Jump to content


The language Nazi... These words are NOT verbs.... yet

verb

  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 77847 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostHuge Ackman, on 18 June 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 18 June 2018 - 07:51 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 18 June 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 18 June 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

View PostHuge Ackman, on 18 June 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

View PostHuge Ackman, on 18 June 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 18 June 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

My pet peeve is "impactful."  I seem to hear it all over these days and I don't even know if it's a real word.  Why not just say "had a great impact" and leave it?  (I know, Twitter, word counts, blah blah blah.  It doesn't mean I have to like it.). :)

Appreciative.... argh!  Same thing as "impactful".  Add a suffix to the word to create a new nonsensical spin on an already functional word. It's just plain lazy, if you ask me.  You get to use the one word instead of 3 or 4...

In the sporting world... Physicality and athleticism... made-up words to reduce a 3 or 4 word idea to a single fabricated "word".

NFL announcers, and the players as well, just butcher the English language.  

They play aggressive (not aggressively).  They play physical (not physically).  Adverbs have no place in NFL talk..... :laughing guy:
:goodone: Yes!  That is so true. I have found myself wanting to holler " use LY" at the tv!
Another per peeve...They always use resiliency when they mean resilience.

Irregardless....
John Smoltz's favorite word.

Sponsored Post

#22 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 11851 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostHuge Ackman, on 18 June 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

Irregardless....


I would rather DIE than utter that non-word!   :tsk: :no: :lol:

#23 Chronos

Chronos

    Up the irons, down the Lagavulin!

  • Members *
  • 3135 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:On the edge, where the winds of limbo roar

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:24 PM

My latest pet peeve is when the verb "ask" is used as a noun.

E.g., "That's a really big ask."

PLEASE just say "request" instead.

#24 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32387 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:31 AM

View PostHuge Ackman, on 18 June 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

My very most hated language trend these days is the creation of new meaning for existing words through their mis-use. At the top of the list for me is "impact" but there are many more.  Do any of you feel the same way?  Add to the list if you like...Or correct me if you think I'm wrong...

NOT verbs:
Impact
Trend
Partner
Gift
.
.
.
.

Now, I realize that I may be wrong about this, at least if/when the very most recent dictionary is released. These often mis-used words may simply get recognized for their incorrect usage so my old-school interpretation of their meaning may be obsolete. However, they'll always get my dander up when mis-used according to my education...

One more that is often mis-used, in my opinion, is "grow" when it refers to an inanimate thing, like a business.  You can't "....grow your business."  You may ".... help your business to grow.:

That is all...

“Impact” sounds a bit awkward as a verb (imho) but it can be one for sure.
http://www.dictionar...owse/impact?s=t

“Amazeballs” sounds dumb as hell as someone I think already mentioned.

Additionally, the way “skill set” is overused by sports announcers/analysts is as annoying to me as valley girl lingo was in the 80s.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 19 June 2018 - 04:31 AM.


#25 Fridge

Fridge

    The Freezable Fridge™

  • Members *
  • 10449 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aberdeenshire, Scotland
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:27 AM

My bad....say that in my presence and you will need to clean your teeth by sticking a toothbrush up your arse.

"sorry" or "my apologies" is quite sufficient.

#26 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 671 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Back in The Homeland... Go, PACK, GO! On Wisconsin!
  • Interests:Football, hockey, cycling, golf, music

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 19 June 2018 - 04:31 AM, said:

View PostHuge Ackman, on 18 June 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

My very most hated language trend these days is the creation of new meaning for existing words through their mis-use. At the top of the list for me is "impact" but there are many more.  Do any of you feel the same way?  Add to the list if you like...Or correct me if you think I'm wrong...

NOT verbs:
Impact
Trend
Partner
Gift
.
.
.
.

Now, I realize that I may be wrong about this, at least if/when the very most recent dictionary is released. These often mis-used words may simply get recognized for their incorrect usage so my old-school interpretation of their meaning may be obsolete. However, they'll always get my dander up when mis-used according to my education...

One more that is often mis-used, in my opinion, is "grow" when it refers to an inanimate thing, like a business.  You can't "....grow your business."  You may ".... help your business to grow.:

That is all...

“Impact” sounds a bit awkward as a verb (imho) but it can be one for sure.
http://www.dictionar...owse/impact?s=t

“Amazeballs” sounds dumb as hell as someone I think already mentioned.

Additionally, the way “skill set” is overused by sports announcers/analysts is as annoying to me as valley girl lingo was in the 80s.

By that dictionary definition, I stand corrected but "IMPACT" as a verb will just never sound right to me....

#27 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

View PostFridge, on 18 June 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

I do tend to agree with you....I hate to see our elegant and complex language misused and even abused on occasion..

