RIP Richard Harrison, 1941-2018

pjbear05

Richard Harrison, better known as "The Old Man" from the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop and History Channel show Pawn Stars, passed away this weekend at 77, ending his battle with Parkinson's Disease.

RIP :(

• Like 3

He was the best character on that show. I realize much of it was scripted, but he always came off as completely genuine. R.I.P.
  • Like 2

He was the best character on that show. I realize much of it was scripted, but he always came off as completely genuine. R.I.P.

Yeah, I don't think they scripted a lot of his stuff. I watched the show for a few seasons but it didn't take long for the format to get old though. People did bring in some interesting stuff. The old man was always enjoyable.

RIP

Edited by J2112YYZ

Is he really dead? Maybe they should call in an expert on death.

That's always best in these situations. Authenticity of the death is of the utmost importance here.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I wasn't too familiar with the show,but I know my Mom tuned in all the time, and she would always tell me about Richard, esp his love for classic cars ..

RIP Richard

This is great:

With only $5,000, in April 1981, Harrison and his wife and three sons moved to Las Vegas, Nevada, where he and his son Rick opened Gold & Silver Coin Shop in a 300 square foot shop at 1501 Las Vegas Boulevard. In 1986, he relocated the business to a larger building at 413 Fremont Street. In 1987, he obtained a license to buy and sell second-hand goods.

• Like 1

I wasn't too familiar with the show,but I know my Mom tuned in all the time, and she would always tell me about Richard, esp his love for classic cars ..

RIP Richard

This is great:

With only $5,000, in April 1981, Harrison and his wife and three sons moved to Las Vegas, Nevada, where he and his son Rick opened Gold & Silver Coin Shop in a 300 square foot shop at 1501 Las Vegas Boulevard. In 1986, he relocated the business to a larger building at 413 Fremont Street. In 1987, he obtained a license to buy and sell second-hand goods.

When the "History" channel came calling, I bet that was the biggest thing to ever happen to that shop.

• Like 3

The shop is a total tourist trap. The entire front half is all souvenirs. When you get to where the actual merchandise is, it's all typical pawn shop worthless crap.

Sorry the Old Man is dead, but the show was a total fraud.

The shop is a total tourist trap. The entire front half is all souvenirs. When you get to where the actual merchandise is, it's all typical pawn shop worthless crap.

Sorry the Old Man is dead, but the show was a total fraud.

I agree. But you know, Rick Harrison (and frighteningly, Chumlee a bit :P :P ) have a natural demeanor on camera that can't be bought, and that draws in the viewers. I can't tell you how many copycat pawn shows "Pawn Stars" inspired. Cajun Pawn Stars. Nashville Pawn. Hardcore Pawn, etc. etc. etc. ( :LOL: ok, when my elderly dad comes he likes these shows a lot.) I don't know if any of them are around today because the shop owners just were not interesting. Rick is awesome at having a sorrowful look on his face as he tells you he can only pay wholesale for Jimi Hendrix's guitar or whatever and I think a lot of people connect with that.

• Like 1

RIP Richard

This is great:

When the "History" channel came calling, I bet that was the biggest thing to ever happen to that shop.

true but a Vegas pawn shop would always do well in that town. With the show, that just allowed them to get more notoriety and pricier items. Rick probably already has his contacts for pricier items and they likely never hit the floor before being sold.

Rick lost his ass on Vic Flick's strat when he took it to auction which was....interesting.

Edited by HemiBeers

RIP Richard

This is great:

true but a Vegas pawn shop would always do well in that town. With the show, that just allowed them to get more notoriety and pricier items. Rick probably already has his contacts for pricier items and they likely never hit the floor before being sold.

Rick lost his ass on Vic Flick's strat when he took it to auction which was....interesting.

The show itself was completely fake. They were well known for flagging down people off the street and asking if they wanted to be on the show. There's no way in hell if you own a guitar that you know was owned by Les Paul that you are going to a pawn shop instead of a guitar shop. There were items on that show that later appeared on American Pickers. It was fun to watch but don't think for a minute it was real.

• Like 1

RIP Richard

This is great:

The show itself was completely fake. They were well known for flagging down people off the street and asking if they wanted to be on the show. There's no way in hell if you own a guitar that you know was owned by Les Paul that you are going to a pawn shop instead of a guitar shop. There were items on that show that later appeared on American Pickers. It was fun to watch but don't think for a minute it was real.

I found it interesting or even humorous that no matter the item, they always had an expert they could call and would show up to evaluate the authenticity or worth of something.

RIP Richard

This is great:

I found it interesting or even humorous that no matter the item, they always had an expert they could call and would show up to evaluate the authenticity or worth of something.

They actually did have experts for things like that, it just wasn't those people that were on the show.

RIP Richard

This is great:

They actually did have experts for things like that, it just wasn't those people that were on the show.

She is my favorite part of the show when she is on it. She is smokin' hot and so damn smart!