saw a momma bear with 3 cubs yesterday near my house

copying and pasting from a FB post I made late yesterday:

Wow, just had my biggest bear sighting in the 21+ years I have lived on Pumpkin Lane -- a momma bear with 3 cubs, about 1/10 of a mile from my house. I had gone out for a walk and suddenly, there they were, in the woods right off of Pumpkin Lane, about 50 or 60 yards away from me. I don't think they ever saw me or otherwise knew I was there. They were moving with a purpose, momma bear in the lead with the 3 cubs following in a line, yet not in a panicked or alarmed way. They went down a hill into a densely vegetated ravine. I did not try to follow. So cool. A momma bear and 3 cubs.

• Like 8

Very cool! What kind of bear?

Black bear.

I live in the northwestern corner of South Carolina (the relatively small portion of SC that is mountainous)

Black bears are the only kind of bear around here. I am cool with that. Black bears only are just fine. Don't need no Grizzlies ;)

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 2

Cool. It's a very special thing to see that in person. I saw a momma black bear and two cubs in the wild when I was a kid. Thought it was the coolest thing ever. I still get excited when I see deer in the wild as well. And that's way more common than bears.
  • Like 2

I've seen more wildlife in Massachusetts than I ever did in the mountains of Utah. Last week we had a fox going through my neighbor's garbage, and something had tried to tear into mine. I saw a fishercat crossing the road by the reservoir, and at night you can hear them wailing. Bears, mountain lions, owls,coyotes, and moose have all been spotted within a mile. And in my back yard virtually every day we get rabbits, deer, snakes and turkeys. The little marshy area at the end of my cul-de-sac is filled with snapping turtles. It's awesome. I keep catching the snakes and putting them by my garden to scare off the chipmunks.

I love this place. Only 30 miles from Boston too...

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

I've seen more wildlife in Massachusetts than I ever did in the mountains of Utah. Last week we had a fox going through my neighbor's garbage, and something had tried to tear into mine. I saw a fishercat crossing the road by the reservoir, and at night you can hear them wailing. Bears, mountain lions, owls,coyotes, and moose have all been spotted within a mile. And in my back yard virtually every day we get rabbits, deer, snakes and turkeys. The little marshy area at the end of my cul-de-sac is filled with snapping turtles. It's awesome. I keep catching the snakes and putting them by my garden to scare off the chipmunks.

Fishercat?

• Like 1

Fishercat?

I guess it's actually two words. Fisher cat. Nasty buggers... their cries sound like demons from hell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 1

Fishercat?

I guess it's actually two words. Fisher cat. Nasty buggers... their cries sound like demons from hell.

https://en.m.wikiped.../Fisher_(animal)

Same family as a badger, wolverine, weasel, martin or ferret. Looks kind of like a small wolverine.

• Like 1

Fishercat?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

I'm imagining a cat with a fishing rod, reeling in a catfish. ;)

• Like 1

Very cool! What kind of bear?

Black bear.

I live in the northwestern corner of South Carolina (the relatively small portion of SC that is mountainous)

Black bears are the only kind of bear around here. I am cool with that. Black bears only are just fine. Don't need no Grizzlies ;)

I've been told a Black Bear with a bad attitude can be just as dangerous as a Grizzly, so watch out for them and keep safe!

gjSaNQG.gif

Fishercat?

https://en.m.wikiped.../Fisher_(animal)

I'm imagining a cat with a fishing rod, reeling in a catfish. ;)

cat_goes_fishing_with_a_pole_card-r0f4a81ed817a4d0086e995a8e032658e_xvuat_8byvr_307.jpg
  • Like 1