A pet hate of mine is the gross misapplication of the word "awesome".

Black Holes are awesome, The Grand Canyon is awesome, what you had for breakfast is not.
Awesome Post!

#28 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

stupidest phrase ever:

it is what it is.

A fart would have more expression than that.

#29 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 11851 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:32 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 19 June 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

stupidest phrase ever:

it is what it is.


No, the stupidest phrase ever is:   It is what it is and whatever


;) ;)

Edited by Principled Man, 20 June 2018 - 05:32 AM.


#30 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 671 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Back in The Homeland... Go, PACK, GO! On Wisconsin!
  • Interests:Football, hockey, cycling, golf, music

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 20 June 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 19 June 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

stupidest phrase ever:

it is what it is.


No, the stupidest phrase ever is:   It is what it is and whatever


;) ;)

Posted Image

#31 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 64496 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 20 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

View PostHuge Ackman, on 18 June 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

NOT verbs:
Impact
Trend
Partner
Gift

While I generally dislike the verbing of nouns :P , those four are certainly acceptable when used as verbs, and have been for quite some time.  

The sports world is particularly bad in using nouns as verbs.  They also tend to ignore the past participle, whose use seems to have all but disappeared  (Musta saw... , Coulda went...,  Shoulda knew... ).

Edited by goose, 20 June 2018 - 03:14 PM.


#32 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

Anyone else noticing lazy/slurred 's' or 'st'-words? ie: shtreet instead of street, frushtrated instead of frustrated. They've been steadily creeping into radio and tv, and it's f***ing maddening once you notish I mean notice it.
Kinda like a buzz-word but more of a buzz-pronunciation. Barf.

#33 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 64496 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 03 July 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Anyone else noticing lazy/slurred 's' or 'st'-words? ie: shtreet instead of street, frushtrated instead of frustrated. They've been steadily creeping into radio and tv, and it's f***ing maddening once you notish I mean notice it.
Kinda like a buzz-word but more of a buzz-pronunciation. Barf.
Female anchors/commentators use it a lot.  I shupposhe it doesh shound more shophishticated...

Posted Image

#34 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6687 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

"Piece" as used by managers who constantly think in terms of pie charts.

#35 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2546 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 03 July 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Anyone else noticing lazy/slurred 's' or 'st'-words? ie: shtreet instead of street, frushtrated instead of frustrated. They've been steadily creeping into radio and tv, and it's f***ing maddening once you notish I mean notice it.
Kinda like a buzz-word but more of a buzz-pronunciation. Barf.
Nah, it ain't lazy or slurred, the speaker is probably half in the bag.

#36 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

View Postgoose, on 03 July 2018 - 05:16 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 03 July 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Anyone else noticing lazy/slurred 's' or 'st'-words? ie: shtreet instead of street, frushtrated instead of frustrated. They've been steadily creeping into radio and tv, and it's f***ing maddening once you notish I mean notice it.
Kinda like a buzz-word but more of a buzz-pronunciation. Barf.
Female anchors/commentators use it a lot.  I shupposhe it doesh shound more shophishticated...

Posted Image

Shoundsh like they're having a shtroke!

#37 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

View PostHuge Ackman, on 20 June 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostPrincipled Man, on 20 June 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 19 June 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

stupidest phrase ever:

it is what it is.


No, the stupidest phrase ever is:   It is what it is and whatever


;) ;)

Posted Image
thank goodness for the eye candy to distract us from the stupid lyrics.

#38 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4686 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

Perhaps digressing, but these advice phrases always bug me.

"follow you passion"

ok my passion is to sit in my underwear and smoke weed all day and eat cheetos. So how does that help with maintaining a living?

"find your soulmate"

Found her. Divorced 4 years later. f**k that.

People that come up with these fruity advice buzz phrases need to be kicked hard.

Edited by HemiBeers, 06 July 2018 - 06:12 PM.


#39 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 64496 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 06 July 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Perhaps digressing, but these advice phrases always bug me.

"follow you passion"

ok my passion is to sit in my underwear and smoke weed all day and eat cheetos. So how does that help with maintaining a living?

"find your soulmate"

Found her. Divorced 4 years later. f**k that.

People that come up with these fruity advice buzz phrases need to be kicked hard.
It's your attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude.

:)

#40 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 77847 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:22 AM

View Postgoose, on 07 July 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 06 July 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Perhaps digressing, but these advice phrases always bug me.

"follow you passion"

ok my passion is to sit in my underwear and smoke weed all day and eat cheetos. So how does that help with maintaining a living?

"find your soulmate"

Found her. Divorced 4 years later. f**k that.

People that come up with these fruity advice buzz phrases need to be kicked hard.
It's your attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude.

:)
Be the change you want to see.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users