Alice In Chains vs. Guns N Roses

Alice In Chains started life as a hair metal band  

32 members have voted

1. 1. so which do you prefer?

• Alice In Chains
    • Guns 'N Roses
    • Alice 'N Chainz!!!!!
  2. 2. and which album?

I think these bands are closer musically and historically than rock historians would have you believe. So who do you prefer?

Oh, and which album?

Layne vs Axl - drug addicted but talented singer vs total asshole screamer - Layne

Jerry vs slash - complex musically and vocally vs Jimmy Page-ish slopfest ripoff - Jerry

Mike vs Duff - kind of a draw and there were several others in the mix. Give the toss up to Mike for his professionalism - Mike

Sean vs Spinal Tapish drummer du jour - Sean

AIC - not even close.

• Like 1

whooa nellie

For me, these two bands are lights years apart in terms of what they brought to the table

Guns was the embodiment of a rock and roll band, a train that could derail at any moment that was an all out assault of sex and adrenaline ... I'll go to bat for the 1986-88 era Guns every day of the week, esp Slash, who highhandedly put Gibson guitars back on the map and made rock and roll cool again ...

After failing at glam, AIC became this bland, brooding wash of blah

No contest here

• Like 2

whooa nellie

For me, these two bands are lights years apart in terms of what they brought to the table

Guns was the embodiment of a rock and roll band, a train that could derail at any moment that was an all out assault of sex and adrenaline ... I'll go to bat for the 1986-88 era Guns every day of the week, esp Slash, who highhandedly put Gibson guitars back on the map and made rock and roll cool again ...

No contest here

Alice In Chains had four classic albums in a row, were passionate and emotive and raw. Their eps and live material provided fans who a wealth of rich, but dark music. Guns N Roses took a bunch of cliches and made an album that could easily have been released three years before and hit the big time. Just like Nirvana, they struck a chord with the mainstream with a style that genre fans were probably already enjoying perfectly fine without them. They aren't undeserving of high praise, but they weren't genuinely, outrageously daring or original either.

Alice In Chains wrote from the heart and didn't try to cater to the mainstream. They won fans over with songs and beautiful and personable as Guns N Roses were addictive, excessive and fun.

• Like 1

whooa nellie

No contest here

Alice In Chains had four classic albums in a row, were passionate and emotive and raw. Their eps and live material provided fans who a wealth of rich, but dark music. Guns N Roses took a bunch of cliches and made an album that could easily have been released three years before and hit the big time. Just like Nirvana, they struck a chord with the mainstream with a style that genre fans were probably already enjoying perfectly fine without them. They aren't undeserving of high praise, but they weren't genuinely, outrageously daring or original either.

Alice In Chains wrote from the heart and didn't try to cater to the mainstream. They won fans over with songs and beautiful and personable as Guns N Roses were addictive, excessive and fun.

• Like 1

whooa nellie

No contest here

AIC was never a glam band. Layne Stayley sang in a glam band before that but they were never anything more than a bar cover band. None of other members of AIC were in that band and they never did anything glam under the Alice In Chains name.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

whooa nellie

No contest here

AIC was never a glam band. Layne Stayley sang in a glam band before that but they were never anything more than a bar cover band. None of other members of AIC were in that band and they never did anything glam under the Alice In Chains name.

I love you that much more for this lol

• Like 1

AIC

Only Hot Topic worshipping millennials would pick GnR.

So my 52 year old dad is a Hot Topic worshipping millennial? lol

• Like 1

I'll give AfD it's due, but after that GnR just put out bloated self-indulgent shit IMO. AIC had a much more prolific and consistent run.

In addition, I love the dissonant vocals that Layne and Jerry created. Very few bands can do that.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Personally, AIC can be too dark for me and usually lowers my mood, despite how much I may enjoy the music. They're gut wrenchingly depressing, which may be the point but isn't always my style.

GNR aren't really totally incredible either, but when they're good, they put a big smile across my face and I'm banging my head happily.

