Using names

Mike Check

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by hearing their name multiple times in a conversation? I work in a call center so I get similar to the following a lot.

Caller: Hi Mike, I'm hoping you can help me Mike. So, Mike, I want to know how to do ____. Can you help me with that Mike?

• Like 4

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by hearing their name multiple times in a conversation? I work in a call center so I get similar to the following a lot.

Caller: Hi Mike, I'm hoping you can help me Mike. So, Mike, I want to know how to do ____. Can you help me with that Mike?

Yeah that sounds annoying. Never really had that happen to me before, though.

• Like 1

Well, at least they remember your name. That's more than I can say for myself when I get some random business call or have to call one. I can see how it can get annoying. I understand saying your name at the start of the conversation but repeating it throughout seems highly unnecessary. Perhaps the caller feels that by saying your name more often they can build a better rapport with you which will make it easier to take care of whatever matter the call is for.
  • Like 2

I have a co-worker who says my name about half a dozen times in a row when he wants my attention, which is often. Grrrrr.
  • Like 1

I have a co-worker who says my name about half a dozen times in a row when he wants my attention, which is often. Grrrrr.

http://www.fmicassets.com/sites/evhgear.com/themes/img/extras/eruption/eruption_1.jpg

• Like 1

It is interesting to hear your side of it because when I end up talking to a call center, I do try to catch the name of the person I am talking to when they first introduce themselves. I only use it once or twice, though, usually to thank the person when we are finishing up. But, yes, maybe they are trying to make a connection with you somehow. Sounds like not the right one, though! :LOL:

If I'm not able to catch their name, that's ok too. The only time I really noticed it was when I had to call somewhere twice for customer service (can't remember what- maybe Samsung? I dunno). The place I called had people answer each time with a really strong foreign accent and not a very good command of English; that happens sometimes too, but what was funny was both times they said, " Hello, my name is Jim, how is the weather in your state today?" Like the company was trying really hard to give the impression it was a US call center; maybe it was but if so the people could hardly pronounce the name Jim! As I recall, they did a good job resolving my problem anyway. :)

• Like 1

I did know an acquaintance at my kid's school that used to do that as well, face to face. She would insert my name frequently in conversation, it was just somewhat unexpected, and yes, a little annoying. It turned out she was very shy and had just moved to the area and it helped her remember names of people that she met. I could deal with it a little better after I heard that.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Well, at least they remember your name. That's more than I can say for myself when I get some random business call or have to call one. I can see how it can get annoying. I understand saying your name at the start of the conversation but repeating it throughout seems highly unnecessary. Perhaps the caller feels that by saying your name more often they can build a better rapport with you which will make it easier to take care of whatever matter the call is for.

That's what I've been told but I don't like it and don't do it with anyone.

I prefer to hear my name as opposed to something like "sir" .. but I know, if you are calling a company or a service for assistance, they are most likely programmed to repeat your name in an effort to make you feel that you are important to them ( which is not a bad thing actually ) ... There are far worse things in life to deal with ..

There's a new bank teller at the bank that go to for my shop ... I never use the drive thru because it is too impersonal, and I like going in and seeing the bankers face-to-face ... Anyways, the new guy is Connor .. everyone else in the bank knows me and calls me by my name, so when I saw Connor for the first time, and he said "Hello sir, how can I help you ?" I made a point to telling him my name , so when I see him again, we wouldn;t have to go thru the painful "sir" thing anymore ..

I make a point of remembering people's names - cashiers at the market, the bank tellers, counter people at restaurants, etc .. If I see you once, I will remember your name ... and that's what I prefer from people too

• Like 3

I prefer to hear my name as opposed to something like "sir" .. but I know, if you are calling a company or a service for assistance, they are most likely programmed to repeat your name in an effort to make you feel that you are important to them ( which is not a bad thing actually ) ... There are far worse things in life to deal with ..

