OxyContin Is No Longer Promoted To Doctors

Principled Man

Purdue Pharma, the company that manufactures the highly addictive painkiller OxyContin, laid off its entire sales force Tuesday. The company is no longer promoting OxyContin to doctors, although they will still manufacture the drug. Purdue laid off half of its sales force in February, and has now laid off the other half.

It will be very interesting to see how this affects the OxyContin problem. Will doctors still order it, or will they stop?

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/xwm3zk/purdue-pharma-company-behind-oxycontin-just-laid-off-its-entire-sales-team?utm_source=vicenewsfb

• Like 2

There will ALWAYS be people who will find a way to fill the needs of the folks who are addicted, unfortunately.

lOqHQ2p.gif

Purdue Pharma, the company that manufactures the highly addictive painkiller OxyContin, laid off its entire sales force Tuesday. The company is no longer promoting OxyContin to doctors, although they will still manufacture the drug. Purdue laid off half of its sales force in February, and has now laid off the other half.

It will be very interesting to see how this affects the OxyContin problem. Will doctors still order it, or will they stop?

https://news.vice.co...urce=vicenewsfb

I guess it depends on the training and flexibility of the doctor?? Our family found out the hard way that some doctors are so set in their ways and beliefs that they are not open to much change. Sometimes it's older doctors but I have run into this in a younger doctor as well. Other doctors are kind of more life long learners and are open to change; if you have a question about something that's a little different they are interested instead of threatened.

I hope for the sake of those who have opiate problems, or who would have them in the future, that Oxycontin and related meds are gone. I know they help with pain but there are alternatives to try; it's a longer process but better I think. We have been going through this with my dad, who used to wrestle and has bad shoulder problems. Opiates are such a problem in Pennsylvania. :( A friend of my daughter's passed away this spring from an overdose; he was only in his 20's; another friend's son as well and he was only 19. They were both great kids and I miss them.

• Like 2

https://news.vice.co...urce=vicenewsfb

this personally affected me as my ex died in her sleep a few years ago after many years of addiction. She had oxy, xanax and several other meds in her system...enough to take out a horse. When cleaning out her house we found 4 months of pre-filled out prescriptions for Oxy. from her 'doctor'. She went through rehab a few times and this quack had to know she had this history and still gave her the crap. We considered doing a malpractice suit, but didn't want to go through the pain and drama all over.

I'm glad to see the backlash is starting make an effect on the manufacturers. I hope they face the same future and fines as the Tobacco companies.

• Like 2

Maybe 10 years ago I had a tooth extracted and the Dentist gave me a prescription for 30 oxycodone. I just had a root canal last month and the Endodontis gave me three Advils.

The times they are a changin'

Good

• Like 4