METAL ALLEGIANCE's 'Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty' To Feature Members Of OVERKILL, NIGHTWISH, ACCEPT, Others

treeduck

METAL ALLEGIANCE — with its four core members: David Ellefson (MEGADETH), Alex Skolnick (TESTAMENT), Mike Portnoy (THE WINERY DOGS, ex-DREAM THEATER) and Mark Menghi — began as a celebration of heavy metal, powered by the almost tribal bond shared between the extreme music community's most revered trailblazers, armed with a list of contributors onstage (and off) that read like a Wikipedia entry on the genre itself.

The band will release its sophomore album, "Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty", on September 7 via Nuclear Blast Entertainment. The thrash-worshiping disc merges old-school legends with the modern metallers of the scene to produce groove-driven, adrenaline-soaked anthems while tackling the frustrating state of the world.

Guest musicians on "Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty" include Trevor Strnad (THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER), John Bush (ARMORED SAINT), Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth (OVERKILL), Mark Tornillo (ACCEPT), Max Cavalera (SOULFLY), Floor Jansen (NIGHTWISH) and Johan Hegg (AMON). The album also marks the return of Mark Oseguesda (DEATH ANGEL) and Troy Sanders (MASTODON).

The official video for the first single from the disc, "Mother Of Sin", featuring Ellsworth, can be seen below.

"Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty" was produced by Menghi and Skolnick while Mark Lewis of MRL Studios handled the mixing and mastering. The cover artwork was created by renowned artist Marcelo Vasco (SLAYER, MACHINE HEAD, SOULFLY, HATEBREED) and Rafael Tavares.

"Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty" track listing:

01. The Accuser (feat. Trevor Strnad)

02. Bound By Silence (feat. John Bush)

03. Mother Of Sin (feat. Bobby Blitz)

04. Terminal Illusion (feat. Mark Tornillo)

05. King With A Paper Crown (feat. Johan Hegg)

06. Voodoo Of The Godsend (feat. Max Cavalera)

07. Liars & Thieves (feat. Troy Sanders)

08. Impulse Control (feat. Mark Osegueda)

09. Power Drunk Majesty (Part I) (feat. Mark Osegueda)

10. Power Drunk Majesty (Part II) (feat. Floor Jansen)

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/metalallegiancepowerdrunkcd.jpg

I love Floor. May be interested but I found the last album underwhelming (even with my beloved Cristina Scabbia).

I love Floor. May be interested but I found the last album underwhelming (even with my beloved Cristina Scabbia).

That's because you're a Wimp Rocker! You should get into Loverboy they'd suit you!

That's because you're a Wimp Rocker! You should get into Loverboy they'd suit you!

I like what I like haha

I like what I like haha

Yeah but do you really? Maybe you only think you like what you like??

METAL ALLEGIANCE — with its four core members: David Ellefson (MEGADETH), Alex Skolnick (TESTAMENT), Mike Portnoy (THE WINERY DOGS, ex-DREAM THEATER) and Mark Menghi — began as a celebration of heavy metal, powered by the almost tribal bond shared between the extreme music community's most revered trailblazers, armed with a list of contributors onstage (and off) that read like a Wikipedia entry on the genre itself.

The band will release its sophomore album, "Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty", on September 7 via Nuclear Blast Entertainment. The thrash-worshiping disc merges old-school legends with the modern metallers of the scene to produce groove-driven, adrenaline-soaked anthems while tackling the frustrating state of the world.

Guest musicians on "Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty" include Trevor Strnad (THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER), John Bush (ARMORED SAINT), Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth (OVERKILL), Mark Tornillo (ACCEPT), Max Cavalera (SOULFLY), Floor Jansen (NIGHTWISH) and Johan Hegg (AMON). The album also marks the return of Mark Oseguesda (DEATH ANGEL) and Troy Sanders (MASTODON).

The official video for the first single from the disc, "Mother Of Sin", featuring Ellsworth, can be seen below.

"Volume II - Power Drunk Majesty" was produced by Menghi and Skolnick while Mark Lewis of MRL Studios handled the mixing and mastering. The cover artwork was created by renowned artist Marcelo Vasco (SLAYER, MACHINE HEAD, SOULFLY, HATEBREED) and Rafael Tavares.

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/metalallegiancepowerdrunkcd.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=63&v=sxDy11uRxNc

This reads like the liner notes to the first Spinal Tap album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=63&v=sxDy11uRxNc

This reads like the liner notes to the first Spinal Tap album.

It's actually a combination of these three:

il_570xN.1126325560_a26m.jpg?version=0

il_570xN.1126325326_otix.jpg

il_570xN.1172927845_p98n.jpg

• Like 1

As the most metal person on this site, I look forward to this. The first album was pretty good.

The most metal person?? That's me bro! :P

Damned Cylons....

• Like 2

I like what I like haha

Yeah but do you really? Maybe you only think you like what you like??

I like what I like. Simple as lol

I would think that a person into metal would be looking forward more to new ones from Acid Force and Anthem than this tripe

I've never heard of those two bands before. Why is this tripe? It's just friends doing some cool stuff who normally don't work together.

