Most underrated rush album

Red3angel

Signals. It follows their two masterpieces, and unfairly gets lumped in with the three albums that followed as part of the, "they lost their way," era. But Subdivisions is one of their best crafted songs, The Analog Kid and Digital Man were still pretty heavy, and with The Weapon they found a way to be heavy AND use the synths. And Losing It (much like Different Strings) was a true ballad, and beautiful.

I like a lot more than I did when it was released.

I bet a lot of people feel that way. Coming after PeW and MP was tough. But now that people can see what came after Signals . . .

Nothing wrong with loads of superior albums.

Nothing after Signals approaches “superior” to it.

I think GUP slays it.

oh i think plenty match and surpass signals. i couldn't give less than a shit what ged says, lol

Mick

Ged was pandering.
  • Like 1

Signals. It follows their two masterpieces, and unfairly gets lumped in with the three albums that followed as part of the, "they lost their way," era. But Subdivisions is one of their best crafted songs, The Analog Kid and Digital Man were still pretty heavy, and with The Weapon they found a way to be heavy AND use the synths. And Losing It (much like Different Strings) was a true ballad, and beautiful.

I bet a lot of people feel that way. Coming after PeW and MP was tough. But now that people can see what came after Signals . . .

I think GUP slays it.

oh i think plenty match and surpass signals. i couldn't give less than a shit what ged says, lol

Mick

Ged was pandering.

and from what i've read here it worked, lol

Mick

• Like 1

RTB is Rush's worst album. Completists only.

Power Windows is much more underrated.

can't Stand RTB. Tunes are weak productions akin to a 2nd rate girl group.

Mick

I don't mind the lyrics or music on the weaker songs on Bones, it was Hines production that ruins it for me. Alex's guitar is so weak and tinny throughout, even more so then the previous albums. My go to example is the guitar part during b "The odds get even" parts of YBYL. It sounds like Alex is playing a cheap Sears guitar through a cheap amp in the studio parking lot. Thank God they fixed their sound on the next album

Alas, they fixed the sound and broke the songs (and the lyrics managed to get a lot worse).

• Like 1

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

You know, it took a lot of courage to say, in essence, “we took a discography that was constantly reaching new heights and we dumped it in the toilet by trying to become Spandau Ballet.” On the R40 tour they went from Roll the Bones to Signals at the show I saw. I choose to believe his contrition was sincere, evidenced by pretending those albums never existed. Mock him all you like goose.

• Like 1

hell yea (even though i love Signals but still, lol)

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

And I enjoy Counterparts and Snakes And Arrows more. Clockwork Angels about the same as Signals.

Yeah. Signals wasn't that special.

There’s a reason Geddy makes a thinly veiled reference to the synth era in BtLS when he compares it to the “best Rush.”

Good for him. I'm glad he has an opinion different to mine. I'm glad I don't need others validation to prove the merit of my voice.

If you're going to make opinionated comments, which I completely support on a board like this, you really can't get your nose out of joint about other people doing so. I'm sure you see the irony in offering your differing opinion, but when met with one retreating to "I'm entitled to my opinion."

I don't mind you enjoy Signals. I was just being feisty.

After all I love Vapor Trails haha

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

And I enjoy Counterparts and Snakes And Arrows more. Clockwork Angels about the same as Signals.

There’s a reason Geddy makes a thinly veiled reference to the synth era in BtLS when he compares it to the “best Rush.”

Good for him. I'm glad he has an opinion different to mine. I'm glad I don't need others validation to prove the merit of my voice.

If you're going to make opinionated comments, which I completely support on a board like this, you really can't get your nose out of joint about other people doing so. I'm sure you see the irony in offering your differing opinion, but when met with one retreating to "I'm entitled to my opinion."

Vapor Trails is a good album. :)

I welcome people telling me they disagree with me and why. And I don’t mind getting zinged in the process. What I don’t get is people protesting that they’re entitled to their own opinion, as if everyone here doesn’t stipulate to that fact. Not talking about you in particular, but on the board it happens a lot when someone responds to another poster. We get that we all have different opinions, and everyone’s is equally valid. Tell me why you disagree with me and don’t take disputes about music personal. That’s my view anyways.

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

You know, it took a lot of courage to say, in essence, “we took a discography that was constantly reaching new heights and we dumped it in the toilet by trying to become Spandau Ballet.” On the R40 tour they went from Roll the Bones to Signals at the show I saw. I choose to believe his contrition was sincere, evidenced by pretending those albums never existed. Mock him all you like goose.

Hadn't they just dome a synth era-heavy tour before that (a tour I skipped because of a setlist I didn't care to see). I do think Ged was playing up the heavier stuff in response to the film-makers, but there's no denying that by HYF they had gone too far (how many times have a posted that photo of the Casio keyboards?). :cheers:
  • Like 2

I'm a lunatic (assuming we're ranking on what we enjoy and not what we believe is most accepted as generally the best).

1. COS

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. PeW

5. MP

I enjoy prog Rush slightly more than classic Rush, even though I accept that classic Rush is more popular and musically mature.

• Like 1

I'm a lunatic (assuming we're ranking on what we enjoy and not what we believe is most accepted as generally the best).

1. COS

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. PeW

5. MP

I enjoy prog Rush slightly more than classic Rush, even though I accept that classic Rush is more popular and musically mature.

Isn’t some of “classic” Rush “prog” Rush? Or vice versa? Where’s the line?

