Bohemian Rhapsody movie - good or bad idea?

toymaker

I love Rush but a movie about them?

It would be dull.

I mean Beyond the Lighted Stage on them was basically a movie, and what an amazing "documentary" that was.

But that was a documentary, not a biopic.

Rush, in its history, just doesn't seem to have enough drama or controversy to make a good biopic. Aside from the tragedies Neil had to endure, there probably isn't much story to tell.

Edited by thesweetscience

From the professional reviews I've read, they didn't like it. From the fans I know who saw it, they said it was great. Maybe don't go thinking it's an accurate depiction but more for it's entertainment value.

This. Its not a great movie. It IS an entertaining movie.

this. it's shot beautifully. The musical montages were awesome. the Actors were just about ALL great.

but as a biopic. it was pretty shit. just generic as all hell.

but it was VERY entertaining.

it's A B- from me.

Mick

• Like 2

I thought it was pretty good but not very good at adhering to the realistic timeline. I kind of wished they gone more into the other guys in the group and not just Freddie, but he was the main focus of the movie. I thought the guy that played Brian May was spot on. It was uncanny.
  • Like 3

What do you think, Queen fans? Can you get excited about actors playing the members of Queen? Is this going to be too much information about Queen? Would you rather there be some mystery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5qOxttDkw

I'd rather it be a fact encrusted documentary with NO 'speculation' or ANYONE ELSE'S colorings. I'd like there to be TRUTH instead of what someone ELSE thinks I want to hear.

I'd like there to be COMPLETE control by the original band members etc. I can't believe how these Hollywood types just say something in a 'certain way' and we just jump onboard their bandwagon[ no pun intended ] and throw our money at 'em....It's all someone elses idea of 'How To Fix History'. Fantasy.

pcG2tzV.gif

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty good but not very good at adhering to the realistic timeline. I kind of wished they gone more into the other guys in the group and not just Freddie, but he was the main focus of the movie. I thought the guy that played Brian May was spot on. It was uncanny.

i know it's about Freddie. but Brian was my fav part of this movie. Scary accurate embodiment.

Mick

• Like 2

It would be dull.

I mean Beyond the Lighted Stage on them was basically a movie, and what an amazing "documentary" that was.

Agreed but there is a big difference between a really personal documentary and the telling of a story of three nice guys who form a rock band and do drugs and stay friends and cause no controversy ever.

That's a typical Canadian soap, right? :-D

Edited by Wil1972

It would be dull.

Agreed but there is a big difference between a really personal documentary and the telling of a story of three nice guys who form a rock band and do drugs and stay friends and cause no controversy ever.

No soap here. We wash with blubber.

• Like 2

Saw it today. Don’t regret seeing it but timeline and events are inaccurate AF. Biggest elephant in the room is We Will Rock You being recorded in 1980. I was born that year and the week Another One Bites The Dust was number 1 ffs. There’s suspension of disbelief and then there’s BS.

Love that Waynes World inside joke in that Bohemian Rhapsody scene with Mike Myers, though. :LOL:

Edited by invisible airwave

The inaccuracies were minimal in comparison to the accuracies imo. Like, sure Fat Bottomed Girls wasn't around when they toured America in 74/75, nor was that their first tour in America. Freddie didn't get the stache till 1980 or so. This list could go on about those smaller things, but focusing on those details misses the point of the movie entirely. This film was made to really get people into the band, and into Freddie's life.

I'd argue few rockstars had a more interesting and tragic story, not to mention one that in the hearts of many fans has a bittersweet triumph of an ending. Sure he died, but he died after spending the last years of his life dedicated to his craft and his band and making some of the finest music of his career (Innuendo anyone?). I believe the doctors gave him till about 87 or so to live maybe a little longer, but Freddie made it all the way to 91 somehow. I know that wasn't in the movie, and stopping at Live Aid was a kind of odd choice (I think it works though), but I wanted emphasize how Freddie's tale may be tragic, but it isn't wholly a tragedy. His legacy is grander than he could've imagined when he first arrived in England.

