What is your favorite cover of a song?

Leanne

Right now, I love Weezer version of Toto 'Africa'. Yes the original is great, however, I love this version as well.

Other favorites:

Foo Fighters - Baker Street (original - Gerry Rafferty)

Disturbed - Sound of Silence (original - Simon and Garfunkel)

Hurt - Johnny Cash (original - Nine Inch Nails)

Kick out the Jams - Pearl Jam (original - MC5)

Blank Space - I Prevail (original - Taylor Swift)

I will add more to the thread as I think of them. Usually when a band covers a song, I prefer the original. However, there are some songs that bands cover that sound just as good (in my opinion anyway).

• Like 3

Voodoo Chile by SRV. Better than Jimi. There I said it.

Oh and I love Rush's version of Crossroads on Feedback...that album that everyone scoffs at.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 4

Van Halen - You Really Got Me, Pretty Woman

Aerosmith - Come Together

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams

No Doubt - It's My Life

• Like 2

Some great ones:

- "You're No Good" performed by Van Halen ( originally Dee Dee Warwick, then Linda Ronstadt )

- "Don;t Think Twice" by Mike Ness ( originally Bob Dylan )

- "New York Groove" by Ace Frehley ( originally Hello )

In all three cases, I like the originals but prefer the covers

• Like 4

Foo Fighters - Never Gonna Give You Up

Rick Astley meets Foo Fighters meets Nirvana

I think Rick was channeling MC5 pre-song. :blink:

Oh and All Along the Watchtower - Jimi over Bob...not even close.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Oh and I love Rush's version of Crossroads on Feedback...that album that everyone scoffs at.

Two great choices HB

Stevie Ray did things so effortless - he did the impossible when he took on Voodoo Chile, but in true SRV fashion, he made the impossible seem so natural and second nature ..

• Like 1

Two great choices HB

Stevie Ray did things so effortless - he did the impossible when he took on Voodoo Chile, but in true SRV fashion, he made the impossible seem so natural and second nature ..

My first exposure to SRV was on Austin City Limits early in his career. "Man this guy is good!". Then he tore into Voodoo Chile and I shit myself.
  • Like 1

Two great choices HB

My first exposure to SRV was on Austin City Limits early in his career. "Man this guy is good!". Then he tore into Voodoo Chile and I shit myself.

I remember the first time I heard SRV .. I was jamming with a drummer and bass player in high school, probably spring of 1984 and we were into VH, Maiden, Rush - ya know, all the stuff from back then ...... The drummer had the Texas Flood cassette, and because it was just the three of us at the time with no singer or PA or anything, he's like "Let's try this instrumental" and we listen to Rude Mood ..

All of a sudden, that Strat I had with the newfangled Floyd Rose and the little licks that I had learned seemed meaningless ... I was like "ummm, ummm, uh"

A few years later when I saw him with Joe Satriani, that was like a religious experience .. I liked Joe, but SRV was on an entirely different level

• Like 3

Two great choices HB

I remember the first time I heard SRV .. I was jamming with a drummer and bass player in high school, probably spring of 1984 and we were into VH, Maiden, Rush - ya know, all the stuff from back then ...... The drummer had the Texas Flood cassette, and because it was just the three of us at the time with no singer or PA or anything, he's like "Let's try this instrumental" and we listen to Rude Mood ..

All of a sudden, that Strat I had with the newfangled Floyd Rose and the little licks that I had learned seemed meaningless ... I was like "ummm, ummm, uh"

A few years later when I saw him with Joe Satriani, that was like a religious experience .. I liked Joe, but SRV was on an entirely different level

No one can cover Jimi like SRV...no one. SRV covered Little Wing on his posthumous album. Here's a live clip:

https://www.youtube....t=RDuVI7I-WDGx4

Sure others have the chops to kind of handle it, but no one has the feel for Jimi like Stevie.

Now I'm binge watching SRV on youtube.

I had a chance to see him in his next to last concert but I blew it. f**k me.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Speaking of Foo Fighters, Darling Nikki is worth mentioning.

David Bowie - Let’s Spend The Night Together

Stone Temple Pilots - Dancing Days

The Cure - Foxy Lady

The Clash - I Fought The Law

Talking Heads - Take Me To The River

George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You

Black Crowes - Hard To Handle

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

I Put A Spell On You - Creedence......(Screamin' Jay Hawkins)

Summertime Blues - Blue Cheer, The Who, Rush........(Eddie Cochran)

Twist and Shout - The Beatles.........(Isley Brothers)

All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix.........(Bob Dylan)

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 3

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams

No Doubt - It's My Life

These are 2 of my favorites!

Foo Fighters - Never Gonna Give You Up

Rick Astley meets Foo Fighters meets Nirvana

This one is fantastic!

Edited by Leanne
  • Like 1

R.E.M.-Superman (Mike Mills on lead vocals) :heart: :blush: (Originally by the 60's band Cirque)

I love R.E.M. so much and they mean the whole entire world to me, this is one of my favorite R.E.M. songs and a comfort song of mine.

Another great one is R.E.M.-Toys In The Attic (Originally sung by Aerosmith) and also Talking Heads-Take Me To The River (Idek who originally sung it oops). I have so many fav covers I don't wanna name em all bc it would take hours to find em all and everything, but some of em were already mention in this thread!!

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 3

Lacuna Coil- Enjoy The Silence

Lacuna Coil- Live To Tell

HIM- Wicked Game

HIM- Solitary Man

Machine Head- Witch Hunt

Fightstar- Leper Messiah

In This Moment- Call Me

Ghost- Bible

Ghost- Missionary Man

Bo Diddley-Bob Seger

Who Do You Love- Quicksilver Messenger Service/The Woolies (late 60's Detroit band)

Little Wing-SRV

Let's Go Get Stoned-Amboy Dukes/Joe Cocker