and going back to the Beatles, I understand how someone may not be a fan of the artist who performs the song ...

It gets tiresome to have the value of my opinion and credibility as far as music is concerned questioned and knocked down just because I can hear something special in those songs - the artists themselves are a different story, but I post those to make the point that the person who hears the excellence in those songs - should their credibility and take on music really be "worth zero" just because I recognize the masterful job of the songs ??

I would have to question the validity of those who don't see it, as stripped down like that, I think the excellence is obvious .... People don;t have to like it, but to rip someone who does just screams of ignorance

Edited by Lucas

AIC for me. It all comes down to the music.

GNR was ragingly popular on the cruise strip in '88. It was blasting from the windows of every Camaro and Nova on Riverside drive. I did buy a used cassette at a pawn shop. Listened to it for awhile. It quickly fragged and I never replaced it. Never saw them live. I've heard they were either totally on or were awful. I don't like Axl. My enjoyment of GNR was moderate at best.

AIC... love their first album. Dirt is a bit depressive. I'm just not into crying for heroin. Their "acoustic" albums are awesome. Cantrell's Boggy Depot is great and shows how integral he was to the band's sound. Went to see them live twice. Once was at Lollapalooza. Staley was high enough to hunt ducks with a rake and his lack of timing kept throwing the band off. The other time was on a bill with Metallica where they didn't show. Staley was too sick to perform (Hmmmm…) We got Candlebox instead (not bad.)

Interesting both bands have/had singers who were a real problem.

It's the tunes that win for me. I still listen to AIC. I voted for my hometown boys.

"Riverside Drive" as a cruise. Did you grow up in Spokane?

I also saw that tour with Metallica and Candlebox as a substitute for AIC. Suicidal Tendencies were first on the bill. It was at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA. My ex and I were in the front row purely as a random luck of the draw thing. Had no idea we'd be there until I picked up the tix at Will Call. Apparently based on the configuration of the stage they added 12 seats in front and 6 pairs of ticket holders were picked randomly (likely by computer) to sit down there. None of the 12 of us had any idea we would be there.Pretty fukking cool.

Edited by driventotheedge