Anyway, as many have said, the casting and acting was phenomenal! I knew this wasn't the band, but that thought was somewhere in the distant reaches of my subconscious as they portrayed the band members perfectly. I agree Brian was particularly spot on. And Rami Malek as Freddie... I've heard he's got an Oscar nomination. I'm no movie expert, but that had to be one of the best performances I've ever seen on screen. He took my breath away. The movie was perfectly captured everything I love about this band, just to a t. They were a family, a family who made outrageous, convoluted, inspirational, silly, fantastic music. Freddie was a legend, with a sizable ego yes, but incredibly down to earth at heart. I adore this movie. Thank you Brian and Roger for putting it together. A wonderful experience.

• Like 1

I finally saw this flick today! I know it has flaws BUT I LOVED IT!!!!

Saw the trailer for the Elton John flick. EPIC!!!

When are they going to make a BOWIE MOVIE????????

Closest we’ve got so far is Velvet Goldmine.

I hope RM gets and R. You can’t sugar coat Sir Elton’s diva foul mouth and drug habits.

Edited by invisible airwave

Closest we’ve got so far is Velvet Goldmine.

I hope RM gets and R. You can’t sugar coat Sir Elton’s diva foul mouth and drug habits.

It mentioned it was going to be based on a "true fantasy" so it might actually be cleaned up for pg-13.

Can't wait for that Elton flick. Wish they'd found some way to get Elton in the Freddie movie briefly. Those two were always great friends. I'm sure they considered it.

But yeah, just saw Bohemian Rhapsody with my dad last night, my second time seeing it. It does have a number of timeline flaws, and some details were exaggerated for the purposes of the movie, but I don't care when they got the portrayal of Freddie and the band and their story so spot on. Wonderful film! Not everyday someone makes an incredible movie about your favorite musician.

• Like 1

It would be dull.

A Rush movie should focus on the tragedy of Neil Peart's loss and how friendship and musical unity can help one re-focus on life and purpose. People here rag on Neil Peart endlessly, but the man persevered.

• Like 6

It would be dull.

A Rush movie should focus on the tragedy of Neil Peart's loss and how friendship and musical unity can help one re-focus on life and purpose. People here rag on Neil Peart endlessly, but the man persevered.

True that.
  • Like 1

Stellar, especially the Live Aid part.

Oh man yeah. Saw it for the 2nd time a couple of weeks ago. It was Mrs. B’s first time seeing a movie twice in the theater but she wanted to go again so we did. The first time we saw it I said to her that I think the Live Aid part is almost identical to the original show. We youtube’d it later and found it to be just as I thought.

For me, the casting was pretty accurate. I like Queen but I’m no fan boy...but I’m happily surprised by how good this movie was.

• Like 2

Stellar, especially the Live Aid part.

Oh man yeah. Saw it for the 2nd time a couple of weeks ago. It was Mrs. B’s first time seeing a movie twice in the theater but she wanted to go again so we did. The first time we saw it I said to her that I think the Live Aid part is almost identical to the original show. We youtube’d it later and found it to be just as I thought.

For me, the casting was pretty accurate. I like Queen but I’m no fan boy...but I’m happily surprised by how good this movie was.

They really handled the Queen/Freddie story well, even in their moving bits around chronologically to sustain the narrative. As other have noted, the guy that portrayed Brian was spot on.
  • Like 3

We finally went to see this tonight before it left the big screen. I loved it! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'll say this, though- Acting 10+/10 Script- 2/10.

What a corny script! It jumped from career highlight to highlight and melodrama to melodrama without much of a normal story but the acting and music were so good I loved it anyway. Live Aid left me in tears both times; I loved the people in the bar raising their hands and singing along since I remember watching it with a friend and doing that! :).

It kind of made me feel older and like my dad, though (which it totally ok!) When he talks about music, he will often say, "Wow, you should have heard the big bands way back when. Woody Herman and the Thundering Herd! Those were the days!"

Now it's me watching Queen and huge concerts and going, "Those were the days!" :heart: :heart: :( :(

• Like 2

Congrats to Rami Malek and the writing/directing/producing team! Malek won a Golden Globe tonight for his portrayal of Mercury. The movie won the Golden Globe for Best Picture (Drama)!
  • Like 3

Congrats to Rami Malek and the writing/directing/producing team! Malek won a Golden Globe tonight for his portrayal of Mercury. The movie won the Golden Globe for Best Picture (Drama)!

:ebert:
  • Like 2

Bohemian Rhapsody

5 Oscar nominations

4 Oscar victories

Rami Malek wins best actor.

Freddie's legacy will live forever.

• Like 1