There's a new bank teller at the bank that go to for my shop ... I never use the drive thru because it is too impersonal, and I like going in and seeing the bankers face-to-face ... Anyways, the new guy is Connor .. everyone else in the bank knows me and calls me by my name, so when I saw Connor for the first time, and he said "Hello sir, how can I help you ?" I made a point to telling him my name , so when I see him again, we wouldn;t have to go thru the painful "sir" thing anymore ..

I make a point of remembering people's names - cashiers at the market, the bank tellers, counter people at restaurants, etc .. If I see you once, I will remember your name ... and that's what I prefer from people too

Sir being substituted for my name would still irk me if it's done with the same frequency. I do use sir/mam and the customer's name when they call, but try to limit the name to beginning and end of call plus coming back from on hold. I refuse to do it with every sentence even with previous managers (luckily not with the current company) have wanted me to do it. It feels artificial to my ears along with being too stiff.
  • Like 1

Caller: Hi Mike Mills, I'm hoping you can help me Mike Mills. So, Mike Mills, I want to know how to do ____. Can you help me with that Mike Mills?

rem-Mills-a.jpg

There, fixed!! :) :heart:

I occasionally wondered why you sometimes call TRFers by their true first name.

To me, HOW someone says the name is more telling than the frequency in which the name is stated. Generally, I think most of us can tell when someone is just going through the motions and saying a line (in this case, our name) or genuinely being friendly/cordial.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

It really irritates me when I hear two people talking to each other and one keeps saying the other’s name. "Julie come and look at this. What do you think Julie? Do you want one Julie?"

It's nauseating. It makes me think this wanker has had a go at "Julie" earlier and is trying to ingratiate themselves. Or some other tension.

Call centres are not too bad for that over here and like it has already been said I hate being called "sir".

• Like 1

I'm terrible with names, so I try to repeat the name a few times in the futile hope that it will stick. Otherwise I'm just standing there thinking "her name is Mary, her name is Mary, Mary is easy to remember: mother Mary, Mary-Jane etc" and not paying attention to what Mary is saying because I'm trying to remember her stupid name.

This is why I hate people call everybody "you". ;)

• Like 2

I'm terrible with names, so I try to repeat the name a few times in the futile hope that it will stick. Otherwise I'm just standing there thinking "her name is Mary, her name is Mary, Mary is easy to remember: mother Mary, Mary-Jane etc" and not paying attention to what Mary is saying because I'm trying to remember her stupid name.

Back in the early 1990s, a friend of mine - Bill - was working as a guitar tech / repairman, and he was a huge KISS fan .. He found out that Ace Frehley was selling a lot of his personal stuff - guitars, old costumes, and stuff he had hoarded since the 70s .. So Bill was able to contact Ace - who, at the time was broke - and the two planned to meet in a parking lot in Connecticut ..

Bill said that Ace drives up, gets out of his car carrying a popsicle, and greets Bill with "hey Curly"

Over time, Bill ended up buying a shitload of stuff, and even did a lot of favors for Ace in terms of his fanclub, repairs, etc ...... At that time, I remember Bill was always flattered by the fact that Ace had come up with a nickname for him -- every time they met, Ace would refer to Bill as "Curly" ...

Fast forward to more recent history, as their autobiographies point out, Ace has been calling people "Curly" since the early days when he doesn;t remember your name ..

About a year ago I walked into the shop where Bill works, and when he came out of the back I said "Hey Curly" and he didn't find it funny

:LOL:

• Like 1

It’s been said that during first encounters there’s an 83.5% likelihood you’ll recall someone’s name (forever) if you repeat it four to five times within a ten minute conversation.

This is bs really. I just wanted to toss you some numbers because it’s been a while. :blaze:

I call this one ten year kid I teach “Mozzarella Cheese” because a few weeks ago he jokingly screamed that when I asked him what food he likes. Another kid i call “Captain Marvel” because he’s always wearing Marvel t-shirts. He loves being called that crap. :LOL:

Despite my best efforts, there are too many names to remember in too many sites.

So if you’re lucky I’ll remember your name. If you’re luckier I’ll give you a false name. :blaze:

• Like 1

:LOL:

• Like 1