Currently, here are my top 5:

1. MP

2. PeW

3. Hemispheres

4. AFTK

5. 2112

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

Hadn't they just dome a synth era-heavy tour before that (a tour I skipped because of a setlist I didn't care to see). I do think Ged was playing up the heavier stuff in response to the film-makers, but there's no denying that by HYF they had gone too far (how many times have a posted that photo of the Casio keyboards?). :cheers:

For all the shit I give the synth period, I still really like a lot of it. Having said that, to me, it is their weakest work (minus Counterparts, of course) and I was very happy that the R40 tour largely ignored it (with the awesome exception of Losing It).

• Like 1

1. COS

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. PeW

5. MP

That's a strong top five.

1. COS

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. PeW

5. MP

Isn’t some of “classic” Rush “prog” Rush? Or vice versa? Where’s the line?

Currently, here are my top 5:

1. MP

2. PeW

3. Hemispheres

4. AFTK

5. 2112

I usually categorize like this:

Early Rush

Rush

FBN

Prog Rush

CoS

AFTK

Hemi

Classic Rush

PeW

MP

Synth Rush

Signals

GuP

PoW

HYF

Thin Guitar Rush

Presto

RTB

Dumpster Fire Rush

Counterparts

Real Guitar Rush

Counterparts

T4E

Heavy Rush

VT

S&A

CA

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

For all the shit I give the synth period, I still really like a lot of it. Having said that, to me, it is their weakest work (minus Counterparts, of course) and I was very happy that the R40 tour largely ignored it (with the awesome exception of Losing It).

I've said many times that other bands did the 80s synth sound much better than RUSH. But nobody did the kind of rock featured in your top 5 better than RUSH.
  • Like 1

1. COS

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. PeW

5. MP

You could almost escape being called a lunatic with that list but for the fact that you have CoS a staggering 4 spots above MP.

Lunatic.

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

For me it's relative. Rush is one of my favorite bands, so of course I like PoW more than I like anything by Megadeth. But The Manhattan Project doesn't hold a candle to Freewill in my book.

• Like 1

1. COS

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. PeW

5. MP

You could almost escape being called a lunatic with that list but for the fact that you have CoS a staggering 4 spots above MP.

Lunatic.

My most listened to songs of the approx 24,000 I have in my library are The Necromancer and FoL. I love story-telling Rush, and those are 2 of my favorites, with only 2112, Hemispheres and Red Barchetta contending. ITIGB is an obvious weak spot, but it's still better than Witch Hunt and Vital Signs (insert lunatic reference here). Bastille Day is more metal than anything off of MP (yw Earl), and Lakeside Park is nicely told nostalgia story.

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

For me it's relative. Rush is one of my favorite bands, so of course I like PoW more than I like anything by Megadeth. But The Manhattan Project doesn't hold a candle to Freewill in my book.

I agree in concept, but disagree with the Manhattan Project reference. I like the story-telling Rush, even when saturated in synths.

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

I think that's the explanation they gave for the set list. But Ronnie James Dio also gave an interview in 2007 during which he said Dio-era Black Sabbath was going out as Heaven & Hell so that fans wouldn't go to the show expecting to hear Iron Man. And shortly thereafter Ozzy filed suit against Tony for 50% ownership of the rights to the name Black Sabbath.

Clockwork Angels tour could have been the PoW Tour II. I still wish I hadn't missed the show in NH, because I do enjoy Clockwork.

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

I agree in concept, but disagree with the Manhattan Project reference. I like the story-telling Rush, even when saturated in synths.

I actually think the 80s stuff has more life to it than the 90s does.

Mick

I like Signals.

I love:

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Presto

Roll The Bones

Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails is a good album. :)

I welcome people telling me they disagree with me and why. And I don’t mind getting zinged in the process. What I don’t get is people protesting that they’re entitled to their own opinion, as if everyone here doesn’t stipulate to that fact. Not talking about you in particular, but on the board it happens a lot when someone responds to another poster. We get that we all have different opinions, and everyone’s is equally valid. Tell me why you disagree with me and don’t take disputes about music personal. That’s my view anyways.

Yeah. My issue is I post whilst I have odd moments on shift so I never have time to chime in properly and I am a short fuse nowadays.

I think for me I just don't enjoy the music or the lyrics on Signals. I find most of it cringey. I've never really enjoyed it but I never skip it when I have a Rush marathon (I reserve that for T4E)

I think Presto is underrated. It's far from a "classic" but there's some strong, dark, and brooding stuff I really like on the album. I also think that "Signals" gets a bad wrap because of the BEAST it followed up. That's another album I love a lot.
  • Like 1

The answer you are looking for is SNAKES & ARROWS!!!

If S+A is the answer, I shudder to hear the question.

• Like 1

I think GUP slays it.

Mick

Ged was pandering.

I think that's the explanation they gave for the set list. But Ronnie James Dio also gave an interview in 2007 during which he said Dio-era Black Sabbath was going out as Heaven & Hell so that fans wouldn't go to the show expecting to hear Iron Man. And shortly thereafter Ozzy filed suit against Tony for 50% ownership of the rights to the name Black Sabbath.

Clockwork Angels tour could have been the PoW Tour II. I still wish I hadn't missed the show in NH, because I do enjoy Clockwork.

The second set was orders of magnitude better than the first on the CA tour. But quite honestly, the synthetic era PoW heavy stuff does sound better/harder live.

I think Presto is underrated. It's far from a "classic" but there's some strong, dark, and brooding stuff I really like on the album.

A remix would do it wonders. Same with RTB.

You hear me Steven Wilson?