Jump to content


Bohemian Rhapsody movie - good or bad idea?

Queen movie bohemian rhapsody biopic

  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6582 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:13 PM

What do you think, Queen fans?  Can you get excited about actors playing the members of Queen?  Is this going to be too much information about Queen?  Would you rather there be some mystery?



Sponsored Post

#2 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6582 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

I already have some doubts, given that they show John singing along with the rest of the band in the studio...

#3 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5462 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

John did sing every once in a while. I'm not too concerned they get those kind of fine details totally correct, and I doubt they'll mess anything up too bad. Brian and Roger are overseeing the whole thing anyway.

I'm really very excited for it. The trailer looks fantastic.

#4 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 7467 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:24 PM

I'm interested in seeing it!  I wish it were coming out this summer instead of this fall.  I think Rami Malek will be better as Freddie than Sacha Baron Cohen; that casting never appealed to me since I always identified Baron Cohen with comedy. The soundtrack should be great!  :lol:

#5 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6582 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:46 PM

The May actor seems to be nailing it.  I'm not 100% yet about Rami, but the tongue in cheek thing was a good sell!

#6 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 60783 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:11 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 29 May 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

John did sing every once in a while. I'm not too concerned they get those kind of fine details totally correct, and I doubt they'll mess anything up too bad. Brian and Roger are overseeing the whole thing anyway.

I'm really very excited for it. The trailer looks fantastic.
I'm excited to see it.

#7 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88117 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.

#8 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 17355 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.
I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews.  It took something away from the movie.  But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.

#9 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88117 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.
I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews.  It took something away from the movie.  But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.
Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.

#10 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 17355 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.
I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews.  It took something away from the movie.  But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.
Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.
I am no fan of Jim Carrey but Man on the Moon is worth a watch. Ali, not so much.

#11 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88117 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.
I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews.  It took something away from the movie.  But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.
Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.
I am no fan of Jim Carrey but Man on the Moon is worth a watch. Ali, not so much.
I'll still give it a miss though, Carrey's antics have reached intolerable levels for me these days.

#12 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 17033 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Wonderland

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

Cautiously optimistic.

#13 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6582 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Not sure I need or want to know about some of the behind the scenes drama (although Queen is synonymous with drama) - it just seems a bit tabloidy...like the scene where Mercury slaps Taylor...I guess that's the point of the thing, but as a musician, I'd be content watching 2 hours of them creating, arranging and performing!  Still, I will see it.

#14 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 19730 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:23 AM

I just hope the movie stayed the same even with the director change since Singer was outed in the metoo movement.  This can hurt a movie at times like a certain box office disappointment from last week.  *cough*Solo*cough*

And in May of next year, Paramount has their Elton biopic with the actor from Kingsman.  Can’t help but think he got the role because of Sir Elton’s cameo in the sequel.

Edited by invisible airwave, 01 June 2018 - 09:26 AM.


#15 toymaker

toymaker

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6582 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

I wonder what actors they could find for a Rush movie...not really sure there could ever be an interesting enough movie there, though...

Edited by toymaker, 01 June 2018 - 05:49 PM.


#16 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 19730 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 01 June 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

I wonder what actors they could find for a Rush movie...not really sure there could ever be an interesting enough movie there, though...

If we could just find 80s era Tom Hanks for Neil Peart.

#17 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32173 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:19 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 01 June 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

I wonder what actors they could find for a Rush movie...not really sure there could ever be an interesting enough movie there, though...

Maybe. On paper the Rush doc didn’t seem like it’d be too popular but it was pretty successful even with non fans.

I’d go with the time from their bar band days up to the triumph of 2112. You’d be able to see the whole early 70s rock world scene with some of those bands they toured with and the pressure of the record company.



#18 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 82830 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:52 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.
I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews.  It took something away from the movie.  But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.
Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.
I am no fan of Jim Carrey but Man on the Moon is worth a watch. Ali, not so much.
I'll still give it a miss though, Carrey's antics have reached intolerable levels for me these days.
Man In The Moon is brilliant.

#19 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 88117 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:53 AM

View PostBabycat, on 02 June 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.
I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews.  It took something away from the movie.  But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.
Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.
I am no fan of Jim Carrey but Man on the Moon is worth a watch. Ali, not so much.
I'll still give it a miss though, Carrey's antics have reached intolerable levels for me these days.
Man In The Moon is brilliant.
*Flashes Baby*

#20 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32173 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:56 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 02 June 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 02 June 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:18 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 30 May 2018 - 01:53 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 30 May 2018 - 01:29 PM, said:

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.
I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews.  It took something away from the movie.  But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.
Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.
I am no fan of Jim Carrey but Man on the Moon is worth a watch. Ali, not so much.
I'll still give it a miss though, Carrey's antics have reached intolerable levels for me these days.
Man In The Moon is brilliant.
*Flashes Baby*

Man in the Moon is the only Jim Carrey movie I can think of that I enjoyed.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Queen, movie, bohemian rhapsody, biopic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users