Why is soccer a popular sport everywhere except in America?

Texas King

The rest of the world is full of surrender monkeys, so soccer is perfect sport for them.

In all seriousness, it's the lack of action for me, as well as stupid rules, like yellow card accumulation and offsides. There should be a blue line like hockey, where once the ball has crossed that line first it is onside till cleared by the defense. The substitution rule is stupid as well. Apparently these games are hugely important yet everyone is totally gassed at the end of them because you can only sub 3 people. And the flopping for fouls is pathetic.

• Like 3

Because the US has NFL Football, baseball, basketball and NHL hockey. There's too much competition.

That pretty much sums it up. You left out the part about it being extremely boring to watch though. Too much going back and forth without anything exciting happening.

• Like 2

Because the US has NFL Football, baseball, basketball and NHL hockey. There's too much competition.

That pretty much sums it up. You left out the part about it being extremely boring to watch though. Too much going back and forth without anything exciting happening.

Like hockey.

Any game that can end in a tie is pointless and what's this crap about "stoppage time"? Either there is a time limit or there isn't.

They don't stop the clock they keep it running. So any time lost for injuries etc is added on at the end to the official 90 minutes.

Like hockey.

Die die die!

• Like 1

Any game that can end in a tie is pointless and what's this crap about "stoppage time"? Either there is a time limit or there isn't.

They don't stop the clock they keep it running. So any time lost for injuries etc is added on at the end to the official 90 minutes.

If they stopped the clock, they wouldn't have to add time on at the end. That's just idiotic to run it that way.

If they stopped the clock, they wouldn't have to add time on at the end. That's just idiotic to run it that way.

Well that's how it is.

With maybe the exception of baseball (though it has it's similarities too, just more steps), they're all variations of the same game anyhow. Just how do you want to watch a group of people get some sort of device into a zone-like territory to accumulate points in a particular time-frame, against another group that (ostensibly) are supposed to be protecting that territory? Would you like it on ice, w/ feet, an odd shaped ball, w/ a stick, w/ hands, in a net, between posts? See? All the same game. Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 2

I like football, or, as you call it in North America, soccer. There are some stupid rules, like every sport. But from an emotional standpoint, there's nothing like it. For me, at least. I'm not one to force my tastes onto anybody.
  • Like 2

"As of 2012, thirty percent of American households contain someone playing soccer, a figure second only to baseball."

- wiki

• Like 3

"As of 2012, thirty percent of American households contain someone playing soccer, a figure second only to baseball."

- wiki

Yeah I can imagine that’s partly influenced by mums not wanting their babies (elementary school to junior high age kids) to get hurt playing American football. Not saying they don’t get hurt playing soccer but I think this thought must influence many.

• Like 1

I think that part of the reason why football is so attractive is that in no other sport the underdog has so many chances to win. It's a much more unpredictable sport than basketball for example.

Because it doesn't take much money to play. Even third world countries can get a ball and construct something at both ends of a field to make a goal. Football, baseball and hockey cost money. Basketball, not so much. But then again, out of the major four sports in America, basketball has more global influence because it's cheap to play.
  • Like 3

Because US kids start out player soccer. And they get treated like babies after the game with orange slices and 'everyone gets a trophy'. Then as the grow older, they move on to real sports with real winners and real losers.

I was briefly a board member for our local AYSO league and I can personally tell you there's alot of people involved in youth soccer that are mamby pamby nut jobs.

The damn field is too big. Too many low scoring games. 'Highlights' can be whittled down to 5-10 seconds. Make the field smaller (indoor soccer is much better), allow more contact and you might have something.

Too many drama queen pussies in soccer that act like they got shot just to get cards called on the other guy.

Funny story when my son played his first soccer game at 6. He was in the 4-6 age group that played on a 100 foot field with hockey goals and no goalie. He was big for his age as well. The first period 'kick off' no one was in front of him so he nails the ball into the goal. Pfffft this shit is easy! Then next kick-off the other coach remembered that he did this and puts a little girl 10 feet in front of him. I knew what was coming. He nails the ball and blasts her in the face. Good strategy coach! Little girl was hysterical, but I had to walk away because I was laughing so much. I know I'm a terrible person but it was a great Three Stooges moment.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

I think the game [u.S. football] is more like the game of RUGBY than soccer...