I think Dirt is the more consistent album, though stuff like Godsmack and Junkhead and the title track might go a little too far. Appetite's deep cuts like to settle for rocking hard and being fun, but the singles are so good they rest of the album is a little disappointing.

So overall, I think I prefer GNR as a band, just because they're more my speed/style, and I really connect with them at their best and even when they're average. But I'd probably have to call Dirt the better album. Never drags, never looses my attention really, just gets more and more downtrodden.

They're really pretty close when you look at the pros and cons for me though.

• Like 1

Nevermind the fact that I've only really heard Appetite and Dirt as far as whole albums go... :scared:

The deal breaker with GNR for me is Axl. fukk that voice. i don't care how Appetite may be musically.

Mick

I truly don't get the hype.

• Like 1

I bought the first GnR album and it held my interest for a few months. After that GnR faded off my musical radar.

My vote goes for AIC. I first heard of AIC when they opened for Van Halen in NJ in 1991. Most concerts I don't get into my seat early for the opening act but when I saw that it was AIC... the band name drew me from my tailgate party and into the arena, early. WOW !!! I ran out the next day and bought Facelift. Facelift > Dirt IMO.

This is so much better than anything GnR has ever done. IMO

http://youtu.be/9LT1UUKA3cM

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

whooa nellie

No contest here

I'll bat second. Appetite is up there with Van Halen, The Doors, Are You Experienced, and perhaps a handful of other albums that are in the conversation for greatest debut ever. And although it's cool to slam them, the Illusion albums are loaded with great tunes. Even The Spaghetti Incident?, full of covers. is enjoyable. I really like AiC, but GNR at their peak, 1987-1996ish, were as good as you could get in the hard rock genre.

• Like 2

Band = Alice in Chains. They were my favourite band for a long time.

Better album...= Appetite for destruction. Yeah the songs have been way over-played over the years and familiarity (often) breeds contempt, but Appetite kicks ass and is one of the Top 10 greatest rock album of all time IMO.

However I'll take AIC "Facelift" over all later AIC albums and anything GNR have done.

The deal breaker with Rush for me is Geddy Lee. fukk that voice. i don't care how 2112 may be musically.

Said 99% of the population.

Sorry mate couldn't help myself :P

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 2

I think these bands are closer musically and historically than rock historians would have you believe. So who do you prefer?

Oh, and which album?

Hahaha! Finally a poll or thread on here that made me come back and respond!! Good job my young lad. I will always love you and your dad!

I love Alice In Chains. Saw that tour when Layne opened for OZZY on the NO MORE TEARS Tour. He was in a fuckking wheelchair and still sang his ass off!!

That being said?

FUKK THE GNR HATERS!

I hated "Appetite" when it hit it's street date. Thought they were a bunch of fuckingg herioin junky posers!

Boy was I wrong!!!

I just bought the ultra GNR DELUXE BLACK APPETITE BOX SET! It's FUKKING HOT!

I want to cuddle the box set in my bed.

Are you kidding me???

Fuckking idiots on here. Really.

Not pointing any fingers.

You have your right to love and hate what you want.

But what????????

Axl Rose is a fuckking baby like Sebastian Bach. They are Evil Twins. But so used to it and love them both!!

Go listen to Barry Manilow.

I love him too!

One In A Million.....

A joke,

Live your fuckingg life and have fun

I am.

Love most of you on here.

f**k the haters.

Go get laid or stop drinking Pepsi and eating Cheetos. LOL!

RUSH WILL KILL YOUR STUPID INSIPID SOULS!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Life is wonderful without RUSH.

Hope you are all doing well.

I AM OUT!

• Like 1

Not even remotely close. Alice in Chains wins every comparison there is with the biggest blowout being vocally. Rose’s squelch has never been palatable to me. His vocals on cover tunes are a joke to me.

We agree to disagree.

I saw them live.

Love them both.

No judgement.

So sad.

Axl will destroy Brian Johnson in AC/DC. Better set. More BON!

Life goes on.

Enjoy reality.

The past is dead.

• Like 1