RTB: Only one video. Why?

jnoble

Forget about how much you liked or didn't like the album as a whole. It came out in 1991 during the heights of the MTV video era. But only the title song got a video, no Dreamline or Bravado or Ghost Of A Chance. Anyone else find that odd? All the albums previous and the two after had at least 2 videos each
  • Like 2

Most of Rush's videos suck why would you have wanted more of them? They never made many videos in the first place and they were never in heavy rotation on MTV so I understand why they didn't bother.
  • Like 1

Most of Rush's videos suck why would you have wanted more of them? They never made many videos in the first place and they were never in heavy rotation on MTV so I understand why they didn't bother.

I get that, but the album was a surprise hit and was on the radio constantly.

• Like 1

I get that, but the album was a surprise hit and was on the radio constantly.

The album was still successful without the videos. So in the end it worked out fine for them. MTV wouldn't have played them no matter how many videos were made since the grunge movement starting up around the same time.

It was a constant battle in the 80s and 90s between the band never liking or feeling comfortable doing videos and their record label wanting them to do them. When they switched labels for Presto, I think Atlantic was a little less gung-ho than Mercury about forcing them to do a lot of them.

I love RTB .Along with Counterparts a lot of the album could have been made into some great music vids.But as mentioned a lot of their vids were crap.They cheapened the music.Superconductor anyone?

It was a constant battle in the 80s and 90s between the band never liking or feeling comfortable doing videos and their record label wanting them to do them. When they switched labels for Presto, I think Atlantic was a little less gung-ho than Mercury about forcing them to do a lot of them.

But they made 3 videos for Presto songs. 2 for CP and 2 for T4E. So I get the OP's point. The real question is why no PeW era videos?

Edited by Wil1972

In the early 80s, MTV often played the Moving Pictures live vids + the studio vid of Vital Signs. I’d even say “tons”. Subdivisions and Countdown got plenty of play too as did Distant Early Warning, The Body Electric, The Enemy Within, The Big Money, and Mystic Rhythms. It started to die down a bit when Presto came along BUT I did see Show Don’t Tell and The Pass several times without much effort.

The quality of the videos (not counting the live footage) is another story.

• Like 2

In the early 80s, MTV often played the Moving Pictures live vids + the studio vid of Vital Signs. I’d even say “tons”. Subdivisions and Countdown got plenty of play too as did Distant Early Warning, The Body Electric, The Enemy Within, The Big Money, and Mystic Rhythms. It started to die down a bit when Presto came along BUT I did see Show Don’t Tell and The Pass several times without much effort.

I remember Stick it Out got played a lot on MTV when CP came out.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

It did! It even got a little part in a Beavis & Butthead episode.

• Like 1

Music videos?

We got Jersey Shore, and Teen Mom, and Wild and Out, and Catfish, and Ex on the Beach.

We don' need no steenking music videos!

• Like 4

It's odd for me to hear fans say that MTV played Rush a lot because I don't recall anything from them ever being in heavy rotation. I grew up watching MTV all the time. I can sing back every big hit the channel showed from 83-93 without a problem. None of those songs are by Rush. I discovered Rush through the radio. MTV didn't play them at all. Radio always had Rush's back though.

The first time I saw the video for Stick It Out was on that episode of Beavis and Butthead. The song was not played that much except for that. Perhaps they played Rush more at night? Since I was a kid back in the 80s I would have missed that due to an earlier bed time. Still I don't remember Rush being played with much regularity.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

It did! It even got a little part in a Beavis & Butthead episode.

I remember that.

It's odd for me to hear fans say that MTV played Rush a lot because I don't recall anything from them ever being in heavy rotation. I grew up watching MTV all the time. I can sing back every big hit the channel showed from 83-93 without a problem. None of those songs are by Rush. I discovered Rush through the radio. MTV didn't play them at all. Radio always had Rush's back though.

The first time I saw the video for Stick It Out was on that episode of Beavis and Butthead. The song was not played that much except for that. Perhaps they played Rush more at night? Since I was a kid back in the 80s I would have missed that due to an earlier bed time. Still I don't remember Rush being played with much regularity.

Its funny cause outside of Stick it Out the only Rush videos I ever saw on MTV are Subdivisions (oddly enough at like 1 AM in the 90s) and I caught the tail end of Roll the Bones one afternoon. That's it. I grew up on MTV too in the 80s and never remember seeing Rush then.

