Victor vs. My Favorite Headache: Which one has the best song?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

Yeah Victor just a notch or two off being a truly great album, just gave Don't Care a good blast and all the potential there to see in that track really, some really different edgy stuff in the album as opposed to Ged's which isnt groundbreaking but just beautifully composed rock music

Gotta say it, sounds awful coz the guy puts in a solid performance but one of the big things that stop Alex's effort from reaching the absolute heights is the singer, his voice just never did it for me

Sponsored Post

#22 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4297 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:57 PM

View Postlifeson90, on 24 June 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Yeah Victor just a notch or two off being a truly great album, just gave Don't Care a good blast and all the potential there to see in that track really, some really different edgy stuff in the album as opposed to Ged's which isnt groundbreaking but just beautifully composed rock music

Gotta say it, sounds awful coz the guy puts in a solid performance but one of the big things that stop Alex's effort from reaching the absolute heights is the singer, his voice just never did it for me

Don't Care is my least favorite song from that album although it does fit the overall theme.

#23 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 82782 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostBabycat, on 13 June 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

My Favorite Headache - Home On The Strange
Victor - Shut Up Shuttin' Up

Like Mosher, I realised I didn't answer the question either. From his post:

there are several songs on MFH that I like better than anything on Victor, but I do like the instrumentals on Victor a lot.

#24 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

In the certainty of no more studio Rush I been listening to Victor a lot recently, partly as never gave it the same scientific scrutiny as with Rush albums or even MFH - you know, giving attention to all the little background details etc, and i wondered why i never got round to this attitude

Think i discovered why so far as i'm personally concerned after making a Victor playlist leaving out Shut up Shuttin Up

The song's ok is Al doing his wackier thing and I'm not knocking it but, the album got much more flow now imo, just seems a normal extremely high-quality almost Rush-style piece of work, without being interrupted by SUSU

Strip and go Naked mann what a great instrumental

C'mon Al if you stuck for something to do anytime knock out another solo effort man, we're all still here with our hands out gagging for it

Edited by lifeson90, 04 September 2018 - 01:59 PM.

#25 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

Sending out A Warning oh yeahh

Edited by lifeson90, 07 September 2018 - 09:34 PM.

#26 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:21 PM

"Grace to Grace" is better than 90% of the songs on Rush's albums in the 1990s.

#27 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1823 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

Even with Victor's sporadic nature I would still take this over MFH. Victor really hits the mark with a few fantastic standout songs, as it does with the stinkers. Still this is preferable to the safe MFH for me.

#28 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:02 PM

View Postbootruss, on 13 June 2018 - 03:08 AM, said:

Headache.. More complete songs, some have great melodys, and better crafted.

This thread is giving me a headache.

Both albums suck.

#29 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32655 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:03 PM

I'd rather listen to "Vapor Trails!"  LOL!

#30 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:18 AM

At The End probably standout track for me on Victor, some of the guitars very Rush, Mystic Rhythms-like, even. really appreciating this album as of late, didnt too too much for me till now

#31 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4297 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:06 PM

View Postlifeson90, on 29 September 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

At The End probably standout track for me on Victor, some of the guitars very Rush, Mystic Rhythms-like, even. really appreciating this album as of late, didnt too too much for me till now

Great to hear you're discovering it.  Always loved both of those solo albums.

#32 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

Walking the streets in the dark last night the title track of Victor came on, i usually skip it tbh and not gave a listen for many years but really appreciated it walking in the dark. Cmon Al chuck out another solo album man - i mean whatever you doing if happy then so are we, but we'll take another solo if you stuck for something to do :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users