POLL: Hit songs (popular singles) or album cuts?

Texas King

POLL: Hit songs (popular singles) or album cuts?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Hit songs (popular singles) or album cuts?

• Hit songs (popular singles)
    • Album cuts
    • undecided

It can vary wildly depending on the band. I listen to full albums because most bands have great deep cuts worth checking out, but in many cases my favorite song turns out to be a hit. With Rush this isn't so, but they're just odd that way.

Like, Bon Jovi, I've listened through Slippery When Wet a few times, and I don't understand how the deep cuts fail to be nearly as great as the singles on that (imo, sorry Segue).

But then, take Judas Priest. Now I love the hits, but I'm not about to rank Living After Midnight or You've Got Another Thing Coming above Beyond The Realms Of Death or anything.

• Like 1

It can vary wildly depending on the band. I listen to full albums because most bands have great deep cuts worth checking out, but in many cases my favorite song turns out to be a hit. With Rush this isn't so, but they're just odd that way.

Like, Bon Jovi, I've listened through Slippery When Wet a few times, and I don't understand how the deep cuts fail to be nearly as great as the singles on that (imo, sorry Segue).

But then, take Judas Priest. Now I love the hits, but I'm not about to rank Living After Midnight or You've Got Another Thing Coming above Beyond The Realms Of Death or anything.

Slippery When Wet is one of my least favourite albums by him haha...I actually prefer his first two and New Jersey.

• Like 2

It depends on the band. For some the hits are among their best material. I'll use Billy Joel as an example. He has a number of great albums but not many will deny that a lot of his hit singles are among his best songs. But then there are bands who write a song or two on each album just to be singles and the rest of their songs sound nothing like that and their catalog is much different. Judas Priest is a good example. Their hit singles are fine for what they were trying to accomplish by writing those tunes. But their album cuts are much better than the five songs the radio has played from them for the last 30 plus years.
  • Like 1

It depends on the band. For some the hits are among their best material. I'll use Billy Joel as an example. He has a number of great albums but not many will deny that a lot of his hit singles are among his best songs. But then there are bands who write a song or two on each album just to be singles and the rest of their songs sound nothing like that and their catalog is much different. Judas Priest is a good example. Their hit singles are fine for what they were trying to accomplish by writing those tunes. But their album cuts are much better than the five songs the radio has played from them for the last 30 plus years.

Electric Eye being the exception because that song absolutely slays, but yes I totally agree.

Electric Eye being the exception because that song absolutely slays, but yes I totally agree.

Electric Eye isn't a hit single. Never heard it on the radio in my life. Don't even think they made a video for it. It's a great tune that opens their biggest album. That's why the song is so popular among the fans.

Slippery When Wet is one of my least favourite albums by him haha...I actually prefer his first two and New Jersey.

My two favs are Crush and These Days.

with New Jersey 3rd.

Yea as is mostly the case with me and nearly every band. their break through album is my least fav.

Mick

Electric Eye isn't a hit single. Never heard it on the radio in my life. Don't even think they made a video for it. It's a great tune that opens their biggest album. That's why the song is so popular among the fans.

It was used to advertise the Honda Odyssey some years ago in a tv commercial. It's also on guitar hero and I just assumed that meant it was some kind of hit.

It was used to advertise the Honda Odyssey some years ago in a tv commercial. It's also on guitar hero and I just assumed that meant it was some kind of hit.

A hit with the fans but not with the mainstream. One of the few non radio hits Priest plays that everyone reacts to live.

• Like 1

A hit with the fans but not with the mainstream. One of the few non radio hits Priest plays that everyone reacts to live.

Guess it was too epic for the radio. Maybe if Glen had held back on the solo they would've picked it up, but that would've been a greater tragedy.

• Like 1

My two favs are Crush and These Days.

with New Jersey 3rd.

Yea as is mostly the case with me and nearly every band. their break through album is my least fav.

Mick

I was all about Slippery When Wet and New Jersey when I was a kid. Wore those cassettes out. But as I got older and broadened my musical horizons, I left them behind because Bon Jovi got cheesier and more lame the longer they went on. I guess as a kid I didn't realise how horribly generic everything they did was in the first place.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Guess it was too epic for the radio. Maybe if Glen had held back on the solo they would've picked it up, but that would've been a greater tragedy.

I think the lyrics were too good for 80s rock radio as well.

• Like 1

If there's nothing beyond 'the hits' then I'm not interested. I always find the album cuts more interesting. If nothing else, I get sick of the overplayed 'hits'.

Soundgarden Superunknown is a great example of this. As much as Black Hole Sun is a great song and one of their top 5 most popular, I always skip over it.

Artists like Billy Joel, Boz Scaggs, and early Pat Benatar - they had runs of albums in which every song on the album was so well written and done to perfection - dropping the needle anywhere would have resulted in hearing a high point ... Bat Out Of Hell is like that too -- there was no shame in the fact that every song was excellent but accessible .. I agree in that their "deep cuts" were just as good, if not better, than a lot of other artists' one song that was promoted ...

So it does depend on the band, because there are some who just cannot cut it when you start digging deeper

When I think of The Rolling Stones, their early to mid 70s era had a fair share of hits, but they are a band too that really filled up those albums with great songs ... I know Sister Morphine or Moonlight Mile were and are considered deeper cuts - and they have a different tone than the hits - but in the case of The Stones, they pulled it off because their songwriting chops were incredible at that point ...

With all that said, I think a lot is taken for granted when talking about hit songs and singles ... Writing songs and getting them recorded in a way so they sound good on a radio ( a lost art ) is an art form in itself ..

• Like 3

If there's nothing beyond 'the hits' then I'm not interested. I always find the album cuts more interesting. If nothing else, I get sick of the overplayed 'hits'.

Soundgarden Superunknown is a great example of this. As much as Black Hole Sun is a great song and one of their top 5 most popular, I always skip over it.

Well, I'm far too impressed by Black Hole Sun every time I hear it to ever skip over it, but I totally get the fatigue. After a while that hook can get old.

• Like 1

American Idiot by Green Day and Get A Grip by Aerosmith come to mind for me. The album cuts are so much better. Can’t stand hearing Amazing and Cryin.

Holiday from AM is still great though.

you can play me anything from AM......it's fukkin' fantastic as far as i'm concerned.

Mick

• Like 1