I would think that a person into metal would be looking forward more to new ones from Acid Force and Anthem than this tripe

I've never heard of those two bands before. Why is this tripe? It's just friends doing some cool stuff who normally don't work together.

Exactly. No one forces anyone to buy it haha

Gave a couple songs from Acid Force a listen. Sounds like standard run of the mill thrash. Don't need to hear a new band copy and paste an old sound. Especially when thrash metal vets like Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament and Overkill are all still releasing top notch material.
  • Like 1

Gave a couple songs from Acid Force a listen. Sounds like standard run of the mill thrash. Don't need to hear a new band copy and paste an old sound. Especially when thrash metal vets like Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament and Overkill are all still releasing top notch material.

Well thats put me off!

I enjoyed the latest Testament album and the two Overkill albums I have played really impressed me. Not sure what they are but I'd know them from their covers.

There's a comfort zone some metal fans have with older bands, and with that, comes the unfortunate rejection of newer, better ( IMHO ) bands

Newer bands are at the very least, worthwhile to support

I grew up with and knew of Overkill from day one, and they are not, and have never been, a top notch band

Metal a very personal thing, I suppose

But one thing it should never be is tired

Edited by Lucas

There's a comfort zone some metal fans have with older bands, and with that, comes the unfortunate rejection of newer, better ( IMHO ) bands

I grew up with and knew of Overkill from day one, and they are not, and have never been, a top notch band

I think you need to listen to the newer albums since 2010, they've really upped their game!

You're accusing the wrong crowd here...we listen to a lot of modern music, and I am not drawn to bands than sound like carbon copies of the past.

Also the key point to remember in your post is "IMHO".

• Like 1

I think you need to listen to the newer albums since 2010, they've really upped their game!

Fair enough .. I will do that

And if I may... Acid Force has an EP and one full album ... How will a band like that ever be able to mature into something the likes of what they are being compared to here ??

Overkill, for example, has been around for almost 40 years .. and only now they are reaching their peak ?? .. So we're putting a Slovakian bunch or=f kids up against bands that have been around for 40 years, and disregarding them as cut-and-paste or unoriginal ??

In my household, what separates metal fans from the rest is the dedication and the support ..

New bands must be supported and appreciated for them the grown into who has come before them

For christ's sake, The Rolling Stones and Beatles were cover bands whose first albums were about as derivative and cut-and-paste as the come

Fair enough .. I will do that

And if I may... Acid Force has an EP and one full album ... How will a band like that ever be able to mature into something the likes of what they are being compared to here ??

Overkill, for example, has been around for almost 40 years .. and only now they are reaching their peak ?? .. So we're putting a Slovakian bunch or=f kids up against bands that have been around for 40 years, and disregarding them as cut-and-paste or unoriginal ??

In my household, what separates metal fans from the rest is the dedication and the support ..

New bands must be supported and appreciated for them the grown into who has come before them

For christ's sake, The Rolling Stones and Beatles were cover bands whose first albums were about as derivative and cut-and-paste as the come

I wasn't even a fan until 2010 when I bought the Ironbound album on a whim. I like a lot of their early stuff but yeah the last four albums are their best, they're tighter, heavier, have more energy, more bite, they kick more ass!

Edited by treeduck

None of those older bands I mentioned are tired at all. What is tired is a new band just copying an old sound. It's unoriginal and completely uninspiring. The one song from Acid Force I listened to had an intro which sounded like something Testament would do. Only nowhere near the level of musicianship. It's a nice tribute like Gretta Van Fleet is for Zeppelin. But if I want to listen to Testament then I will just put them on and hear the real thing and not some knockoff of them.

If you think I don't support newer bands then you obviously don't pay much attention to what I talk about on this forum. I'm all for supporting new bands if they bring something good or original to the table but I'm not going to support them just because they're new.

None of those older bands I mentioned are tired at all. What is tired is a new band just copying an old sound. It's unoriginal and completely uninspiring. The one song from Acid Force I listened to had an intro which sounded like something Testament would do. Only nowhere near the level of musicianship. It's a nice tribute like Gretta Van Fleet is for Zeppelin. But if I want to listen to Testament then I will just put them on and hear the real thing and not some knockoff of them.

If you think I don't support newer bands then you obviously don't pay much attention to what I talk about on this forum. I'm all for supporting new bands if they bring something good or original to the table but I'm not going to support them just because they're new.

The "newer" thrash bands I like are Havok, Vektor, Warbringer, Toxic Holocaust and Dust Bolt.

Funny thing is, I hear no Testament in Acid Force

To me, they are a refreshing combination of Nuclear Assault, The UK Subs and the universal Motorhead influence

Metal is more of an attitude to me anyway .. Acid Force has an edge and comes from a place very different than bands like Dream Theater or Nightwish ... not to say that there is anything better or worse about any of it ... but while some bands have expanded and done new things doesn;t take away from the bands who still adhere to the basics in my book ..

I'm sure there were fans of Muddy Waters who said the exact same thing about The Rolling Stones circa 1964

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1