Van Halen and the Deluxe Edition Phobia?

I've been on a big DLR era VH binge of late. Those first 6 albums are perfect, IMO. And because they're relatively short, I've been listening to a lot of bootlegs on YouTube to supplement the actual albums. VH has some good quality video of their performances, and I'm sure they have more audio available. They also have some outstanding unreleased material from the various demos they prepared. Anyone have any thoughts on why they've never gone the "deluxe edition/box set," route? I've read that Eddie won't release any of that material, which is a real shame. Right Here Right Now is a fine document of the Van Hagar era (if not exactly "live," ala Kiss Alive!) but Tokyo Dome is cringe inducing at times. Some good classic era material would be great to have, especially since a lot of lesser acts have gone with multiple deluxe editions and box sets.
  • Like 6

I've been on a big DLR era VH binge of late. Those first 6 albums are perfect, IMO. And because they're relatively short, I've been listening to a lot of bootlegs on YouTube to supplement the actual albums. VH has some good quality video of their performances, and I'm sure they have more audio available. They also have some outstanding unreleased material from the various demos they prepared. Anyone have any thoughts on why they've never gone the "deluxe edition/box set," route? I've read that Eddie won't release any of that material, which is a real shame. Right Here Right Now is a fine document of the Van Hagar era (if not exactly "live," ala Kiss Alive!) but Tokyo Dome is cringe inducing at times. Some good classic era material would be great to have, especially since a lot of lesser acts have gone with multiple deluxe editions and box sets.

I have wondered why there's no live album from the DLR years. I would snatch that up in an instant.

• Like 4

I found that Fresno one on Dime years ago, and another early one. Might be Fresno 77? Cool glimpse into the past.

Hell of a band - they were on fire back then.

• Like 1

I found that Fresno one on Dime years ago, and another early one. Might be Fresno 77? Cool glimpse into the past.

Hell of a band - they were on fire back then.

:yes:

I have wondered why there's no live album from the DLR years. I would snatch that up in an instant.

My first concert was Van Halen in 1980 and most of the way through the show, a guy came out with one of those giant video cameras on his shoulder and attached to it was a light so bright it was probably an aircraft landing light. Ever the showman, Dave informed us we were helping them film and record the concert for a live video and album. Remind me again when the first official live album was released?

Lying sob.

Also during that concert during "Ice Cream Man", DLR was carrying and apparently playing a guitar shaped like an Eskimo Pie and painted like the box. The stick was the neck.

:LOL:

Classic VH were an amazing live experience, but were they really great sounding? I think they're a bit like Zep in that the actual live sound, divorced from the actual live experience, was hit and miss, especially Dave.

Goldenwest Ballroom 1976 is a great listen. It's a little raw but that's what I like about the early VH.

http://youtu.be/zBeZP71_JAU

The live MTV videos from 1981 at the Oakland Coliseum. The audio from that show has got to be in Eddie sock drawer and should be released.

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Classic VH were an amazing live experience, but were they really great sounding? I think they're a bit like Zep in that the actual live sound, divorced from the actual live experience, was hit and miss, especially Dave.

Saw them on the 1984 tour. Dave wasn't great sounding, but he performed great, if that makes sense. The show was fantastic to see in person. I doubt the audio does it justice.

• Like 2