EUXK6cR.gif

- wiki

Yeah I can imagine that’s partly influenced by mums not wanting their babies (elementary school to junior high age kids) to get hurt playing American football. Not saying they don’t get hurt playing soccer but I think this thought must influence many.

Football is also very expensive, hard to coach, and, frankly, too often run by jerks.

Because it doesn't take much money to play. Even third world countries can get a ball and construct something at both ends of a field to make a goal. Football, baseball and hockey cost money. Basketball, not so much. But then again, out of the major four sports in America, basketball has more global influence because it's cheap to play.

Yep. Wad up a few rags and find an open space and you can play soccer. I'm guessing that people who say soccer is boring haven't played much of it. The excitement is in the extended collective effort that it takes to create scoring opportunities, and the many field battles leading up. I personally enjoy the ongoing action of soccer, compared to the extended periods of standing around between plays of baseball and American football. And 3 1/2 to 4 hours for a game is a drag.
  • Like 1

Funny story when my son played his first soccer game at 6. He was in the 4-6 age group that played on a 100 foot field with hockey goals and no goalie. He was big for his age as well. The first period 'kick off' no one was in front of him so he nails the ball into the goal. Pfffft this shit is easy! Then next kick-off the other coach remembered that he did this and puts a little girl 10 feet in front of him. I knew what was coming. He nails the ball and blasts her in the face. Good strategy coach! Little girl was hysterical, but I had to walk away because I was laughing so much. I know I'm a terrible person but it was a great Three Stooges moment.

When my son was 5, his team was in a similar event. They were playing the only team they hadn't beaten that year and time was dwindling. A kid who was in his last year in that age group, and bigger than the rest of them, was "driving" with the ball, when he got close to the goal, who was personed by a girl, he booted the hell out of the ball, it hit her square in the stomach and bounced directly back to him. As she crumbled into a shrieking heap, he calmly went around her and scored the winning goal with ease.

I felt bad for the girl because I'm sure that hurt, but WE WON!. The parents from the other team filed a protest which was denied. They thought the game should have been immediately stopped for an injury.

• Like 1

1. Football (or sawker as you Yanks insist in calling it) is the World game. Only the money men care whether the US gets involved, the rest of us do not give a flying ferk.

2. The footballers rolling around are not soft, they are cheats.

3. There have been 6-6, 5-5, 4-4 drawn games.

4. Baseball is like watching paint dry. NFL is poor man’s rugby. NHL seems built around the fights.

5. 3.2 billion people worldwide watched the 2014 World Cup.

6. Many Baseball games last over 3 hours, some over 4.

7. Baseball’s fan base is mainly old men.

8. Less than 5% of NFL fans have ever been to a game.

• Like 4

The rest of the world is full of surrender monkeys, so soccer is perfect sport for them.

In all seriousness, it's the lack of action for me, as well as stupid rules, like yellow card accumulation and offsides. There should be a blue line like hockey, where once the ball has crossed that line first it is onside till cleared by the defense. The substitution rule is stupid as well. Apparently these games are hugely important yet everyone is totally gassed at the end of them because you can only sub 3 people. And the flopping for fouls is pathetic.

I love what you wrote. Could you imagine line changes in soccer? Go balls out for a couple minutes take a rest for a few then back at it. Those changes alone could add some excitement...

1. Football (or sawker as you Yanks insist in calling it) is the World game. Only the money men care whether the US gets involved, the rest of us do not give a flying ferk.

2. The footballers rolling around are not soft, they are cheats.

3. There have been 6-6, 5-5, 4-4 drawn games.

4. Baseball is like watching paint dry. NFL is poor man’s rugby. NHL seems built around the fights.

5. 3.2 billion people worldwide watched the 2014 World Cup.

6. Many Baseball games last over 3 hours, some over 4.

7. Baseball’s fan base is mainly old men.

8. Less than 5% of NFL fans have ever been to a game.

HEY! F U C K off!!!! ;)
  • Like 1