Imagine a time...

Saint NIck

As the Monday workday is coming to a close for me, I think what it must've been like for three young musicians named Geddy, Alex and Neil when on this date of June 11th, on a Friday night in 1976, they were preparing to take the stage; in their hometown of Toronto, at Massey Hall. This wouldn't be just another tour stop, this would be the first night of three, with Friday, Saturday & Sunday's performances being recorded for a double live concert album. From opening with Bastille Day to closing with What You're Doing, the musical talents of these three young men was on full display; stars were born those nights, and it was just the beginning of what would become legendary. What would come from this trio would be of SUPERB ABSOLUTE TREMENDOUS MASTERPIECE musicianship. Even better than that would be their friendship; their solid foundation of humbleness, loyalty & morality. '...They have assumed control...'; what a RUSH it would be for all of us; we are so blessed that Geddy, Alex and Neil have had such a major impact on our lives...brought us all together to become more than friends; we're talking Family. In a couple hours from now, I'll be sharing my drumming talents with two friends as we strive for personal / musical goals. Yes, Neil is a major inspiration in my passion for drumming; and my friends know, see & hear that. I'll be listening to the results of that 3 night-stand-recording called ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE on my way home, to practice and back home later tonight. Imagine a time, when it all began...would be changed forevermore !!! Edited by Saint NIck
  • Like 7

The first album I ever bought over 40 years ago and still the one I would keep if I were forced to trash all of my collection but one. Raw and amazing to this day...
  • Like 4

Yeah i had a blast of VT earlier today, first time in a while really, and when the opening of Ceiling Unlimited broke in I had a sudden moment of nostalgia for when those 5 little clips of the album released online before the full album release back in god knows whenever it was, what a great time that was, the new sound was just so exciting and it made me sad today that we'll never experience that feeling again, of getting brand new Rush.

Some of the best moments of my life were as simple as getting my hands on a brand new Rush album, for the exploration to begin. And I know that's the same for everyone here

Is just a huge miss in life. Having those things to look forward to was always enough reason for optimism

• Like 3

Yeah i had a blast of VT earlier today, first time in a while really, and when the opening of Ceiling Unlimited broke in I had a sudden moment of nostalgia for when those 5 little clips of the album released online before the full album release back in god knows whenever it was, what a great time that was, the new sound was just so exciting and it made me sad today that we'll never experience that feeling again, of getting brand new Rush.

Some of the best moments of my life were as simple as getting my hands on a brand new Rush album, for the exploration to begin. And I know that's the same for everyone here

Is just a huge miss in life. Having those things to look forward to was always enough reason for optimism

And yet I can compare listening to decades old Rush albums to visiting lifelong friends. That’s enough reason for optimism too.

• Like 6

As the Monday workday is coming to a close for me, I think what it must've been like for three young musicians named Geddy, Alex and Neil when on this date of June 11th, on a Friday night in 1976, they were preparing to take the stage; in their hometown of Toronto, at Massey Hall. This wouldn't be just another tour stop, this would be the first night of three, with Friday, Saturday & Sunday's performances being recorded for a double live concert album. From opening with Bastille Day to closing with What You're Doing, the musical talents of these three young men was on full display; stars were born those nights, and it was just the beginning of what would become legendary. What would come from this trio would be of SUPERB ABSOLUTE TREMENDOUS MASTERPIECE musicianship. Even better than that would be their friendship; their solid foundation of humbleness, loyalty & morality. '...They have assumed control...'; what a RUSH it would be for all of us; we are so blessed that Geddy, Alex and Neil have had such a major impact on our lives...brought us all together to become more than friends; we're talking Family. In a couple hours from now, I'll be sharing my drumming talents with two friends as we strive for personal / musical goals. Yes, Neil is a major inspiration in my passion for drumming; and my friends know, see & hear that. I'll be listening to the results of that 3 night-stand-recording called ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE on my way home, to practice and back home later tonight. Imagine a time, when it all began...would be changed forevermore !!!

SN, as always, a great post

I didn;t know you played the drums - hope you're having a great time

• Like 2

Vapor Trails was great. Not sure if I ever felt the magnitude of anticipation of waiting for a Rush album as I did for that one and it exceeded expectations. That album is just so timeless for me.

• Like 4

My late brother in law was a stickler for the old school established acts like Stones,Dylan,Zep,etc After i lent him ATWAS back in the early eighties he said about three months later "This shits on Song Remains The Same".He was hooked.To me ATWAS is a landmark live album and is up there with Live at Leeds,Made in Japan,Strangers in the Night,Live and Dangerous,Live Dates,Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.All these albums were made earlyish in each bands career and the spark,inspiration and excitement of playing in a band ,especially after a hit album,is there,a sense of we've made it.I have sensed this when i have played in a band,although i have never had a hit album let alone made one,or made the big time.The band has said in many interviews that after 2112 they could do what they wanted,hence the more atmospheric and proggy AFTK.
  • Like 1