Song By Song Battle: Caress Of Steel vs. 2112

diatribein

I was all set to do a Rush vs. Fly By Night battle because I wanted to get in some earlier albums, but then the 3-way was posted. So I think I'll keep that in the can for later once the 3-way isn't so fresh. The classic albums are a little more difficult due to the few number of tracks. With that in mind, I got a little creative with this Caress Of Steel vs. 2112 match-up. In this battle, every section of an epic is considered a song that can win/lose a battle! Here we go:

01. Bastille Day > 2112: I. Overture

02. I Think I'm Going Bald < 2112: II. The Temples Of Syrinx

03. Lakeside Park > 2112: III: Discovery

04. The Necromancer: I. Into The Darkness < 2112: IV: Presentation

05. The Necromancer: II. Under The Shadow < 2112: V. Oracle: The Dream

06. The Necromancer: III. Return Of The Prince < 2112: VI. Soliloquy

07. The Fountain of Lamneth: I. In The Valley < 2112: VII. Grand Finale

08. The Fountain of Lamneth: II. Didacts And Narpets < A Passage to Bangkok

09. The Fountain of Lamneth: III. No One At The Bridge < The Twilight Zone

10. The Fountain of Lamneth: IV. Panacea < Lessons

11. The Fountain of Lamneth: V. Bacchus Plateau < Tears

12. The Fountain of Lamneth: VI. The Fountain < Something For Nothing

10 - 2 for 2112. My results are really boring since I do not like anything on Caress Of Steel other than my two winners. One thing that lines up nicely though is that my favourite from Caress does battle with my least favourite part of 2112. I don't actually like The Twilight Zone, Lessons, or Tears, but almost anything trounces any part of The Fountain of Lamneth for me. Sorry Caress Of Steel lovers, this is not the kind of RUSH music I am into. The closest battle was #1 for me. I do like Overture despite it being an instrumental and Bastille Day isn't my favourite from Caress Of Steel, but in the end I still feel like it is a little better.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

01. Bastille Day > 2112: I. Overture (Holy hell this is going to be hard)

03. Lakeside Park > 2112: III: Discovery

04. The Necromancer: I. Into The Darkness < 2112: IV: Presentation (WHY?!? I shouldn’t have to choose!)

05. The Necromancer: II. Under The Shadow > 2112: V. Oracle: The Dream ( I hate you, Diatribe!)

06. The Necromancer: III. Return Of The Prince < 2112: VI. Soliloquy (Even more now)

07. The Fountain of Lamneth: I. In The Valley > 2112: VII. Grand Finale

09. The Fountain of Lamneth: III. No One At The Bridge > The Twilight Zone

10. The Fountain of Lamneth: IV. Panacea < Lessons

11. The Fountain of Lamneth: V. Bacchus Plateau > Tears

12. The Fountain of Lamneth: VI. The Fountain < Something For Nothing (this is like Sophie’s choice)

6-6 tie, though I enjoy CoS more as an album, this format really helped 2112.

• Like 1

Bastille Day > 2112: I. Overture Tough call, but I side with the complete song. Both are excellent.

I Think I'm Going Bald < 2112: II. The Temples Of Syrinx Easy. Temples is great and Bald is merely okay.

Lakeside Park < 2112: III: Discovery Not a fan of Lakeside, even though Discovery would lose against most other tracks here.

The Necromancer: I. Into The Darkness > 2112: IV. Presentation I like the build in the former more, though it never gets 'there.'

The Necromancer: II. Under The Shadow > 2112: V. Oracle: The Dream No contest. Shadow shreds.

The Necromancer: III. Return Of The Prince < 2112: VI. Soliloquy I like both, but Soliloquy finishes better.

The Fountain of Lamneth: I. In The Valley > 2112: VII. Grand Finale The beginning of Fountain wins, but I do like Finale's chaos.

The Fountain of Lamneth: II. Didacts And Narpets < A Passage to Bangkok Love the chaos in Didacts but Passage is the winner.

The Fountain of Lamneth: III. No One At The Bridge > The Twilight Zone Easy. I really like Twilight, but No One is a huge favorite.

The Fountain of Lamneth: IV. Panacea < Lessons Lessons is an okay rocker, but Panacea is boring. Easy win.

The Fountain of Lamneth: V. Bacchus Plateau > Tears Bacchus is merely okay, but Tears is boring.

The Fountain of Lamneth: VI. The Fountain < Something For Nothing Something is just too good against this also good challenge.

An unexpected result with a 6-6 tie and some songs I love didn't win. I expected Caress to win here.

Edited by Mosher

01. Bastille Day < 2112: I. Overture (very close)

03. Lakeside Park < 2112: III: Discovery

04. The Necromancer: I. Into The Darkness < 2112: IV: Presentation

05. The Necromancer: II. Under The Shadow > 2112: V. Oracle: The Dream

06. The Necromancer: III. Return Of The Prince > 2112: VI. Soliloquy

07. The Fountain of Lamneth: I. In The Valley < 2112: VII. Grand Finale

09. The Fountain of Lamneth: III. No One At The Bridge > The Twilight Zone

10. The Fountain of Lamneth: IV. Panacea > Lessons

11. The Fountain of Lamneth: V. Bacchus Plateau > Tears

12. The Fountain of Lamneth: VI. The Fountain < Something For Nothing

7:5 for 2112.