• Like 2

Its funny cause outside of Stick it Out the only Rush videos I ever saw on MTV are Subdivisions (oddly enough at like 1 AM in the 90s) and I caught the tail end of Roll the Bones one afternoon. That's it. I grew up on MTV too in the 80s and never remember seeing Rush then.

I remember seeing the video for RTB once. It was late at night to. Daylight MTV wouldn't touch Rush for anything. Rush did not equal ratings lol.

• Like 2

I was 9 in ‘81 and yes they used to play the live vids for Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, and Limelight all the time. As I mentioned previously too, Vital Signs got a lot of play too.

I used to spend countless Saturday afternoons at my buddy’s house watching MTV and reading comic books. I remember the rocket launching every hour and the announcements by Alan Hunter, Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, Martha Quinn, and J.J. Jackson announcing that Rush was going to be one of the bands played that hour. I even remember the image of the band they put up as they were announced: it was a black and white number probably taken between PeW and Moving Pictures (I could tell by Alex and Neil’s hairstyle).

In ‘82-83 as a 5th grader I’d watch MTV while waiting for my carpool to pick me up. Subdivisions was often played while I waited those weekday mornings. I even remember the promos for the vid BEFORE it was first shown. They put up that “World Premiere Video” advert bit for it and showed a tiny sliver of Subdivisions. I was a pumped little 10 year before it aired.

This MTV airplay of Rush continued up through the times I’ve already stated.

What can I say? You guys just don’t remember because they DID get the airplay I’m talking about.

• Like 2

I was 9 in ‘81 and yes they used to play the live vids for Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, and Limelight all the time. As I mentioned previously too, Vital Signs got a lot of play too.

I used to spend countless Saturday afternoons at my buddy’s house watching MTV and reading comic books. I remember the rocket launching every hour and the announcements by Alan Hunter, Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, Martha Quinn, and J.J. Jackson announcing that Rush was going to be one of the bands played that hour. I even remember the image of the band they put up as they were announced: it was a black and white number probably taken between PeW and Moving Pictures (I could tell by Alex and Neil’s hairstyle).

In ‘82-83 as a 5th grader I’d watch MTV while waiting for my carpool to pick me up. Subdivisions was often played while I waited those weekday mornings. I even remember the promos for the vid BEFORE it was first shown. They put up that “World Premiere Video” advert bit for it and showed a tiny sliver of Subdivisions. I was a pumped little 10 year before it aired.

What can I say? You guys just don’t remember because they DID get the airplay I’m talking about.

Then the bigger mystery is why can I remember everything else they played back then, even songs I don't like yet not remember any Rush? I have fond memories of growing up with MTV, Rush is not in any of those. I do find the whole thing fascinating though. How some people can have a completely different recall than others even though they watched the same thing.

• Like 2

Then the bigger mystery is why can I remember everything else they played back then, even songs I don't like yet not remember any Rush? I have fond memories of growing up with MTV, Rush is not in any of those. I do find the whole thing fascinating though. How some people can have a completely different recall than others even though they watched the same thing.

Yea same for me - I must have not been watching at the right times. I remember freaking Kajagoogoo but not any Rush.

• Like 1

At the time of Roll The Bones, Geddy said (was it on Rockline?) they didn't want to spend the money on videos because they weren't getting played anyway.

As far a Rush videos being played on MTV, they were an MTV staple between late 1981 and 1984 when Warner Brothers owned MTV. When Viacom bought MTV and they went in a more pop and less rock direction so I tuned out until the new Rush record was due to be released.

Rush was still played on MTV after that, but it was only when they would get a new video and after about a month or so it pretty much disappeared. It really sucked having to endure all of the crap from about '85 on waiting to record the new rush video. After I recorded it there was no need to keep watching until the next album came out and I had to do it all over again. By '93, I was able to get the videos at records shows so I didn't have to watch MTV anymore.

I think all of the Rush video have been reissued in some capacity over the years except for Countdown and The Body Electric (And the full version of The Big Money.) But you can probably find those online somewhere anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah I can’t explain it either. I didn’t see much of the Time Stand Still video on MTV though. BUT that was right around the time when they really started to experiment with other non-music programming. The Rush videos from HYF and after were certainly shown much less than those in the early-mid 80s.

• Like 1

I still remember the World Premiere of The Big Money video. It was teased the week before and everything!
  • Like 4